Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X to jump start an ICE pickup truck

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Non conventional question for the forum...

Seeking advising using a Model X to jump start another vehicle.

Using the B+ and ground marked under the frunk of a Model X, what would be the ramifications to jump start a cold, low voltage 12v battery on an ICE pickup truck?

Let's suppose both are connected via jumper cables and the truck starts.

What issues might come of the truck alternator now introduced into the 12V system on the X?

Would X be at risk?
Fuse blowout risk?
X charging system risk?

Other??

If this has been covered before, share the link. -TechVP

From all i have read the 12v in our cars is very small.the battery is the size of mower. Zero amps to go. Its just for dashboard.
I dont see it putting out any power to jump a ICE car.
I think you would blow up the system , trying to suck out all the amps needed to jump.
Buy a jump box.

Starter boxes aren't very expensive these days.

I guess if I didn't have any alternatives, I'd use the X to charge the truck's battery, and disconnect before cranking the truck. That way, the X won't be exposed to the voltage drop, or whatever spikes the alternator produces.

I don't actually know how well the X would cope with them, but I wouldn't want to find out the hard way.

• Helpful
Reactions: Kacey Green and GSP
Non conventional question for the forum...

Seeking advising using a Model X to jump start another vehicle.

Using the B+ and ground marked under the frunk of a Model X, what would be the ramifications to jump start a cold, low voltage 12v battery on an ICE pickup truck?

Let's suppose both are connected via jumper cables and the truck starts.

What issues might come of the truck alternator now introduced into the 12V system on the X?

Would X be at risk?
Fuse blowout risk?
X charging system risk?

Other??

If this has been covered before, share the link. -TechVP

Depends on the truck. but probably no significant issues.
By dependent on the truck, I mean a newer version vehicle in good repair, just a dead battery. Most newer vehicle need very little starting current, that's why you see the small battery packs now functioning as car starters.

Now if you are talking a F-350 diesel, that may be a different story.

Reactions: Kacey Green