Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X: Towing a White Water Retro 15.5

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
EC68BD4F-F905-4C72-B8A6-165D356E0978.jpeg
CFBDD16E-0C68-4B23-BD9C-D1BC20A6EC79.jpeg
45379233-E4B4-4684-B0F8-AA9A7085F0F2.jpeg
536996BA-D785-40FC-BC82-42BAB0436FDC.jpeg
78382315-EAB9-42AD-855D-A5E1C907B452.jpeg
72F6F26F-4758-4DC0-996C-EE5412EC1E2A.jpeg
Took delivery of a Red 100D 9/11/17. We have 10,500 miles on it ~5 months later. Love this car! And Tesla Red looks as good on Earth as it does in orbit.
I have had a couple of DOH! User errors with the Bosal Hitch adaptor. Will probably do some you-tube videos to so people the gotchas so you don’t fall into the “this is broken” trap that I have fallen into. Even after towing with the vehicle for 5 months. We tow a White Water Retro 15.5 by Riverside. We are toying with upgrading with an airstream, but this little trailer is awesome except for the wet bathroom. (Shower and toilet in same room).
Our prior tow vehicle was a Volvo XC60 T6 (6 Cyl turbo). The Tesla is as good or better than the Volvo.
Generally our recent trips are to RV peaks within a single charge range <150 miles, but on occasion we have been at end of range and had to run around a city towing the trailer. So in those cases we needed to supercharge for 30min-1hr during a day. We also own a CHaDEMo adapter and I recommend lots of practice with this as the Chademo charge stations vary in ease of use and speed to begin charge. It’s not just plug in and go.
In the Pacific Northwest (Portland Oregon) the AV network is more reliable than Blink for a CHAdeMO. The one EVgo stations I’ve tried didnt work with any of my credit cars so likely it was just recently activated. Don’t count on Blink CHAdeMO stations to be operational. Use PlugShare and have a backup plan. Level 2 charging is too slow. So far superchargers seem spaced close enough that with a 100kwh battery you might not need a CHAdeMO adapter, but having it helps fill in the gaps. The downside of the AV network is the ~90 second keyfob authentication time +90 second wait to connect to the car. In Oregon this will mean 3-4 minutes of waiting in the rain. Put your krf keyfob up on the unit before going to the trunk for the adapter will give you something to do. All the CHAdeMO waiting makes you appreciate the Supercharging system even more. But CHAdeMO charging is just the thing to free you from range anxiety if you are towing. So far haven’t needed a CHAdeMO on our local (in-state).
Charging at RV parks has been terrific. However I find you often need to dial down from 40Amp to ~26Amps if the breaker trips. Depends on where you park. Newer RV parks seem to handle the load better than older ones.

[QUOTE="Charging at RV parks has been terrific. However I find you often need to dial down from 40Amp to ~26Amps if the breaker trips. Depends on where you park. Newer RV parks seem to handle the load better than older ones.[/QUOTE]
Congrautlations on the towing (and the cute trailer). I have to agree on the charging at campgrounds. We usually dial the car charging down to 28 amps or so from the 14-50 circuit, while using the 30 amp circuit to power the trailer. I agree that newer RV parks (or at least ones that have updated their power) can handle both at once. Again, congrats on your adventures.