Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X TPMS

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
From page 142 in the manual. Not the exact issue you are having but could be related:
"The Tire Pressure indicator light does not immediately turn off when you adjust tire pressure. After inflating the tire to the recommended pressure, you must drive over 25 mph (40 km/h) for more than 10 minutes to activate the Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS), which turns off the Tire Pressure indicator light."

Are the TPMS the same as the Model S?

According to my SA, they are different and come with different pricing as well. Was told that the S tpms costs $30 each while the Xs cost $50 each. You also cant reset the tpms on the X from the UI. You would need to bring it into sc to get new tpms logged to the car. On the S, you can just reset the sensors on the screen.

• Informative
Reactions: FarmerDave
Thats correct...kinda annoying. SC will charge $90 everytime that needs to be done. I dont see why they couldnt have done it like the Model S

I guess that's why the SC suggested I just get winter tires mounted on my stock wheels for the winter time. I can't imagine it would be cheaper to do that every season, but it would save a 360 mile round trip. I hope Tesla releases a TPMS sensor reset option in a software update before the winter time.

So I reached out to my local SC. Can't say enough good things about Tesla service! Here's the response:

"The tire pressure system on the Model X will actually go through an automatic learning procedure so you do not need to activate a reset through the touchscreen...The Model X will not know the difference between Tesla and aftermarket sensors...I will caution you to the fact we have not seen many customers have luck in the aftermarket sensor department."

Interesting information. So if I purchase a set of Tesla winter tires and swap them out myself and start driving around, the vehicle will automatically recognize the winter tire TPMS sensors? I guess that's why it takes some driving time to get a TPMS reading on the cluster. Must be some kind of initialization and handshaking that needs to happen when the TMPS sensor detects movement. This might also act as a safeguard against malicious TPMS sensor attack vectors if there's some kind of rolling code used between the TPMS sensor and vehicle every time the car is used.