Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X tow range with new Tesla "Tiny House"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

ecarfan

Recently Elon tweeted: "Tesla Powerwalls can support houses of any size, but the cool thing is we can tow this house around with a Model X!" He was referring to a new Tesla Energy marketing program that was launched in Australia and described here Tesla creates a ‘tiny house’ to feature its energy products

Reading Elon's tweet, reflecting on the Model X towing experiences described here on TMC where owners experience about a 50% decrease in range when towing a medium sized camper trailer, and looking at the photos of the Tesla Tiny House, I wonder how much more range is lost towing that box. :rolleyes: Of course the point of the marketing campaign is not that a Model X can tow your house. But I do get a chuckle out of the total lack of aerodynamic features of the Tiny House compared to the beautiful sleek shape of the Model X.

And for those who have posted about towing some sort of generator to use to recharge their Tesla in remote areas, this clearly is a solution: solar panels to Powerwall to Tesla HPC to car! You've got it all in one package. ;)

IMG_0407.JPG

Reactions: Cowby and vandacca
Yep its a brick on wheels. Kw/kilometers will be one of the first questions I'll ask them about when it rolls through Sydney AU. I have been told the solar is normal panels on the roof, which is a bit of a disappointment. Was looking forward to seeing some tesla roof in person

Reactions: MP3Mike
Will be stoping by to see this display tomorrow. Are there any questions that people want asked?
Yes. :) Please take close up photos of the tow hitch (is it the Bosal hitch or some other manufacturer?) and ask if they use weight distribution bars when towing, the weight of the trailer, and what the tongue weight value is with trailer connected.

Reactions: Jouley
Managed to get a chance to stop by the home and lifestyle expo today to see the Tesla tiny house.
Wow the Tesla display was busy. Couldn't get as many photos as I would have liked. A few observations: for some reason the display was inside. Possibly not by Telsa's choice. unfortunately they were positioned in a bad place for photos
20171029_110355.jpg

On the roof: a 6 panel set of regular solar @ 340W per panel. 2Kw total to charge the 2 on-board powerwall. One mounted inside, and one on the front. Inside was 2 hd tv's running display videos, nothing really taxing to the system.
20171029_110056.jpg

when inspecting the black MX 100D parked along side, noticed it did have a Bosal/oris hitch and was wearing 20" wheels.
when I happened to ask the staff at the show, how well it had been towing the rig? was met with a strange look. I suspect a freshly detailed MX was dropped along side. I was told the rig was weighing in at 2400kg with all the equipment inside.
20171029_105051.jpg

a sneaky inspection of the trailers compliance plate reviled a gvm/gtw of 3000kg and tongue weight of 280kg. i didn't see any signs of a weight distribution device on the front A frame ( i.e clamp witness marks ) or was it mentioned by any of the staff i spoke to.
20171029_105205.jpg

since I happened to arrive earlier than expected, went for a wander around the Sydney Olympic Park site. Though you might like some pics. ran into my first Veefill charger. offering CHAdeMO, CCS2? connections and had a good look at the solar towers.
20171029_094300.jpg

each of these 19 towers along the main road of the site adds up to 150kw total solar capacity and has been reported to have a yearly output of 219,000 kWh.

Attachments

• 20171029_110056.jpg
    20171029_110056.jpg
    174.6 KB · Views: 34
Reactions: MP3Mike
a sneaky inspection of the trailers compliance plate reviled a gvm/gtw of 3000kg and tongue weight of 280kg. i didn't see any signs of a weight distribution device on the front A frame ( i.e clamp witness marks ) or was it mentioned by any of the staff i spoke to.
Thanks for your photos and comments. So the trailer weights 2400kg. With that shape, I doubt an X100D could tow it more than 200km in ideal conditions without having to stop and charge.