TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Model X Timeline - From Prototype to Production

Discussion in 'Model X: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by bonnie, Mar 7, 2013.

1. bonnie

bonnie Oil is for sissies.

Heyyyyyy .... I was reporting on an exchange w/Tesla, NOT whining. The fact that I already have my Model X license plate (in addition to the one MikeL gave me, thanks!) is not a sign that I am impatient. No, not at all.

dsrpt ev.JPG

2. ModelS8794

ModelS8794 Member

I asked HQ about this and they responded apologizing that this was old content they had missed in their recent update of the site. Late 2014 is the current official estimate.

3. FlasherZ

FlasherZ Sig Model S + Sig Model X + Model 3 Resv

Great plate!

You're perfectly within normal bounds yet. You'll know if you get into risky territory if you still have no delivery date yet you've put a ribbon across her parking spot, sweeping it daily and you place a lawnchair where the driver's seat would be, closing your eyes and imagining how you'll feel as you take off from there...

:)

4. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

What about a chalk outline of where it will be parked with dimensions based on the Model S specs and inflated precisely by some assumed percentage?

5. spleen

spleen Active Member

You mean this isn't normal?? :scared:

6. MikeL

MikeL some guy

That's a great plate Bonnie. Punny & True. :cool: ML

7. gg_got_a_tesla

gg_got_a_tesla Model S: VIN 65513, Model 3: VIN 1913

For a sec there, I read that as "Desperate EV"!

8. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

By the time it's delivered, she will be.....

9. bonnie

Pffffyt. I have a Roadster.

10. Paul Carter

Paul Carter Active Member

Improved Model X planned!

From today's 2013 Q2 call.... Something wicked this way comes! :love:

Elon Musk

11. engle

engle Member

Elon / Tesla researchers if you're reading this, please make sure my 2014 Model X is self parallel parking like my 2012 Benz ML 350 Bluetec diesel it will compete with in the marketplace. It's a great feature and you already have the tech from Daimler. While you're at it distronic cruise control would be nice, too.

Thanks!

(Almost wrote Go Tesla! like Go Bears!). :)

12. AlMc

AlMc 'Senior Moments' member

A couple questions/thoughts:

1. Elon says they will be working hard to make the X better than the original prototype.....Any idea when we might see this version (car shows) based on how they released the S?

2. With the excellent crash test result release on 8/19 for the S. I think there will be more interest in Tesla and the 'S' in general, but there will be a specific increase in an X (AWD/family vehicle)...So, should TM focus more resources on getting the X out sooner than later...strike while you are 'hot'? I am not looking for them to rush out and have problems, but I think if they get another line going in the factory and start putting out some X versions, the demand is there.

3. Roll out slowed more because of supply chain problems (like batteries) or because they are refining the design/options?

Opinions?

13. aronth5

aronth5 Long Time Follower

I don't see Tesla changing their public timeline of late 2014 regardless of any momentum related to crash test results or any other announcements. They have a lot of work to do and rushing it would only back fire.

14. bonnie

Demand has not been the problem - no reason not to keep to the current timeline.

15. anticitizen13.7

anticitizen13.7 Not posting at TMC after 9/17/2018

I have two conflicting thoughts in the Model X. Thoughts?

First, the U.S. market is crazy for SUVs, and this makes me think that demand for X will be much higher than anyone expects. AWD is a big deal in states that see snow, even if the feature isn't really necessary for most people.

Second, the Model S is big enough that it can carry as much cargo as some SUVs. Maybe S will take some sales away from X.

16. brianstorms

brianstorms Member

While I agree there is and has been for years great US demand for SUVs, there's been less for luxury SUVs, priced $70k and up. So, I'm still skeptical of how many X's will sell in 2015. I worry the ASP of the X will rival Porsche Cayenne GTSs. I think many folks will wonder, even a $40k gas guzzling SUV owned & operated for 4 years would be cheaper to operate than an X would be to buy.

I hope I am completely wrong, of course.

17. AlMc

AlMc 'Senior Moments' member

IMO..both statements are correct but I do believe that the AWD aspect AND the third row seat that adults can actually fit in will be a big deal for families. If they can keep the X close in price to loaded Range Rovers/BMWs/Cayennes then I think it will be a huge hit. If TM announced that the X would be available starting in the next 3-6 months you would see reservations take off.....

18. Paul Carter

Paul Carter Active Member

#98 Paul Carter, Sep 11, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2013
    heard @ IAA-Frankfurt-Tesla-press-conference-on-Tuesday-September-10th. Was that Jerome speaking?

19. DaveT

DaveT Searcher of green pastures

Model X Timeline (Bonnie, clean-up pls)

I wouldn't expect an announcement like that to happen out of nowhere.

Doesn't Tesla need to release Model X alpha, beta, and release candidate before they go into production?

20. bonnie

Wellllll ... you can't blame me for wishful thinking. Truthfully, I think that they may pull a card out of their sleeve on something, just don't know what. Moved up production? Prob not. But something.

We have ridden in the alpha. Well some of us have. I think we're waiting on the release candidate right now. But we get off topic. I only brought it up because there will undoubtedly be some surprise sometime soon. It's the way of Tesla.