Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X towing a Safari Condo A-2124 trailer

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
First picture of inside Alto A2124. More to come when done by photographer. After I will post tech picture.
Alto A23124 intérieur vue arrière.jpg

2556 lbs and max capacity is 3500 lbs. Hitch weight should be 10%. Still working on that on our side.
If by “hitch weight” you meant “tongue weight” (the amount of force pressing down on the Model X hitch) it should be between 10 and 15% of the trailer weight when loaded. Assuming that is about 3,000 lbs the tongue weight should be between 300 and 450 lbs.

How are you measuring your tongue weight?

The photo you posted looks like it was taken on the California coast.
Bonjour @ecarfan thank's for the follow-up. Looking forward to share more info. For now here is a promotional picture from SafariCondoView attachment 423139

Bonjour @ecarfan
Sorry for language fault, French is my primary language.

For tongue measurement I am working on it!
For the picture in California, you have good eyes but it is "photoshop miracle" !!
SafariCondo works and plan all that way: they take picture of nice areas and fusion it with picture taken inside the caravan at the factory.
The pro-photographer Stéphane Nadeau is the brother of the owner Daniel.
Stéphane did the picture a few months ago while on a road trip with his Tesla S.

I did not show the picture yet but I added 1000w of solar pannel on the top. The A2124 could take 1100w and even more if we did a good work like you did on your Alto.

For the space, I will bring more info. In the F1743 my wife's clothes were in the caravan and mine in the car ;) but now everything is in the AltoA.

For the windows, the 2 windows in the dining area gives great vision and air movement.

I will show more pictures in the coming days.

I took the my Calb LiFePo 288Ah pack out of the F1743 and put it in the A2124. I change the configuration and looking to push the size. I could go to 720Ah or 8.6Kw. What do you about that since you already have 600Ah if I remember? The A2124 as a bigger 3way fridge of 6.8cf with separated freezer more energy. I bought 2 induction trying to replace propane "GAZ".

Yes I have two 300Ah LiFePo batteries. More is always better when trying to kick propane addiction. :rolleyes:

Your fridge draws more power than mine.

Did you replace your propane stove unit with a 2-burner induction unit mounted in the countertop? I have a portable single burner induction cooktop that I use, typically on a small table just outside the trailer plugged into the 120V outlet located below the kitchen window, or on the kitchen counter if the weather is bad.

This thread is very interesting. The interior pictures are great and thank you for posting them.

When do you think the full specs and description will be on the Safari Condo web site ?

Great stuff, and thanks for sharing.
As I weigh my options, I am not so sure that a 10% gain in efficiency is worth the smaller cabin footprint as well as the extra 6k Canadian.
You're talking about 180 miles for a full-ish charge on a 100D vs 200 miles. With how quickly superchargers work, I think that I would prefer to have larger living space than just the efficiency satisfaction.....?

Isn't it straight math that 200 miles at 500wh/mi would be the ballpark we're talking about for 100D battery?
That is indeed basic math. Speaking only for myself, in the real world of towing with an X I don’t think that is the safe or practical approach. I don’t run my battery down to zero or very close to it before reaching my charging destination. I allow a significant buffer to allow for unexpected headwinds or other road conditions that can reduce my range, and reduce it at a faster rate compared to not towing. And the X100D battery only has the range you computed when it is brand new. After a year the range is reduced by 1-2%, sometimes more. That is just the nature of EV batteries.

So, based on all that, in my opinion a safe real world 100D towing range is going to be less than 180 miles, and that is under ideal conditions. When I am towing in ideal conditions I use <500Wh/mi and I plan my trips so that the distance between charging stops does not exceed 150 miles if at all possible.

Reactions: Nilnoc
Nous sommes d'accord.
I also never run it that low even towless.
Although I haven't yet towed a trailer with mine., I imagine that I would play exactly the same limits and rhythm, especially if dealing with cold weather at all. Not a fun game of "Press Your Luck"....no whammies....
What charge range do you keep for such 150 mile hops? Like down to 10% and then up to 80-90%? I imagine distance between charging points would dictate that often.
For the car alone, I usually never charge above 70%ish when travelling cross country.
Another question altogether when towing.

What charge range do you keep for such 150 mile hops? Like down to 10% and then up to 80-90%? I imagine distance between charging points would dictate that often.
I charge to at least 95%,higher if I have time (like if I’m at a campsite overnight that has power). I do not like to go below 10% to leave a margin, but my spouse doesn’t like to go below 20%. :cool:

To get back to the topic of this thread, I’m looking forward to more posts by @AltoGrayhound about his Wh/mi numbers when towing under a variety of conditions!

Reactions: Misterbee