Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X tires

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello everyone,

I have the stock Continential tires (Cross Contact LX Sport) and am trying to figure out if I’m just extremely unlucky or if there is something unique to these tires that make them more prone to picking up FOD (foreign object damage). I’ve had the car for about 1.5 years and 41,000 miles. In that time I’ve replaced 4 tires on separate occasions due to picking up nails. I live in suburban VA, generally only drive on main paved roads. There is no major construction going on in the area. My wife is convinced it’s the tires which doesn’t make much sense to me though after this 4th one even I’m starting to wonder so I thought I’d ask the question.

Anyone else have any high rate of tire replacements on their MX? Any other tire brands recommended for this vehicle?

Thanks guys!

Anecdotally I've had no puncture issues over ~60k miles on 20" cross contact. Replaced the whole set at just over 30k with even wear down to the bars, and I'm about to replace them again. I check the pressures once a week or before a long trip. The stickers say 42 psi, but for the 9 months of the year where we are prone to drastic cold snaps, I run 44 so it doesn't go under. I would doubt the 2 psi would make a significant difference to puncture protection, but I'm no rocket surgeon.

Hello everyone,

I have the stock Continential tires (Cross Contact LX Sport) and am trying to figure out if I’m just extremely unlucky or if there is something unique to these tires that make them more prone to picking up FOD (foreign object damage). I’ve had the car for about 1.5 years and 41,000 miles. In that time I’ve replaced 4 tires on separate occasions due to picking up nails. I live in suburban VA, generally only drive on main paved roads. There is no major construction going on in the area. My wife is convinced it’s the tires which doesn’t make much sense to me though after this 4th one even I’m starting to wonder so I thought I’d ask the question.

Anyone else have any high rate of tire replacements on their MX? Any other tire brands recommended for this vehicle?

Thanks guys!

I don't think it's unique to the X. In the past 20 years I've replaced maybe 2 tires total due to puncture. On 3 different Tesla's I'm averaging a puncture every 10,000 miles. Must be a Tesla problem (joking!)

There's too many variables to say it's a problem. If we wanted to start a conspiracy we could say these tires are inflated higher than normal PSI, the car weighs more, so perhaps the extra pressure/force allows punctures to happen more frequently.

I can make this up all day long but it's a stretch imo. What I did after my tires puncture - and subsequently learning that Tesla does not repair, they replace. I started plugging my tires on my own. A $10 tire plug kit and 15 minutes has been my solution every other time. Depending on which tire, I usually don't even need to pull it off the car. If you don't want to do it yourself, a shop usually will plug for cheap as well.