Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Tow Mode Suggestions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just finished my first experience towing with our X 100D and having put many miles towing with my GMC Sierra 3500 I have a few suggestions:

When trailer is attached tow mode is automatically activated and the following should occur:

1. Rear parking sensors are turned off
2. TACC defaults to 55mph on the highway
3. Auto tilting mirrors are turned off

DHG on Twitter

Just finished my first experience towing with our X 100D and having put many miles towing with my GMC Sierra 3500 I have a few suggestions:

When trailer is attached tow mode is automatically activated and the following should occur:

1. Rear parking sensors are turned off
2. TACC defaults to 55mph on the highway
3. Auto tilting mirrors are turned off

DHG on Twitter

Noticed your X has 22 inch wheels. Just wanted to make sure you knew about the 5000 vs 3500 lbs limitation when going from 20 inch to 22 inch wheels.

I agree with all of your suggestions.

My X is also set to Low by default. I raised it to standard first before towing but I am wondering if Tow Mode would have accomplished that automatically - I forgot to check.

My X is also set to Low by default. I raised it to standard first before towing but I am wondering if Tow Mode would have accomplished that automatically - I forgot to check.

I would caution that it doesn't do it consistently. The first couple of times I towed I noticed it automatically adjusted. Just two weeks ago, it was left in high, which was not fun. I wondered if it was part of auto-leveling, but it actually left the trailer at an angle. I had to disconnect and set it to standard before renabling and hooking everything back up. Perhaps it was something as a part of a software update, but a part of my checklist now is to make sure it's in standard and auto suspension is turned off.

Reactions: MXWing
I would caution that it doesn't do it consistently. The first couple of times I towed I noticed it automatically adjusted. Just two weeks ago, it was left in high, which was not fun. I wondered if it was part of auto-leveling, but it actually left the trailer at an angle. I had to disconnect and set it to standard before renabling and hooking everything back up. Perhaps it was something as a part of a software update, but a part of my checklist now is to make sure it's in standard and auto suspension is turned off.

Yes, I followed your instructions to a T and was very successful - thank you.

It doesn't make sense to leave something so important to chance. If it was done automatically - it ought to activate when "trailer mode" is turned on before you attach anything to the hitch.

I towed with our X for the first time this weekend. I agree the parking sensors need to be turned off, seriously annoying when trying to focus on backing up while having those wail away.

I had no issues lowering the suspension to standard from high while moving and noticing it.

Yes, I followed your instructions to a T and was very successful - thank you.

It doesn't make sense to leave something so important to chance. If it was done automatically - it ought to activate when "trailer mode" is turned on before you attach anything to the hitch.

In my haste to reply, I didn’t even realize it was you! Glad to hear it all went well.

Noticed your X has 22 inch wheels. Just wanted to make sure you knew about the 5000 vs 3500 lbs limitation when going from 20 inch to 22 inch wheels.

I agree with all of your suggestions.

The suspension stays in low. I checked.

My trailer is a light weight coming in at 350lbs (it’s 5’ wide and 8’ long on 12” tires. Handles well with weight on it) and our golf cart is 995lbs. Well below 3500lbs. I bought the trailer from Lowe’s, on Black Friday with a 10% off coupon I got on eBay for $540. I bought it specifically with its low weight in mind and 1700lb capacity. My journey from Palm Springs to LA I averaged 650wh/ mile. Which was actually really good. The 22” wheels are actually the issue with a 20% range loss just from those (according to Electrek). Because I had to turn around and come back in the same day (I was just dropping it off) I stopped on the outbound trip at Cabazon.