Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X--Tow capable?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not sure whether you misunderstood in the same way as AnOutsider. The tweet meant that due to its high torque, the Model X can tow more than most SUVs/light trucks (out-tow as in out-run). Or is that unlikely?
I understood the tweet correctly and think he overstated the case, maybe not realizing exactly how large some of the vehicles in the "light truck" category really are. Since the tweet seems to be gone I'd say someone pointed out his error.

Who cares how much you can tow if you don't have the range to get anywhere? ....

Towing is not only for recreation. Businesses from car detailers, construction, nurserys, solar installers (!), carterers, and horses use towing. Having a small container trailer allows a Small Business owner to have a vehicle that is not dedicated only to moving products or tools. Unhook and they have a Model X gas-free daily driver.

tesla-rangers-service-van_100230348_m.jpg

There are a dozen of the utility trailer companies with hundreds of models

http://wellscargo.com/wellscargo-trailers/models/

http://www.paceamerican.com/

http://www.haulmark.com/specialty-trailer/

Last edited:
I understood the tweet correctly and think he overstated the case, maybe not realizing exactly how large some of the vehicles in the "light truck" category really are. Since the tweet seems to be gone I'd say someone pointed out his error.

Since I don't know much about "light trucks", and also not what to expect from Model X in this regard, I looked up some 3/4 and "1-Ton Diesel Truck"s. So far they usually seem to have 260-400 hp. While I wouldn't be surprised if some have more than that, with apparently 435 hp, the Model S seems to compare pretty well at least in this regard, and I wouldn't expect less from the Model X. And in general electric cars are said to compare well regarding torque. So I can't tell (yet) why you expect the case to be overstated.

The number 435 hp for Model S is from here: The iconic Tesla Model S | The Green Energy Consulting Group
I didn't find any other info on that.

Last edited:
As someone mentioned above the frame and load carrying is also a consideration in towing. Unibody is not usually the choice for heavy towing. Plus the constant load on the pack from high sustained current levels to deliver all the required torque, which still probably won't match most large diesels. Then there is the fact that the tweet is gone....

Did anyone ask last night about towing capability for the Model X?
I'm beginning to see a number of things that would turn people off of this car already. The Falcon wings that will let in rain, be an issue in snow and may not work in many garages. The lack of a traditional ski rack (even if they have some fancy motorized option, that's going to be heavy and expensive), and no word on towing capability which will be important for some.

I'm not out to dispariage this thing, and I'm sure lots more info will come out over the next several months. Maybe the falcon wings are just an option and there will be traditional doors for those who don't want wings or who want a traditional luggage rack.

I just think that if they want to compete in the SUV market then they need to cater to the options that SUV buyers consider important and, so far, other than the traction control and seating I'm not seeing much effort at that.

I thought Elon's introduction of the Model X was very sparse on details. I expected him to talk a lot more in depth about the capabilities of the X.

I think in the end they figured that they didn't want to say something they would have to retract.

I was told by a rep that the range on the Model X would suffer when towing about the same as the range of an ICE when towing.

I think it was said somewhere in this forum that depending on the weight range could suffer from 30-50% and I don't tow anything but I could see MPG on an ICE drop from 18 to 9-12 MPG when towing heavy stuff.

If "range anxiety" is the only reason Tesla wouldn't support towing, that's a pretty piss-poor reason. Running A/C also reduces range, but they're installing that! Being able to haul my brush trailer 10 miles to the dump and back would be very convenient, and I'm sure that an 85kWh battery has more than enough juice for that.

If "range anxiety" is the only reason Tesla wouldn't support towing, that's a pretty piss-poor reason. Running A/C also reduces range, but they're installing that! Being able to haul my brush trailer 10 miles to the dump and back would be very convenient, and I'm sure that an 85kWh battery has more than enough juice for that.

If you get a Model X, I think you'll be able to haul your brush trailer to the dump faster and with better handling than any other vehicle if your trailer can handle it!

And I think that's the point to this. The Model X will do great hauling and towing stuff. But you might "burn" 20 miles of range hauling stuff 10 miles.

So someone with a Model X can tow a nice boat (or something similarly heavy) with ease for 100 miles. But the added weight and drag of towing will slice your range by as much as 50%. So there's little chance of driving on the highway 70 miles to your lake house and returning the same day without recharging. Whereas with an ICE you don't even think about range.

I think that qualifies as "recharging."

Yeah, sorry, I guess I was trying to say that a 10 or 20 kW charger (depending on how long you stay and how much charge you would need) might be preferable to having an extra ICE for that reason.

EDIT: BTW, When driving in remote areas I do think a lot about range, and where to find gas stations, with an ICE, as I don't like topping off all the time.