Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X towing a Safari Condo A-2124 trailer

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What is the exterior height?
Based on a photo in post #11 in this thread, showing the A2124 next to an Alto F21214 model, I would say the height is something very close to 101 3/8”.

Safari Condo has not yet shown anything about the A2124 model on their website, like they do for all their other Alto trailer models.. It is not clear to me if the A2124 is going to be a regular production model or not.

I was not aware of that. That model is not shown on the Safari Condo website, and a web search does not find any references to it.

I don’t use Facebook. There must be information about it somewhere else.

Question for you if I may. Slightly off topic? You are using the Weigh Safe ball mount if I’m not mistaking. Are you happy with it? Would you recommend it? Does the scale work fairly well? Thanks for the info.

Question for you if I may. Slightly off topic? You are using the Weigh Safe ball mount if I’m not mistaking. Are you happy with it? Would you recommend it? Does the scale work fairly well? Thanks for the info.
Because your question is somewhat off topic for this thread, I have answered it in the thread I created in this forum about my experience towing a Safari Condo Alto F1743, see Towing an Alto F1743 trailer with a Model X

That said, I think the Weigh Safe hitch ball would be fine for towing the A-2124 as well. The critical thing is to follow the instructions for the Bosal hitch that comes with the X. The Bosal hitch that is part of the Model X towing package option specifies that the base of the hitch ball cannot be more than 0.75” above the top inner surface of the hitch receiver. That spec can be met by the Weigh Safe hitch ball.

@AltoGrayhound can you post some details about your hitch setup? Thanks.

Hello all,

Just arrived from a 2360 km tour for 3 weeks around of Gaspesie peninsula region in Quebec.
Anne-Marie and me are very happy with our new Alto A2124.
More spacious then our old F1743, it is a great life space for a long run for 2 person.
We specifically appreciated:
  • Great 116 cubic feet of storage space compare to 84 cf for the F1743 and 121 cf for the F2114.
  • Big King bed with easy access and great confort taking the memory foam option. It is a game changer for sleeping.
  • Window area is slightly higher at 38.9 sq ft compare with 36.7 sq ft for the F1743 and 38.1 sq ft for the F2114 even without the famous Alto round front window.
  • A panoramic window view in the back of the Alto A.
  • The front angled table is always in shade but with ample air circulation and nice 180 view.
  • Like the F2114 the A2124 fridge is a 7 cf with a separate freezer. On the other hand it it is using more energy than the great 4 cf 12V of the F1743.
  • The water tank of 100 liter has 40 liter more than the F1743 while the grey tank has 92 liter compare to 62 liter for the F1743.
As some of you might know I am towing the A2124 with an electric car a Tesla X 100D. This first long trip confirms the test done in April at St-Frederic factory:
The A2124 is realy aerodynamic.
We first went to the Safari-Condo Annual meeting in Kamouraska witch by the way was a great event. You should come next year.
After we took the road for Temiscouata lake region and then went to Chaleur Bay region than went to Forillon National Park.
On the south side of the peninsula the road is flat for most and wind usually low.
After Forillon on the North side of the peninsula until Montmagny the is always a front wind coming from the St-Laurence River and a lot of hills sometime with a lot of hight like in the Gaspesia National Park.
Between Forillon and Ste-Anne des Monts the average consumption was 410 wh/km.
With the F1743 last year I did some hight of 545wh/km( last year.
Our average for 2360km was 320 wh/km (515wh/mi). It is very good accounting the topography and the wind.
Last year in a 720km trip in the same area I had a 394 wh/km (634wh/mi) average with the F1743.
You need to remind that the A2124 is 800 pounds heavier that the F1743 and 4 feet longer.

It is a perfect duo for electric car but gives a good economy of gazoline for conventional cars.

I attached a few pictures of the inside to remind you how this is a great caravane.

Do not hesitate if you have questions or input. I will read you with great pleasure.
Redmond Hayes

Hello all,

Just arrived from a 2360 km tour for 3 weeks around of Gaspesie peninsula region in Quebec.
Anne-Marie and me are very happy with our new Alto A2124.
More spacious then our old F1743, it is a great life space for a long run for 2 person.
We specifically appreciated:
  • Great 116 cubic feet of storage space compare to 84 cf for the F1743 and 121 cf for the F2114.
  • Big King bed with easy access and great confort taking the memory foam option. It is a game changer for sleeping.
  • Window area is slightly higher at 38.9 sq ft compare with 36.7 sq ft for the F1743 and 38.1 sq ft for the F2114 even without the famous Alto round front window.
  • A panoramic window view in the back of the Alto A.
  • The front angled table is always in shade but with ample air circulation and nice 180 view.
  • Like the F2114 the A2124 fridge is a 7 cf with a separate freezer. On the other hand it it is using more energy than the great 4 cf 12V of the F1743.
  • The water tank of 100 liter has 40 liter more than the F1743 while the grey tank has 92 liter compare to 62 liter for the F1743.
As some of you might know I am towing the A2124 with an electric car a Tesla X 100D. This first long trip confirms the test done in April at St-Frederic factory:
The A2124 is realy aerodynamic.
We first went to the Safari-Condo Annual meeting in Kamouraska witch by the way was a great event. You should come next year.
After we took the road for Temiscouata lake region and then went to Chaleur Bay region than went to Forillon National Park.
On the south side of the peninsula the road is flat for most and wind usually low.
After Forillon on the North side of the peninsula until Montmagny the is always a front wind coming from the St-Laurence River and a lot of hills sometime with a lot of hight like in the Gaspesia National Park.
Between Forillon and Ste-Anne des Monts the average consumption was 410 wh/km.
With the F1743 last year I did some hight of 545wh/km( last year.
Our average for 2360km was 320 wh/km (515wh/mi). It is very good accounting the topography and the wind.
Last year in a 720km trip in the same area I had a 394 wh/km (634wh/mi) average with the F1743.
You need to remind that the A2124 is 800 pounds heavier that the F1743 and 4 feet longer.

