Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X trailer mode

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you have to stop and unhook-charge-rehook every couple of hours while on a day long trip to go camping, this is going to get pretty old pretty quick.

Doubtful, not for me anyway. I've done it enough times that I know what it entails - and it's not one of those tasks that I dread. I'm more than familiar with what has to be done and just don't see it as an issue for me. Ymmv.

Now if I had to back the trailer around a curve into a tight space... just not good at that particular task just yet. I'd probably be out in my driveway practicing until I could nail it every time. :)

You know if it allows supercharging while a trailer is attached that no one (ie, <1%) will actually drop the trailer instead of just pulling up to the stalls sideways when possible, blocking multiple stalls. Don't kid yourselves.

Please don't do this...(park blocking multiple Supercharger spots))

attachment.php?attachmentid=55982&d=1407509671.jpg

Last edited:
If you have to stop and unhook-charge-rehook every couple of hours while on a day long trip to go camping, this is going to get pretty old pretty quick.
With a backup camera (that has the tow ball in frame), it's pretty easy, even if you have a heavy tongue weight and need to jack it up to unhook.

If the trailer is light enough you can lift it off the hitch and roll it around, uncouple/recouple is trivial.

That reminds me, before boating season starts, I need to install the backup camera kit I bought 3 years ago. :rolleyes:

You know if it allows supercharging while a trailer is attached that no one (ie, <1%) will actually drop the trailer instead of just pulling up to the stalls sideways when possible, blocking multiple stalls. Don't kid yourselves.

I have to admit, it would be a really big hassle to take off a bike rack (as in the picture). Maybe if they used the charger to the far right, they would have occupied only the charger that they were attached to.

It would be helpful if Tesla made the end chargers tow-friendly by simply allowing a little bit more room around the charger.

I have to admit, it would be a really big hassle to take off a bike rack (as in the picture). Maybe if they used the charger to the far right, they would have occupied only the charger that they were attached to.

It would be helpful if Tesla made the end chargers tow-friendly by simply allowing a little bit more room around the charger.
He was trying not block the handicap stall. I think I was present at that moment with a few other owners in dismay (or a very similar situation). The one I saw in which the owner came back with his family after supercharging then proceeded to take the bikes off and tie them to the fence. Shakes head.

I am waiting to see if the X will be able to tow a 2700 pound pop up camper that I currently tow with a Honda Odyssey. I would prefer to NOT have to unhook at SC stations. We used to drive from TX to NM or CO. I don't know why anyone would think towing is only a local or short distance thing. I don't know if this will work, but if not it will be a deal breaker for me.

In my opinion, if it can't tow 2,700 lbs, it can't tow. I'm hoping for 7,000 lbs.

- - - Updated - - -

Just to be clear: I referred to Supercharging while towing being an infrequent event, not an inconceivable event. I'll stick with that and also say (as someone who does regularly tow a horse trailer) that I see no problem in unhitching to use a Supercharger.

Anyone towing heavy loads 2,000 miles every weekend might want to consider moving house. ;-)

I don't know about Florida, but out here on the west coast, it is common to take the family 'camping' 2-3 times per year (more for some families) where we travel all around the west coast. Our family will usually travel 6-8 hours - camp for a few nights, lather, rinse, repeat. We currently have a Toyota Sequoia that goes from 12.5 MPG to 9 when we tow our 7,500 lb trailer. If the Model X can tow anywhere near 7,000 lbs it would be a game changer for us and allow us to sell our current SUV/Trailer and get a smaller one and travel 'free'. I wouldn't mind the inconvenience of unhooking at Superchargers. I tweeted Elon a LONG time ago as they were building out the Superchargers warning him of exactly this problem (Model X + trailer = bad supercharging experience) but it seems no solution has been provided.

Doubtful, not for me anyway. I've done it enough times that I know what it entails - and it's not one of those tasks that I dread. I'm more than familiar with what has to be done and just don't see it as an issue for me. Ymmv.

Now if I had to back the trailer around a curve into a tight space... just not good at that particular task just yet. I'd probably be out in my driveway practicing until I could nail it every time. :)

Some people may end up needing the SC equivalent of the UMC extension cord:
Tesla UMC Extension Cord via Camco 50 AMP 30 PowerGrip - TESLARATI.com

Some people may end up needing the SC equivalent of the UMC extension cord:
Tesla UMC Extension Cord via Camco 50 AMP 30 PowerGrip - TESLARATI.com

I don't think Tesla would allow a supercharger extension cord, honestly. It would likely cause safety checks to fail any not work at all anyway due to increased voltage drop from the longer line, unless you were using maybe 400mcm wiring for the extension. That weighs about 2.7 lbs per foot for two conductors, so a 20 ft extension would weigh at least 54 lbs (plus signaling conductors, and ground wire). Oh, and it would be pretty much impossible to bend. For perspective, imagine trying to coil/uncoil a length of 1/2" steel rebar.

The supercharger cable is able to be flexible because they use smaller parallel conductors for each terminal for the short length from the top of the pedestal to the car end connector. Inside the pedestal it connects to the super heavy wire that goes to the cabinet. This is calculated out for the ampacity required so that it is safe for that short length from the pedestal to the car. To extend it you'd need to jump back up to even heavier wire than the run to the cabinet to minimize losses from the flexible cable on the pedestal. Doubt you'll want to coil it up and keep it in your trunk, let alone actually use it.

TLDR/Long story short: We'll never see a supercharger extension cable. Ever.

