Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X tow capacity is too low for me

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What are you hoping to get? There isn't a single SUV for sale in the U.S. that has a 10,000 pound towing capacity, including the Suburban, Navigator, etc. the Model X is actually competitive with its market competitors (Acura, BMWs, M-B, Porsche/VW, Volvo, RR).

You'll have to wait until the Model X 3500 Dualie Rolling Coal Edition comes out in the spring.

Just another reason Tesla suits need to leave exacts to press releases and not twitter or interviews. Love what they stand for and everything but time and time again they make flat out false statements that can be thrown back at them 2 seconds after releasing something.

Quick broad statements that can be cleared up at a later time to not upset a pretty big chunk of customers is a good idea in interviews. Even "we would like" or "we are trying for" saves explaining later.

I'm curious what you guys will be towing with a $100k car. We have a Model S and a Ford F-150. I am hesitant to replace the F-150 with an X because of the added wear and tear. We also throw all the gear for the boat in the bed of the F-150. Don't think I would want that stuff in the back of the Model X. I think the Model X is more of a minivan replacement, which is very appealing to the masses.

I am not canceling, but I am very happy that I don't have a low reservation number and am being asked to commit on the information currently available. I have two X reservations - Sig 13XX and Production 1X (made at the X reveal event oh so many years ago). I love my 60kWh S and I'm increasingly reluctant to give it up.

Among the things that I need reassurance on are the second row seats (if they don't lie flat for hauling stuff around, that is likely a deal killer - the S seats lie flat - why wouldn't an SUV's???) and the driving position (which I'm going to need to drive the car to figure out - it's got to be as comfortable as the S)

Ten thousand pounds - this is a lot to tow, even with a three quarter ton truck. Living out in the hinterlands (central Alabama), I and my friends tow a lot of stuff, but 10,000 lb is very unusual to tow and not what you look for any SUV to tow. I mean really, horse trailers, camper trailers, "toy haulers" and even the biggest boat weigh much less than that. If you have to tow something that heavy, you need a one ton pickup, or one ton Suburban or Ford Excursion or something, not any kind of SUV.

My Q7 can tow 6600 lbs so I was hoping the Model X would be able to do the same. Many decent sized travel trailers have an empty weight of 4500-5500 lbs which fits nicely with a vehicle that can tow a little more than 6000 lbs. Bummer that they couldn't get a little higher towing capacity.

Reactions: Mattzilla
The 5,000lbs number is a little low but not outside of the realm of what I was expecting. 10,000 would be more than even the now discontinued 3/4ton Suburban (9,800 in 4x4 trim).

If this doesn't meet your needs, you should absolutely cancel your reservation and I understand your disappointment. I'm probably not getting rid of our Yukon XL Denali any time soon, for a number of reasons, towing being one.

Given the "pig in a poke" purchase aspect of the Signatures, and the likely "sig tax" (where the Signature invariably costs more than it would to get the regular-production configuration you wanted), I'd actually encourage anyone with any doubts to cancel a Signature order in favor of a regular-production order.

You may be able to get clarity from Tesla on the towing capacity if you call. It's perfectly likely that the Model X hitch is strictly a WC hitch, but it's just as likely that it has a WD rating which simply hasn't been published yet. But I wouldn't count on being able to get those specs until well after the Sigs have started being delivered.

I'm curious what you guys will be towing with a $100k car. We have a Model S and a Ford F-150. I am hesitant to replace the F-150 with an X because of the added wear and tear. We also throw all the gear for the boat in the bed of the F-150. Don't think I would want that stuff in the back of the Model X. I think the Model X is more of a minivan replacement, which is very appealing to the masses.
In my case I want one very nice SUV that can tow a travel trailer. Travel around . Park the trailer somewhere and then I have the ultimate car to drive around.
Also I will be able to move all kinds of stuff towing a utility trailer.

Be nice to Tow a travel trailer and not worry about MPG

My Dodge Ram Diesel can tow something like 16,000 lbs. But when I put 6,000 lbs behind it (boat on dual axle trailer) the MPG drops from 20 to 12 (depending on highway speed of course). I hope people don't expect some magic that will keep the range the same.

I would say wait until you can ask for details first (like spec sheet or when your Tesla rep can find out for you). It could be that the optional tow hitch is rated for 5000 lbs but there may be other hitches that can give higher ratings with the same receiver. It could be talking about the weigh distributing vs weight carrying hitches.

As for expecting Jim Chen to know all the details, I think that is unrealistic. The car was not finalized yet at that time and given Jim is Tesla's lawyer (not on the engineering side), he is not the best person in terms of knowing such details.

My Dodge Ram Diesel can tow something like 16,000 lbs. But when I put 6,000 lbs behind it (boat on dual axle trailer) the MPG drops from 20 to 12 (depending on highway speed of course). I hope people don't expect some magic that will keep the range the same.

Well, when the Telsa model S went from one motor (2 wheel drive) to two motor (all wheel drive) it became more efficient with better range ........:rolleyes::tongue:

Definitely call and try to get exact specs. Don't commit to a configuration until you can get exact specs on the towing. *Eventually* you'll reach someone in Tesla who will know the actual specs... but it might take a while, so I would not get a Sig.

It may well be that early testing showed the vehicle to be capable of towing a 10,000 load, but that does not necessarily grant it a 10,000 load rating.

The brakes need to be able to handle it, the transmission often need to have additional coolers, the suspension needs to be able to carry the weight (with acceptable comfort and control). It may be that the without a load transferring hitch that the final rating needed to be adjusted.

Believe a 10,000 capability might be there, but not a 10,000 rating.

Believe that Tesla is doing the right thing here, by giving it a conservative rating right out of the box. Maybe later editions might have higher ratings.

On a more positive note, maybe in the near future we will see the Model S achieve a 3,500 lb rating that will allow towing small boats, jet skis, snowmobiles, moving trailers or camping trailers. They certainly have the low end torque, and might give us even more flexibility with our all electric vehicles.

Transmission?

Coolers?

???

Yeah, that's old terminology but heavy towing would place additional strain on the reducing gear and other drive train components. They would require, at a minimum, extra cooling capacity. Most vehicles equipped for towing including extra cooling capacity for systems like the transmission.

As for braking, a heavy trailer should be equipped with its own brakes to help stop the extra weight.