It is a perfect duo for electric car but gives a good economy of gazoline for conventional cars.

I attached a few pictures of the inside to remind you how this is a great caravane.

Do not hesitate if you have questions or input. I will read you with great pleasure.
Redmond Hayes

Very interesting. No attached photos though. Would love to see.

Very interesting. No attached photos though. Would love to see.
Here they are. If you need more info do not hesitate.
Alto A2124 int Promo vue arrière panoramique.jpg
Alto A2124 int Promo vue arrière rangement.jpg
Alto A2124 int Promo vue arrière.jpg
Alto A2124 int promo vue central bas rés.jpg
Alto A2124 int Promo vue douche.jpg
Alto A2124 int. Promo vue central armoire cuisine.jpg
Alto A2124 int Promo vue table fromage.jpg
Alto A2124 int Promo vue rangement SB.jpg
Alto A2124 int Promo vue penderie.jpg
Alto A2124 int Promo vue frigo int.jpg
Alto A2124 int Promo vue douche.jpg
Alto A2124 int Promo vue arrière.jpg
Alto A2124 int Promo vue arrière rangement.jpg
Alto A2124 int Promo vue arrière panoramique.jpg

Great photos and write up of experiences!

I’ve been looking for a trailer that provides the right balance of size and efficiency for a few years and I think this is it! We also have a 100D Model X and I really like the design of this Safari.

Can’t wait to read all the details on their website when it’s updated!

Great photos and write up of experiences!

I’ve been looking for a trailer that provides the right balance of size and efficiency for a few years and I think this is it! We also have a 100D Model X and I really like the design of this Safari.

Can’t wait to read all the details on their website when it’s updated!
Seattle Tom, If you have any questions do not hesitate. I am working on excel sheet to post detail comparison. A first one was sold in USA for 2020 spring delivery. Here is my email if needed: [email protected]

Do you know how it compares to the R-1713 and R-1723 in terms of drag/efficiency?

I am looking to upgrade from a T@B 320 Clamshell. And while your efficiency numbers are definitely impressive, they actually aren't too much better than what I get with a smaller / less aerodynamic trailer. I'm wondering if the lower height of the retractable 1713 and 1723 actually make a bigger difference.

I'm wondering if the lower height of the retractable 1713 and 1723 actually make a bigger difference.
There is a thread about towing and energy usage at Model X Travel Trailer Consumption Analysis

To briefly answer your question; yes a smaller frontal area reduces drag which reduces energy usage but shape is also very important. I tow an Alto F1743, which is taller than the R series (when their roof is retracted). Based on energy usage data I have been able to find from R Alto owners my energy usage is about the same as theirs. The steeply angled rear slope of the roof on the R series is probably detrimental because of the turbulence created by the air coming off the side walls and interacting with the air flowing back and starting to separate from the roof (credit to @Zoomit for his analysis). The F series does not have that steep rear roof slope so the air exits somewhat more cleanly.

@AltoGrayhound energy usage towing his A2124 appears to be slightly less than mine.

Reactions: Brave Ulysses
Another data point for energy usage while towing the A2124 with an X. On the RV Village website, an X owner posted that they average about 520Wh/mi when towing their new A2124 with their X at 55mph, though they noted that under ideal conditions at that speed they can get just under 500. This is in line with what @AltoGrayhound has reported in this thread.

Those are basically the same numbers I get towing my F1743. Considering that the A2124 is significantly heavier, my conclusion is that the pointed nose design does offer some aerodynamic benefit.

It would be really interesting to compare Wh/m numbers between the A2114 and F2114 Altos. Same length, similar weights (the A is 200 lbs heavier), different shapes.

Last edited:
I’m looking at this same trailer, but thinking about using a Y as the tow vehicle. It meets the weight requirements, but I’m curious on rear view visibility given that the Y is narrower.
It’s only about 6” narrower than the X. As @Misterbee noted you can add side mirror extensions or do what I did; add a wireless rear camera to the trailer with a display mounted in the car. Significantly more expensive, but they you can see directly behind you. I describe what I did at the bottom of this page on my blog Improving the already impressive Alto trailer . This is the rear view camera I chose Wireless RV Backup Camera with Rear View Mirror Monitor

Reactions: Misterbee
We ordered an A2124 in Sept 2020. We live near Seattle, so we ordered from their BC dealer. It arrived in Dec 2021. We have only been able to use it a couple of times, and I unfortunately have not been good about resetting and checking the trip meter at the appropriate times. Our tow vehicle is a 2017 X 100D with 63k miles. But FWIW, we seem to be averaging roughly 600Wh/mi with it. That's not as good as I had hoped, but you know...variables.

A lot depends on speed, traffic, weather, etc. I think we've mostly kept our speed near 55mph, although we're not strict about it and have had it up to 65mph for brief periods. We have hit a little traffic, but not much. We have had some rain, but only briefly was it heavy. Temperatures have been 40-55, which is lower than ideal but not an enormous hit. I think we've likely had more wind on these trips than usual, but of course you can never predict that so you have to be prepared to take the efficiency hit on every trip.

We're mostly happy with the A2124 - it arrived clean and as described, and everything works. The triangular front dining area is a little harder to use than I'd hoped. There are a lot of nice little design touches, like the LED lights and 12V outlets, and the windows that open and have screens and great shades built in. We are still adjusting - some things that seemed easy in our old camper van we haven't figured out in this yet, like where is best to put shoes when you enter.

Silver Belle and Greyce.jpg

Last edited: