Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X + Trailer Roadtrip

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello everybody, if there is still people on this thread??
My wife and me are doing a Road-Trip of over 8,000 miles with my Tesla X 100D and the new Alto A2124 in October. I will do my "pilgrimage" to Fremont Tesla Factory ;). We will be stopping in over 50 SC along the trip and naturally visit camping every night. See the picture of the itinerary. I was thinking of using this trip to have the chance to meet some of you and at the same time you can visit the new aerodynamic Alto A2124. If you know Tesla X owner that are interested in buying a caravan, it is a good time to see this innovative caravan. If some of you want to plan a visit please write me at [email protected] , I will send you the detailed itinerary and we can organize from there.I will keep you posted along the trip with numbers.
Capture itinéraire Oct 2019 Miles .JPG
A2124 Photo Stephane N Route1 avec logo.jpg

Hello everybody, if there is still people on this thread??
My wife and me are doing a Road-Trip of over 8,000 miles with my Tesla X 100D and the new Alto A2124 in October. I will do my "pilgrimage" to Fremont Tesla Factory ;). We will be stopping in over 50 SC along the trip and naturally visit camping

Congrats on the trailer and good luck. We just finished a 7k mile trip through the Maritimes. How long are you planning to be on the road?

Bonjour Idoco, I read a bit of your blog. You took much more time with 3 months, that's a better choice. On our side we travel 21 days to Fremont. I leave my wife at the San Francisco Airport she flies back to take care of my father in law. I will drive alone in direction of Georgia where I will leave the store the caravan until January I plan to be home beginning of November. That way when we go back to Florida in January and February I wont need to drive with the snow. It is really a road trip. At the same time it is a first recognition of the Big central US National Park. We plan to stay longer.
Did you keep your good average consumption in your 7000 miles. It is one of my goal to confirm the numbers I had on the spring test. I think we are all doing an important job for the adoption of EV. People see that it is feasible even if for now the price point of our duos are a bit high for average people.
Note I like your picture of the puffin, I do birdwatching and photography too.

With only 21 days to go cross country you could either stop at lots of places for a day or two. Or you could find a couple places you really want to see and spend more time there. We prefer spending more time at one place as a base. Usually at least four days, since it means less frequent set up and tear down. We can then unhitch the MX and explore from our base.

I like your idea of leaving the trailer and coming back for it in the winter. Unfortunately traveling with our dogs makes staying in hotels a pain. One of the main reasons we travel with the trailer.

I no longer keep track of consumption as accurately as when I first bought the trailer. When I did I used TeslaFi, which I thought was a great tool for that purpose.

At this point I have a pretty good idea of consumption in different weather, speed, and elevation scenarios. For planning:
1. I use % instead of RM on the display.
2. I use 16 miles per 10% to estimate range (90D w/ ~80kWh). Easy calculation to see how much I really need to charge.
* 3. I like to arrive with no less than 15% (although I have gone into single digits)
4. If there is ample charging and less than 110 miles between chargers I will go the speed limit, up to 62mph.
**5. If I have a long stretch or bad weather I ignore the speedometer and set my speed according to the kW/mile I need to get to the next charger. I basically go whatever speed puts my usage at 500kW/mi or less.
6. I start the day with 100% and try to keep the SOC. Between charges I usually at 15% - 80% SOC. This is the faster part of the charging curve. Generally means that I'm going no more than ~105 miles between charges (roughly 2 hours).

In general long distance towing with an EV is best suited for not being in a rush. Good luck and keep posting about your travel.

* On my way back from NF I arrived at an SC with the planned 17% SOC. Just as I plugged in all of the pedestals at the SC lost power. The nearest SC was 20+ miles away in the wrong direction! I left my trailer at the SC and "gingerly" drove to the nearest SC, arriving with 7% SOC. While charging I get a call from mall security wanting to know why my trailer is parked in their lot :(

** In one case that mean I was going 75KPH on the 110KPH TCH because of headwinds and rain.

P.S. Met a lot of people from Quebec in NL. Everyone was wonderful. We were in QC in May and had a great time. Stayed at an RV park just west of QC. Thinking of going back at some point and staying at the Parc Canada outside QC.

Bonjour Idoco,

For this trip, I choose a few NP parks to stay 2 nights, the purpose was a "road trip" to Fremont .But like you we usually stay longer at one state park and use it as a base to visit other state parks or attraction. We will do that again in Florida next January February.

For the numbers like you last year with my Alto F1743, I went more intuitively for the planning using the same % instead of kilometer.

I will do more test this time with the new Alto A2124 and see on long range if the comparative numbers I got in spring are accurate. When I worked with Safari Condo last winter our goal was to be at least equal to Bowlus ;). I think we are not far from it but need to confirm. I dont know if I told you that Safari Condo hired an engineer to make virtual tunnel and thay arrived at a drag coefficient of 0.26 with the form of the Alto A 2124. Naturally it was not detailing all the elements outside the form like tires or max fan. But they did a serious job but had to consider the construction technology they are using.
Bowlus is a great machine but does not fit to all budget!
With the exchange rate the price of the Alto A2124 is very interesting for US Tesla X owners.

