Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X towing test 2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Fully loaded. Dry the trailer is <4,600 lbs. Our essentials and supplies make up the rest to stay under 5,000 lbs. We tow with tanks empty since we plan to always go to full hookup places.

Did you have a chance to get the trailer weighed at all? We had looked at the R-Pod 193 and thought that was pushing it on weight limits after loading our stuff. We ended up buying a Surveyor 19BHLE instead just to give us some headroom on the 5000 GVWR rating.

It looks like you have the 22" rims, is that correct? If so I don't think they recommend you pull 5,000 lbs, more like 4,500 as the shorter sidewall cannot support the extra weight. Also the efficiency with 22" is worse than 20", maybe 10-15% difference. I got 600 wH/mi pulling a 19' airstream on my X with 20" rims. Thanks for posting!
No, both the original and the aftermarket are both 20”

Reactions: BM3B
Did you have a chance to get the trailer weighed at all? We had looked at the R-Pod 193 and thought that was pushing it on weight limits after loading our stuff. We ended up buying a Surveyor 19BHLE instead just to give us some headroom on the 5000 GVWR rating.
We took it to the scales, attached is the weight sheet. Steer weight is the car and axle weight is the trailer.

Attachments

• 3ED0E664-F7BA-44DC-85F5-307E44614468.jpeg
    3ED0E664-F7BA-44DC-85F5-307E44614468.jpeg
    514.9 KB · Views: 55
  • Love
Reactions: dmurphy
Awesome - and that's fully loaded? I guess I pack more crap than I need... LOL
It was fully loaded at that time. I’m sure we’ve added a few more pounds of crap since. We run with tanks empty because the places we visit are all full hookups including both 30 & 50 amp to charge car and run trailer. I did remove the mounted stabilizer jacks to save some weight and help with aerodynamics. I just carry the lite weight portable jacks Instead.

Reactions: dmurphy
It was fully loaded at that time. I’m sure we’ve added a few more pounds of crap since. We run with tanks empty because the places we visit are all full hookups including both 30 & 50 amp to charge car and run trailer. I did remove the mounted stabilizer jacks to save some weight and help with aerodynamics. I just carry the lite weight portable jacks Instead.

Makes sense - we don't dry camp either, so my tanks are dry too. Almost wish I could remove at least the fresh water tank and put more storage in its place. So which stab jacks are you using? I'm using the factory ones for now and they seem OK, but if you've got something better I'm all ears.

My challenge is that when I'm at parked at home, I have the front end cranked way up to level the camper. Thankfully it's only here while I prep it but still - I have to do a very odd dance to lower it down on the hitch because the Model X sits low (Well, relative to, say, an F-250 anyway.) I've got to lower it in phases so I can remove the blocks under the tongue jack and get it low enough to meet the hitch on the X. I'll have to take photos next time I do the dance... it's a process.

IMG_7514.jpeg

Reactions: BM3B
Makes sense - we don't dry camp either, so my tanks are dry too. Almost wish I could remove at least the fresh water tank and put more storage in its place. So which stab jacks are you using? I'm using the factory ones for now and they seem OK, but if you've got something better I'm all ears.

My challenge is that when I'm at parked at home, I have the front end cranked way up to level the camper. Thankfully it's only here while I prep it but still - I have to do a very odd dance to lower it down on the hitch because the Model X sits low (Well, relative to, say, an F-250 anyway.) I've got to lower it in phases so I can remove the blocks under the tongue jack and get it low enough to meet the hitch on the X. I'll have to take photos next time I do the dance... it's a process.

View attachment 657829
I feel for you with your tongue jack dilemma. I purchased the jacks on Amazon. Supposedly have a 6,000 lbs rating each. They are actually pretty sturdy, compact and easy to use.4CA055EC-2728-4720-B8F3-1A2DA074175F.jpeg