Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Towing San Francisco Bay Area to Tahoe

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello, planning to tow my boat , about 3000lbs from SF Bay Area to Tahoe this summer in a Model X 90D. Anyone have any such experience?The only iffy part of the journey is from supercharger from Rocklin to Truckee supercharger where it's 80 miles apart. But I think it an up and down hill drive. I am wondering if Model X would make the climb without running out of juice. Thanks

Another consideration is how the SCs are set up on the path you're taking.

If they're not positioned right, you may have to disconnect the trailer to charge or block a # of stalls (like this person: Tesla Supercharger etiquette put forward after a misconduct by a Model X owner) to charge sideways or diagonally, due to the poor location of the inlet. And, blocking several stalls may not even be an option if you go to the SCs during a busy time.

And, if you block several stalls, you could become "famous". ;)

I have made the journey many times during the ski season with no issues in a Model S.
You should ensure that I have full charge at the Rocklin SC before going over Donner Pass.
Keep your speed at or under the speed limit and then recharge as needed at the Truckee SC.

Rocklin has pull throughs. You might need to coordinate with Tesla personnel during business hours as they put cars in there to charge during service or for demo's. There is an overhang so not sure how tall your boat is though.

The Truckee ones are going to be problematic. Back in only at Donner Pass Rd.

Thank you everyone for your comments and suggestions. I don't mind unhooking the boat trailer. I am more worry about the 80 miles of up and down driving that I have to make it from Rocklin to Truckee. I am wondering if anyone tried it.

Flatsix, we're you towing withyour model s?

Something tells me I might not make it.
Thanks,

Rundown

Thank you everyone for your comments and suggestions. I don't mind unhooking the boat trailer. I am more worry about the 80 miles of up and down driving that I have to make it from Rocklin to Truckee. I am wondering if anyone tried it. Flatsix, we're you towing withyour model s? Something tells me I might not make it.
Thanks,
Rundown

Not towing, but driving in conditions that reduce range including sleet, snow and low temperatures.
Take a look at the EV Trip planner to give you some peace of mind with the trip. EV Trip Planner
You can adjust the variables on the Tesla Model, speed, and payload to match your trip. :cool:

upload_2016-6-15_10-16-44.png

Last edited:
@rundown, Do you have consumption numbers for hauling your boat on highways without climbs? What is your average Wh/mi when towing? You could assume a similar % hit due to the elevation change, and estimate that way. Rough example:

EVTripplanner shows a P90D21 using 466Wh/mi for that route. It shows the same car using 320Wh/mi for San Francisco-Sacramento, a route with nearly no elevation change. So it's assuming additional consumption of about 46% due to elevation.

If you average, say, 550Wh/mi while towing (and I'm totally guessing), then you might use about 803Wh/mi. For 80 miles, that's 64kWh, giving you a bit of buffer.

Again, this is all very "fuzzy math" so take it with a grain of salt.

• Love
Reactions: xkwizit
Getting from the Rocklin Supercharger to Truckee will be tight due to added weight and aerodynamic drag. My calculations for the 2500 lb Bowlus trailer show that it's just barely possible. I would suggest charging to 95%, turning climate off, range mode on and driving 50-55 mph. You only need to get to the top of Donner Pass; regen will take you the rest of the way to the Truckee Supercharger. Expect to consume an extra 13 miles of range (Model X alone would be 8 miles) for each 1000' gain in elevation.