When you come again to Canada let me know would be a pleasure to meet with you and your wife.
Around Quebec there is a few SEPAQ Park it is the provincial parks but as you might know there was a separatist government a few decade ago that change the name into "National Parks" you can see these on www.sepaq.com. Jacques Cartier Park and Hautes-Gorges-de-la-Rivière-Malbaie are very nice and not far from Quebec city. But like all nice parks you need to plan in advance to get camping sites in hight season. For exemple the reservation season for campgrounds in 2020 are open since 18-19 of May 2019!

There is not so many real Canada National parks near Quebec city, but a very nice one is Parc National de la Mauricie: La Mauricie National Park
It is a great place for canoeing and kayaking.

Note: I saw on your blog that you met somebody with a Bowlus waht a luck.
They were not pulling with a Tesla?
Do you know how many Tesla X owners pull Bowlus? Do you have like a club I found one Facebook group with 5 members!
Which we could find a way to make a census of all Tesla owner pulling a caravan.
I don't know if you get many questions but on our side, it is part of the journey. Every time a few person ask question about the feasibility of camping with electric car.
Maybe with the arrival of Tesla and Rivian truck we will be able to convince more people.
Salutations

8,000 miles Road Trip NEWS: Bonjour to all of you, A long text and I even cut! Always on the discovery route with my electric duo: Tesla X 100D and Alto A2124. After 13 days, 10 campsites and 5030Km/3127mi on my all electric road trip, I am taking a few hours on the side of Salt Lake to write to you. Unfortunately, Salt Lake City is polluted a lot, you can see the smog over the city. They need more electric car J. When you are alone on a road trip you are pushed to talk with people. I do make great meetings in my stop at Tesla Supercharger , like my short meeting with Greta Thunsberg and her father : “ a smile and a salut that touched me” . As you will see on the pictures I wrote a few places on the Alto: “ALL ELECTRIC 8,000 MILES ROAD TRIP” A lot of interest while stopped and the route too. I got over 20 positive smiles or tumb’s-up even from 2 truckers but 2 fingers!! We can not convince everyone of the importance of EV transition, hopefully it will change.

I am really happy of the chosen itinerary you can see it on a picture. Next time I will take more time and do the small roads in Colorado. Route No6 in Colorado follows the river of the same name. Arrived in Utah I took route 128 that follows the mythic river. I am just starting the Grand National Park and it is admirable. Really nice, mineral and dry.

For driving, this itinerary in west direction is windy daily but with these front wind my duo performs as expected. No distance anxiety even in Colorado mountains over 10,000 feet. We loose climbing but the regeneration is fantastic. For example: on a one day trip of 502km/312mi I went from Este Park near Rocky Mountain NP at 7,522 feet via Boulder at 5,328 feet on I70 go thru the Eisenhower Tunnel at 11,158 feet the highest point after via Vail at 10,662 feet the trip ending in Grand Junction at 5,000 feet. For the EV owner: the average consumption was 313wh/km or 504Wh/mi with front winds of 13kph or 8mph with a temperature of 26C or 79F. It is in line with the comparative test done at the Safari Condo factory in spring. I expect better numbers without winds on flat route in southern states. I will keep you posted. ADDED INFO for this TMC Post the general text was posted on different RV owner Facebook group joining near 5,000 peoples most are not using electric cars but it is my purpose or my participation in small steps for transition. After 3126 miles my average consumption is 526wh/mi with constant head winds going West. I expect better numbers in South states
BAS RESO Duo route 70 près Grand Junction 2.jpg
BAS RESO Rocky Mountain road 12,000 pieds 2.jpg
Shelby IA Supercharger.jpg
BAS RESO Duo route 70 près Grand Junction 2.jpg
BAS RESO Rocky Mountain road 12,000 pieds 2.jpg
Shelby IA Supercharger.jpg
BAS RESO Duo en camping Bas réso.jpg
BAS RESO Colorado National Monument NP, Route lasset 2.jpg
. The highlight of my trip was short talking with Greta Thunsberg father Svante in Lansing MI on October the 2nd, they were in the white M3 of Arnold Schwarzenegger. I got a smile and a salute from Greta. No picture not to look like paparazzi.

I am really happy with this road trip choice; in a sense I participate with small steps chowing people that EV transition is possible even in camping. We are only in the beginning of transition so it is for the convinced one like me. But with the fast moving technology i twill become easier for everybody.

Thanks’ to Safari Condo for their vision of the future by developing a better aerodynamic caravan with the A2124. It is good for EV owners but good for conventional cars with lower gas consumption helping while in transition. Hopefully other RV manufacturer will follow, there is around 500,000 RV sold every year in north America, it is tons of CO2!

Merci for following, I love to read you.

Safe trip if you are on camping trip

Redmond Hayes

Great Salt Lake State Park, Sunny Sunday morning.

• Love
Reactions: JimVandegriff