Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Towing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Im relatively new to the world of towing, when I have had to tow it’s been with a Land Crusier or similar and never had to worry about tow ball weight and all that. Model X only has a max tow ball weight of 90kg. My question is: what can you tow?

Seems the towing I’ve done in the past with a single axle trailer and a couple of loads of sand and metal wouldn’t be possible in the X.

Also why did we get stiffed with a ball joint and not the 2” receiver?

Im relatively new to the world of towing, when I have had to tow it’s been with a Land Crusier or similar and never had to worry about tow ball weight and all that. Model X only has a max tow ball weight of 90kg. My question is: what can you tow?

Seems the towing I’ve done in the past with a single axle trailer and a couple of loads of sand and metal wouldn’t be possible in the X.

Also why did we get stiffed with a ball joint and not the 2” receiver?

I believe that toe weight should generally be considered to be about 10% of trailer weight. So you should be able to tow a trailer that weighs up to about 1000kg.

Here's a random page that seems to have some interesting info Towball Weight and Trailer Stability

So 10% is a good guide, but European spec (which is what Tesla is using with the 90kg nose/ball weight fixed neck ball we get here) allows greater as long as the trailer supports anti sway tech.

I have an Adria caravan that is 100kg max ball weight and an ATM of 1600kg. Our Tiguan can tow that (up to a max 2500kg ATM).

This doesn’t work if you have a standard brake trailer rather than an Alko-chassis euro caravan. Stick to 10%.

If you can get the Tesla hitch from the USA it can handle a higher nose/ball weight which would allow a larger ATM using the 10% rule.

Shane.

If the trailer is well balanced there shouldn't be too much down-weight on the hitch.
If you can pick up the trailer hitch with one hand, it isn't putting 90kg on the tow ball!
I know there's bouncing and so on during driving, but still, if it's a fairly balanced load there will be very little downforce on the tow hitch.