Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Tow Hitch

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
First time attempting to use the hitch this weekend. My standard hitches do not fit in the Model X receiver. I thought it was the standard "Reese style" 2" x 2" but it doesn't fit. They fit in all my other vehicles though.

Has anyone else experienced this? Are we supposed to be using a smaller hitch mount or is my Tesla receiver no good?

I'll take some photos when I get the X back (in service) so you guys can see what i'm talking about. It's a standard 2" x 2" square "male" Reese ball mount and it will not fit into the Tesla "female" receiver. Crazy, I know.

I'll take some photos when I get the X back (in service) so you guys can see what i'm talking about. It's a standard 2" x 2" square "male" Reese ball mount and it will not fit into the Tesla "female" receiver. Crazy, I know.

It will be tight, but you should be able to get it in. I borrowed a utility trailer from my sister-in-law a while ago. The ball mount had been sitting for a couple of years. It took about 30 minutes to scrape off the rust, some steel wool and WD-40 to get it in, but eventually made it. A hammer helps too.

Last edited:
Reactions: jewilson2
Hi Jewilson2,

Follow what everyone here says...
I have recently purchase some different ball mounts to fit into the Bosal receiver.
The brand that I used was Curt.
The Curts are good ball mounts, but they seem to be heavily painted for corrosion resistance.
If you are at your hitch store, you may have to try a few before one fits.
If you are at home dealing with it, look at any marks on the 2 x 2 ball mount to see if the paint
is scuffed in any areas. These areas may need some sanding to allow a proper fit.

Good luck,

Shawn

The OP is using the Tesla hitch. As I understand it he is trying to connect his hitch ball (which does not come with the Model X) to the Tesla hitch receiver and is having difficulty.

Correct. I am using the Tesla provided RECEIVER with one of my existing hitch/ball mounts.

Mystery solved. I have a few of these hitches.....like 5. Just so happens, the one I decided to take with me last weekend to use in the X didn't fit. It's the newest one (no scratches) so of course I picked it. Now that I have the X home and tried them all, It's the only freaking one that doesn't fit.

So, nothing to see here folks. Other than make sure your brand new 2" x 2" ball mount doesn't have 1/8" of new paint on it.

Sorry for the confusion.

Reactions: Mbrockus