Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X : Touring Edition

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Model X has an EPA rating of 350-330 miles but we all know driving model X in winter (especially where it gets cold and snow). The real world driving range is ~ 65-68% of EPA which makes ~ 200-210 miles or even less. For normal city driving this is ok. But for tours during the winter, this range makes it practically useless as we have to stop frequently. Also when we supercharge and get to 90% the driving range for next stop is less than 180 miles, basically stopping every 2 to 2-1/2 hours for 25-30 mins which adversely effects your trip time. One of the argument is use sea heaters and do not HVAC to improve range, well buying such an expensive vehicle and having to compromise on creature comfort sucks. Do you guys think tesla will ever produce a longer range model X which has an EPA range of ~ 500 miles which gives at least 300 miles of continuous driving during winter with a fully loaded car.

What I don’t get it is they announced a cyber truck with 500 miles which i assume will be cheaper than current model X. But model X has still lower range.

Model X has an EPA rating of 350-330 miles but we all know driving model X in winter (especially where it gets cold and snow). The real world driving range is ~ 65-68% of EPA which makes ~ 200-210 miles or even less. For normal city driving this is ok. But for tours during the winter, this range makes it practically useless as we have to stop frequently. Also when we supercharge and get to 90% the driving range for next stop is less than 180 miles, basically stopping every 2 to 2-1/2 hours for 25-30 mins which adversely effects your trip time. One of the argument is use sea heaters and do not HVAC to improve range, well buying such an expensive vehicle and having to compromise on creature comfort sucks. Do you guys think tesla will ever produce a longer range model X which has an EPA range of ~ 500 miles which gives at least 300 miles of continuous driving during winter with a fully loaded car.

What I don’t get it is they announced a cyber truck with 500 miles which i assume will be cheaper than current model X. But model X has still lower range.
I am holding out for a little better winter mileage than your example. We are leaving Saturday for a trip from Indiana to central Kansas. A trip we made numerous times in our 2018 100D. I am expecting our new 2022 X (351 epa) to do much better, even though it will be around freezing. Why? 1.) the car is a few hundred pounds lighter; 2.) It has a heat pump rather the resistance heating of older models; 3.) Charging is MUCH faster, expecting to take advantage of the V3 Superchargers en route.

I expect to make the trip (roughly 700 miles) with only three stops to charge. In the 2018 it always required four, sometimes five If the weather was really nasty. So with one less required stop, and 250 Kw charging, I expect to shave at least an hour off total trip time, even with the smaller battery in the current models. It Is a delicate balance between weight and range, but I don’t think a car with 500 miles of range is all that necessary.