TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Model X--Tow capable?

Discussion in 'Model X' started by AnOutsider, Feb 8, 2012.

1. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

towing

Elon tweeted last night that the x will have enough torque to pull another SUV (sorry, mobile so can't grab the link easily)

---
    I am here: Google Maps

2. WarpedOne

WarpedOne Supreme Premier

Torque is not the problem, problem is average power i.e. PEM, and motor cooling .

3. roblab

roblab Active Member

#3 roblab, Feb 8, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 8, 2012
    Would make a great advertisement. It sounds like it would also pull a large economy sized boat. They ought to do the Dodge ad, panning from the rear, where he is towing about 5 trailers AND his big SUV. Only put the X in front towing him and his junk.

4. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

Woops I misread. He said out tow not tow any

5. jcstp

jcstp Active Member

#5 jcstp, Feb 8, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2012
    @scottkpotter Scott Potter
    @elonmusk will the X have a tow package? Tow capacity?

Elon Musk
    elonmusk Elon Musk
    @
    @scottkpotter Model X will be able to out tow almost any SUV or light truck. It has incredible torque.

6. JRP3

JRP3 Hyperactive Member

That statement is vague enough to be wrong and right at the same time :confused: No way the X is going to be able to tow the way a 3/4-1 ton diesel, which qualify as a light truck.

7. doug

doug Administrator / Head Moderator

Not seeing that tweet in Elon's history. Might he have changed his mind and deleted it? (Or maybe I just can't see it.)

8. Mycroft

Mycroft Life happens

He's deleted tweets in the past, including one recently that harshly criticized AT&T, but that tweet is still there. You have to click through to his Twitter home page to see it since he did an @reply.

9. jkirkebo

jkirkebo Model S P85+ VIN 14420 EU

Wasn't the statement "tow another SUV" ? Even a BMW 5-series can do that, the european version has a tow rating of ~4400 lbs. Even my VW Touran can tow 2900 lbs.

10. tdelta1000

tdelta1000 Active Member

I agree but I do feel that TM would have addressed those concerns during development. Now it's wait and see until full details are revealed about the X.

11. bonnie

bonnie Oil is for sissies.

No, it was 'out tow', meaning 'out perform'. At least that was my take on it.

12. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

He never said how far .... :)

13. Beavis

Beavis Signature 991

Do not tow me and my junk!

14. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

I thought it was, but when I went back it said "out tow". Maybe he deleted and corrected

15. Norbert

Norbert TSLA will win

It seems meanwhile Elon removed the tweet.

Not sure whether you misunderstood in the same way as AnOutsider. The tweet meant that due to its high torque, the Model X can tow more than most SUVs/light trucks (out-tow as in out-run). Or is that unlikely?

16. Norbert

Norbert TSLA will win

Yeah, probably requires an extra cautionary statement: "You can't tow a big boat *and* have the same range at the same time"... in an extra "Disclaimers" page on the website.

17. Lyon

Lyon 2016 S P100DL, 2016 X P90D

Yeah, he really can't be talking about the 3/4 or 1 ton diesels. It's not just the power train but the chassis that they've got on the Model X (I assume). Those pickups can handle huge amounts of weight and, as a result, have pretty stiff suspensions and heavy frames.

Also, they put out in the neighborhood of 800lb/ft of torque. It would be awesome if the Model X has similar numbers but I kind of doubt that it will be able to handle 15,000 lbs.

18. Waverider

Waverider Member

Who cares how much you can tow if you don't have the range to get anywhere? Saying the 160-mile S is fine because it's just a daily commuter is one thing. Towing for recreation is something completely different. Almost by definition, you're going to be towing something (boat, quads, bikes, etc.) somewhere at a significant distance from your house. Here in southern california, you'll probably be driving out into the desert to go offroading with your toys. Good luck charging for the return trip. So for the X to be a viable towing vehicle is going to have to have either more dense, or just more, batteries than the 300-mile S.

19. Norbert

Norbert TSLA will win

I suppose a lot of people choose recreations not too far from where they live.

While those who live further away from their favorite places might have to wait for battery tech to improve, we'll eventually have 500+ mile batteries and/or a good infrastructure, and by then Tesla will have a variety of cars ready to take advantage of them.

20. Lloyd

Lloyd Active Member

Use the supercharger in Baker to get home!