Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Tracker (ModelXTracker.com)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Darryl

ModelXTracker.com Co-Adm
Jul 27, 2015
Palm Beach FL
First I want to thank everyone who has contributed to the ModelXTracker.com system. We currently have over 2,300 records in the system which I estimate to be over 10% of the total reservations for Model X. Paul has done I great job of building the application and we recently have launched Model3Tracker.info which is growing fast as the word spreads about this application.

We try to review the data on a regular basis and correct information where we can. For examples I spend the last several days correcting dates where people entered 2015 when obvious they meant 2016. I also recently went through and contacted several users who had inadvertently entered a five seat model when they had really ordered a six seat model. Several five seat orderors got excited when they discovered a 5 seat car was being delivery when in reality it was a data entry mistake.

There is a couple of areas where we would like your help with. First is the VIN number, there has been around 1-2% of the users who obfuscate (mask) their VIN, I guess because they figure the VIN is a piece of sensitive data. These individuals seem to think that a VIN number is like a Credit Card or Social Security Number, which it is not. No sensitive information can be pulled on the owner of the car with a VIN, just technical information about the vehicle itself. The VIN is displayed in the window of the car for all to see. Therefore I ask when your car is assigned a VIN please update ModelXTracker with either the whole VIN or at least the last 5 digits. For those who have already entered a masked VIN please update with a valid VIN. This will save me from having to send out individual requests to update the VIN as it is a lot of work. As most of you know we rely on a valid VIN to keep the Dashboard up-to-date.

Next, where both the city and state are optional fields we recommend you enter this information. We use this information to generate the World Map of Tesla Cars. If you don't enter this information it ends up going on the map in the center of the region or if you only put state in the center of the state and requires extra manual work to get it to look right. in general with just a city and state it is doubtful if anyone could track you down, especially since we don't display your name with the record on only screen or on any report. We don't even collect your actual name just your screen identification.

It would make our life a lot easier if you could provide an unmasked VIN and would make the system data more valuable to all if you entered your City and State.

There is only a couple of us providing assistance for these two application (ModelXTracker and Model3Tracker) and this is just volunteer work. After all we have real jobs to go to.

Thank you for your assistance on this matter.

Last edited:
It looks like my plea to get people to help us by updating their ModelXTracker records has fallen on deaf ears. There is a very small minority who have not provided the requested information even after posting this message and sending out emails to those where we need missing or incorrect information. I hate to take the next step.

On the other hand we have recently had wonderful success with Model 3 Tracker. We are already up to about 3000 records and we are growing each day. There had been at least five different EV articles citing the information which has helped boost the enrollment.

Just as information, ModelXTracker.com dashboard shows a person who ordered a 70D (75D) having received a VIN. I contacted this person and he says he had ordered a 90D and received his VIN at about the same time he downgraded to a 75D. Therefore there are no individuals who have ordered a 70D75D who have received a VIN.

ModelXTracker.com Co-Administrator

Reactions: hiroshiy
There is a couple of areas where we would like your help with. First is the VIN number, there has been around 1-2% of the users who obfuscate (mask) their VIN, I guess because they figure the VIN is a piece of sensitive data. These individuals seem to think that a VIN number is like a Credit Card or Social Security Number, which it is not. No sensitive information can be pulled on the owner of the car with a VIN, just technical information about the vehicle itself. The VIN is displayed in the window of the car for all to see. Therefore I ask when your car is assigned a VIN please update ModelXTracker with either the whole VIN or at least the last 5 digits. For those who have already entered a masked VIN please update with a valid VIN. This will save me from having to send out individual requests to update the VIN as it is a lot of work. As most of you know we rely on a valid VIN to keep the Dashboard up-to-date.

Regarding the VIN, although it can be seen publicly, there is a difference between someone walking up to your car to look at your VIN and posting it for the entire internet to see. I can think if two ways a nefarious person could use my full VIN. One, Tesla states they have been receiving a lot of fraudulent orders for Wall Connectors and you need to enter your VIN to purchase one. Second, there were reports of people filing a fraudulent federal tax return claiming the $7,500 credit using other people's VINs. Sure you eventually should get the credit, but the IRS is going to reject your proper claim initially and you are going to go through a huge hassle to get it all sorted out.

I appreciate all of the hard work you guys are doing, but personally I wouldn't be comfortable posting my full VIN.

@Daryl and @Paul Carter : Thank you for all the great work on the tracker sites!!
Is there a way to track down the average time from VIN assignment to delivery for a certain X variant ? (lets say 90D).
I am sure this is possible using the data that's available and easily done by writing a query, my question is more inclined towards the existing website graphs and reports already showing this (and something I might have missed seeing). Thanks again!

@Daryl and @Paul Carter : Thank you for all the great work on the tracker sites!!
Is there a way to track down the average time from VIN assignment to delivery for a certain X variant ? (lets say 90D).
I am sure this is possible using the data that's available and easily done by writing a query, my question is more inclined towards the existing website graphs and reports already showing this (and something I might have missed seeing). Thanks again!
I have a few new reports and graphs in progress, but the data is very sparse to see how I can present it well.
All Model X owners, please contribute your data to help pretty please!

Also added: enhanced Autopilot and Full Self-Driving configuration options.

Hi, I just noticed this tracker and just entered my data, but with my Android M phone I couldn't enter October in the VIN date field. I was trying to type 2016-10-07 but it always become 2016-01-xx instead.
Hi hiroshiy. Thanks for reporting. I've fixed your record for you. Seems like the input mask field is giving you some trouble. If you click at the end of the field and use the delete/backspace button, you should be able to clear out the field and be able to type it correctly.

Hi, @Paul Carter ,thanks for correction!
I also entered my VIN as well. It seems the tracker doesn't have a lot of Japanese cars.
Thanks hiroshiy. In the Model3Tracker.info I'm also seeing a very low participation (only 2 records out of ~ 5,100 records). I was thinking this maybe related to an English bias website. Do you think if we a localization for Japanese would help the uptake if we had someone get the world out in Japan both both trackers? I've got experience in running multi-language websites, but don't have the cycles to do a proper translation and promotion in the localized country.

Thanks hiroshiy. In the Model3Tracker.info I'm also seeing a very low participation (only 2 records out of ~ 5,100 records). I was thinking this maybe related to an English bias website. Do you think if we a localization for Japanese would help the uptake if we had someone get the world out in Japan both both trackers? I've got experience in running multi-language websites, but don't have the cycles to do a proper translation and promotion in the localized country.
Typically Japanese don't read or write English so it is understandable. I'm not sure how many Japanese people sign up to use modelxtracker or model3tracker if these are available in Japanese language, but if you are willing to, I can help translating all the words for the web app.

Just for your info I ordered model X but here it is too big to fit in the garage or any kind of parking space here in Tokyo. It won't sell. Maybe a little.

• Informative
Reactions: Paul Carter
assigned VIN numbers have now reached over 30,000 as of November 15. If you had a delivery of a Model X and know your key assembly dates, please do add your data. I was trying to make some reports on order to delivery, but lacking data. If you've recently ordered, please also contribute as its been very helpful. Its interesting to see a lot of old reservations turning into orders all of a sudden. Folding?