Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Tire Replacement

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My Tesla X as almost 50,000 miles and yesterday my original Continental tires "died". In Quebec half of the year is with mandatory winter tire. I did maybe half of this mileage towing. There is a big wear on the inside versus the outside of the tire. I need to buy 4 new tires. Any towing experience in relation to tires to shear?

My Tesla X as almost 50,000 miles and yesterday my original Continental tires "died". In Quebec half of the year is with mandatory winter tire. I did maybe half of this mileage towing. There is a big wear on the inside versus the outside of the tire.
That's pretty good really considering you were towing. I only got 29k miles with regular driving.

I had my low set to 55 mph and that probably contributed to the inside back tire wear. I have it set to 65 mph now which might help a bit but most of my driving was probably at 65 mph anyway.

When running with the trailer does it always stay at normal or higher?

That's pretty good really considering you were towing. I only got 29k miles with regular driving.

I had my low set to 55 mph and that probably contributed to the inside back tire wear. I have it set to 65 mph now which might help a bit but most of my driving was probably at 65 mph anyway.

When running with the trailer does it always stay at normal or higher?
Honestly I did not look constantly at that info. But I will. I think it is more normal or even low. I have used higher position in off paved road but at low speed. Did you hear about the Michelin Latitude sport 3?

You are lucky to get that many miles out of the soft Continental Tire. Mine were horrible with a blowout at 29,000, one hour after they were inspected at Tesla. Run from Continentals as fast as you can. No service, attitude, high price and poor quality. I love the Pirelli Verde at $235 ea from Discount Tire and they have a 65,000 mile warranty. Running great with 20K miles on them and 7 tread depth remaining.

You are lucky to get that many miles out of the soft Continental Tire. Mine were horrible with a blowout at 29,000, one hour after they were inspected at Tesla. Run from Continentals as fast as you can. No service, attitude, high price and poor quality. I love the Pirelli Verde at $235 ea from Discount Tire and they have a 65,000 mile warranty. Running great with 20K miles on them and 7 tread depth remaining.
Do you notice any difference in the road noise and handling with the Pirellis compared to the OEM Continental?

Do you notice any difference in the road noise and handling with the Pirellis compared to the OEM Continental?

I was told that the Pirellis would be stiffer with a rougher ride. I don't notice a rougher ride at all, but feel more in control in the Pirellis.
Value is the key factor. Mine was a misquote above. The blowout actually occurred at 20,000 miles with the Continentals. I think the OEMs might be a cheaper tire than the replacements. Had my tread read by Tesla on my new Raven (with OEM Continentals) after roughly 2,000 miles and the service rep told me they were at a 7 all the way around! New tires at a 7 Geez! Can't wait to get the Continentals off my Raven. I don't feel safe with them and the company is totally unresponsive to any negotiation. 2016 going strong with 6/7 readings on the Pirellis after 20,000 miles. Guaranteed to 65,000. Can't beat that.

I was told that the Pirellis would be stiffer with a rougher ride. I don't notice a rougher ride at all, but feel more in control in the Pirellis.
Value is the key factor. Mine was a misquote above. The blowout actually occurred at 20,000 miles with the Continentals. I think the OEMs might be a cheaper tire than the replacements. Had my tread read by Tesla on my new Raven (with OEM Continentals) after roughly 2,000 miles and the service rep told me they were at a 7 all the way around! New tires at a 7 Geez! Can't wait to get the Continentals off my Raven. I don't feel safe with them and the company is totally unresponsive to any negotiation. 2016 going strong with 6/7 readings on the Pirellis after 20,000 miles. Guaranteed to 65,000. Can't beat that.
Thanks for the useful info. Think I will pull the trigger for some Pirelli Verde’s.

How do the stopping distances compare? Typically higher mileage lifetime and lower cost would mean lower performance. Continentals may be more of a performance tire. I'd hate to sacrifice stopping distance to save money.

X's like to wear out the inside of the rear tires particularly. That is probably independent of tire brand. That wear pattern also seems to screw up the tire belts, which might contribute to a blowout. It should be extra bad if you keep the suspension in Low to avoid shudder under heavy acceleration.