Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Tow package delays - any chance it will be a new set up?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
First Happy New Year!!

We took delivery of our X November 14th. On inspection at delivery I noticed the tow hitch was missing (as we now know the whole tow package is missing for many recent deliveries). In the meantime I also learned that while the tongue weight is 500lbs only 120 lbs is allowed for bike racks.

So I started looking at other options Draw-Tite Aftermarket Receiver Package (thanks Ohmman!) so we can have four bikes on the Thule xt pro T2 rack.

Since the tow system is missing I am thinking of just having the Draw Tite hitch installed. My question is (and I plan to pester the local SC about this this week) - is the tow hitch that is coming the same as the old Bosai Hitch with the 120lb restriction for bike racks, and if so can I get a credit of some sort for skipping it?

Reactions: JimVandegriff
Since the tow system is missing I am thinking of just having the Draw Tite hitch installed. My question is (and I plan to pester the local SC about this this week) - is the tow hitch that is coming the same as the old Bosai Hitch with the 120lb restriction for bike racks, and if so can I get a credit of some sort for skipping it?
I bought a loaner mid-Dec without a tow hitch but was told they were on backorder and I would get one in Feb. I specifically asked if it was the towing package that would allow a trailer to be towed (500lb tongue) AND NOT the 120lb 'bike' rack version. I was told it was the trailer version and they stopped making the bike rack version.

I'm a little confused how you are saying it is the 500lb TW version but you can only put 120lbs of bikes on it. That doesn't sound right. I'm sure there are other threads about this but just seemed odd to me.

Last edited:
I bought a loaner mid-Dec without a tow hitch but was told they were on backorder and I would get one in Feb. I specifically asked if it was the towing package that would allow a trailer to be towed (500lb tongue) AND NOT the 120lb 'bike' rack version. I was told it was the trailer version and they stopped making the bike rack version.
Thanks, Scottf200, my understanding was the towing trailer set up with the 500lb tongue weight still only allowed 120lbs for a bike rack as it is unsprung weight vs the trailer... Maybe I'll have to dig a bit more and get confirmation when I pester them this week....

Thanks, Scottf200, my understanding was the towing trailer set up with the 500lb tongue weight still only allowed 120lbs for a bike rack as it is unsprung weight vs the trailer... Maybe I'll have to dig a bit more and get confirmation when I pester them this week....
Thanks for the link to that thread. It was in July 2017 and I had wrecked (deer thru windshield) in June 2017 so I was in various statues of physical, mental well being, etc types of recover at that time.

Weird, I took delivery in August, had my car in back in October and had a due bill install the missing hitch.
Can you also confirm that it
a) comes with the 7 pin trailer plug in the back and
b) comes with the under the dash 4 pin trailer brake connection?

Via the Model X manual:
Trailer Brakes -- When towing a loaded trailer that weighs more than 1000 lbs (450 kg), Tesla recommends that the trailer be equipped with its own brake system adequate for the weight of the trailer. Ensure compliance with local regulations. Follow these steps to connect a brake controller: ....

Ahh crap, I’m in Reno, will check this weekend
That 4 pin brake pigtail is also shown in this document: http://www.adelman.com/model-x-brake-controller.pdf

Rest of manual page that shows where to find the under the dash 4 pin plug:
z4vgBzN.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: JimVandegriff

The risk, if you do this, is that Tesla may refuse to install the Trailer Mode firmware and may also refuse to install the 7 way connector.

Better to do the official Bosal install and switch out later if you really want to do that.

I have a few posts about this, search through my post history to find them.

Reactions: vandacca
Can you also confirm that it
a) comes with the 7 pin trailer plug in the back and
b) comes with the under the dash 4 pin trailer brake connection?
Via the Model X manual: ... > 1000 lbs use electric brake ...

FYI, I was taking my X to the service center from some other due bill items and to my surprise they told me that my towing package was there and available to be installed (originally I was told late Jan/Feb). I inquired about the above two connections and while the person checking me in didn't know he came back several minutes later and a senior tech explained it comes with all that wiring/plugs I questioned above.

FYI, I was taking my X to the service center from some other due bill items and to my surprise they told me that my towing package was there and available to be installed (originally I was told late Jan/Feb). I inquired about the above two connections and while the person checking me in didn't know he came back several minutes later and a senior tech explained it comes with all that wiring/plugs I questioned above.

That’s great to hear. When did you take delivery of your Model X?