TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Model X Tour???

Discussion in 'Model X' started by tdelta1000, Feb 15, 2012.

1. tdelta1000

tdelta1000 Active Member

How soon after the premier can we expect to get information on a Model X tour?

2. WhiteKnight

WhiteKnight _____ P85 #549 _____ Sig Red / Sig White

I think they said they would have an official unveiling of the Model X no sooner than the end of 2012. So what we're seeing right now is a prototype. Just like the original Model S prototype it could change substantially. It was 9 months before delivery that we had the big Model S unveiling event (10/1 - 7/1), so with a late 2013 release date you might not see anything before early 2013.

3. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

From a marketing viewpoint, you wouldn't want a tour to be too early. I'd pick a time well after the start of Model S production, so late 2012 (or maybe early 2013) makes sense.

4. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

"official unveiling"? Isn't that what happened last Thursday?

5. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

Do you mean a factory tour of some type? I'm not sure if they're going to have another Tesla Factory tour event for the Model X. I'd imagine that was pretty expensive to put on and they'll be running at full steam hopefully by next summer.

6. mikevbf

mikevbf Member

That make sense to me. They would not want to overshadow "The Year of the Model S". So I guess 2013 will be the year of the model X. Although they have set our expectation for sig end 2013, full production early 2014, I would not be surprised if everything came out up to a half year early. Call me optimistic.

7. bonnie

bonnie Oil is for sissies.

That factory tour is a major reason I have so much faith in Tesla. Amazing. Simply amazing. I'm still talking about it at work. :)

8. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

I took it that we were talking about a road "Tour" around the country as per the S-Prototype.

P.S. Bonnie, me too.

9. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

Ahh. I agree as well. I'd guess summer next year as well then.

10. tdelta1000

tdelta1000 Active Member

Bingo!

11. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

I'll bet there are a lot fewer differences than there were with the Model S. After all, this is built on a Tesla platform, not a converted Mercedes (IIRC), and the vehicle has substantial parts commonality with the Model S (per Elon in the Q4 conference call).

12. Vger

Vger Active Member

I would agree. I suspect that the exterior will change very little, except for perhaps the side mirrors, and ripple effects from that. The door dimensions may be tweaked. It is a big profitability opportunity for them to move the X along quickly without expensive re-working.

13. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

I suspect the fog lights will change. They look very similar to how the S' fog lights originally looked and those were changed. They don't seem very functional either.

14. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

15. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

16. tdelta1000

tdelta1000 Active Member

17. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

The white one in Geneva shows that there's at least a couple of prototypes. Would be nice for Tesla to come back to the tour idea now that Model S production is in full swing. Would also boost the book building for X reservations.

18. RDoc

RDoc S85D

Even though I'd like to get my X sooner, I'm kind of in favor of them waiting a bit more for a tour since the X they show on such a tour would have to be pretty close to the final one. I'd like them to learn some more lessons from the S before letting the design gel.