Petrol stations have the pump parallel to the vehicles so that any length of vehicle can use it. I wonder if Tesla should change the design of the Supercharges to be more drive-thru? Or have at least 1 car parking space perpendicular to the others which is long enough for trailers. Like they have long parking spaces at diy stores for people in the trade who arrive in vans and trucks.

attachment.php?attachmentid=55982&d=1407509671.jpg
I will be using a hitch mount bike rack and will be doing this unless Tesla provides some pull through Superchargers. No, I won't leave the car unattended.

Another solution would be to move those signs out from betweeen the pedestals so hitch mount rack users can back in. Presuming there's enough space between them.

Cheers!

Last edited:
I will be using a hitch mount bike rack and will be doing this unless Tesla provides some pull through Superchargers. No, I won't leave the car unattended.

Another solution would be to move those signs out from between the pedestals so hitch mount rack users can back in. Presuming there's enough space between them.

I feel the same way. Also, removing those "No Parking" signs seem like a really good idea.

With a backup camera (that has the tow ball in frame), it's pretty easy, even if you have a heavy tongue weight and need to jack it up to unhook.

If the trailer is light enough you can lift it off the hitch and roll it around, uncouple/recouple is trivial.

My Honda has a backup camera and it does make hooking up to the trailer a breeze. That's not the issue though. This pop-up can't be rolled around very easily by hand. And forget just lifting the tongue onto the hitch ball. There it too much tongue weight. I have been in tight parking spots with the trailer before. I have only been to one SC (the new one in Hookset NH) and while there seems to be a lot of room to drop the trailer and charge, I don't know that it will always be the case.

There was one BBQ stop in Durango a few years ago where I didn't think I was going to be able to get out of the parking lot once I drove in, let alone find a parking spot for both the van and the trailer. We got lucky, but it made me more wary of making sure I have enough room to turn.

BTW, I have been backing boat trailers for 20 years so it isn't like I don't know what I am doing with trailers and backing. ;)

In my opinion, if it can't tow 2,700 lbs, it can't tow. I'm hoping for 7,000 lbs.

I'm just wondering what sort of range you would expect to get if the frame will actually handle a class III hitch towing 7000 lbs?

Last edited:
My Honda has a backup camera and it does make hooking up to the trailer a breeze. That's not the issue though. This pop-up can't be rolled around very easily by hand. And forget just lifting the tongue onto the hitch ball. There it too much tongue weight.

My GO trailer is super light (840#) with a tongue weight of only 70#, so moving it around is a non-issue.

Another solution would be to move those signs out from betweeen the pedestals so hitch mount rack users can back in. Presuming there's enough space between them.

Cheers!

Not leaving the car unattended as in, you'll move if others need the spots? Because if I found you parked like that and you either weren't there or didn't move when I needed a spot to charge to continue my travels, not to sound too much like an ass, but my next move would be calling Tesla and probably the local authorities.

I don't think right now this will be much of an issue (most superchargers I've visited are usually empty) but in the coming years it will be. With 100+ new Model S on the road per day now I think the superchargers are going to see a pretty linear increase in usage.

Not leaving the car unattended as in, you'll move if others need the spots? Because if I found you parked like that and you either weren't there or didn't move when I needed a spot to charge to continue my travels, not to sound too much like an ass, but my next move would be calling Tesla and probably the local authorities.

I don't think right now this will be much of an issue (most superchargers I've visited are usually empty) but in the coming years it will be. With 100+ new Model S on the road per day now I think the superchargers are going to see a pretty linear increase in usage.
Yes, that's what I meant by not leaving it unattended. It was (mostly) an empty threat anyway as I believe Tesla will make adjustments to the Superchargers by adding more or reconfiguring the existing stalls to accomodate folks with trailers or hitch mount racks.

If not, I guess it's a good thing we're on opposite coasts! ;-)

Cheers!

"Trailer backing assist" Put it in reverse, press the trailer-mode button, take your hands off the wheel, touch the gas pedal and the X+trailer reverse perfectly straight with the computer doing the steering adjustments to keep it that way. Grab the wheel to resume manual control.

Just a stray thought. Backing up with a trailer causes some people a lot of anxiety. Especially if you don't have a good view of the trailer other than in the mirrors.

I'm just wondering what sort of range you would expect to get if the frame will actually handle a class III hitch towing 7000 lbs?
I expect at worst the same range loss than I get with my Toyota Sequoia towing almost 8,000 lbs, and that's less than 30% loss. Still plenty to get from one supercharger to the next (this has been discussed in other forums).

- - - Updated - - -

One more note. I think there are a couple unknowns that should only make the range loss smaller.
1) towing a trailer on the highway is primarily a drag (wind resistence) problem, my sequoia and trailer are pretty bad when it comes to wind resistence, so I would focus on a more effecient design for the trailer
2) regen from a trailer 'pushing' the Model X when slowing (not braking) might be pretty significant, effectively getting back some of the energy used to get the trailer going. This might be nothing, but it might help a bit.

I expect at worst the same range loss than I get with my Toyota Sequoia towing almost 8,000 lbs, and that's less than 30% loss. Still plenty to get from one supercharger to the next (this has been discussed in other forums).

- - - Updated - - -

One more note. I think there are a couple unknowns that should only make the range loss smaller.
1) towing a trailer on the highway is primarily a drag (wind resistence) problem, my sequoia and trailer are pretty bad when it comes to wind resistence, so I would focus on a more effecient design for the trailer
2) regen from a trailer 'pushing' the Model X when slowing (not braking) might be pretty significant, effectively getting back some of the energy used to get the trailer going. This might be nothing, but it might help a bit.

When you are driving you NEVER want your trailer pushing the tow vehicle !!! VERY BAD news can happen very fast. :(