Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Travel Trailer Consumption Analysis

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Trailer mode should default to standard, unless you manually over-ride. If you run low there is a ~2.5 degrees camber iirc. This will definitely cause premature wear. My first set of OEM, running low without trailer and standard with trailer, had the steel belts showing on the inner side after about 16 months of use.

Trailer mode should default to standard, unless you manually over-ride. If you run low there is a ~2.5 degrees camber iirc. This will definitely cause premature wear. My first set of OEM, running low without trailer and standard with trailer, had the steel belts showing on the inner side after about 16 months of use.
I did not manually over drive. Tomorrow I taking dircetion of Mont Tremblant with the AltoA but before going to Tesla service in Quebec to change front right suspension table. I will talk with the service people.

Your “consumption” figures lack context. As you know, energy usage varies dramatically based on speed and many other factors. You do not specify a speed or anything else. I can tell you that when towing my F1743 on a level, dry road with no headwind at 55mph that I use significantly less than the figure you show in your table.
Copied from a post in Model X towing a Safari Condo A-2124 trailer
Here are a few tech info for the caravan used most commonly by Tesla X owner. If you have different statistics to provide. You are welcome.
View attachment 440091

Your “consumption” figures lack context. As you know, energy usage varies dramatically based on speed and many other factors. You do not specify a speed or anything else. I can tell you that when towing my F1743 on a level, dry road with no headwind at 55mph that I use significantly less than the figure you show in your table.

Ecarfan you are right I did not mention the speed and I will add it. I took the standard speed used by almost all Tesla X owner. I travel at 55mph. Even in Canada, I use 89km/hr to be in par with 55mph used in USA. I am not trying to get numbers in the best situation but the average in normal use. Like you when I was in Florida last January and February I got very good consumption even below 500wh/mi with our F1743 . Anne-Marie and me will be in Florida and south for 3 months next winter with the new A2124. I am looking forward to see the average that I will get then and share it.

When I did the comparative test between F1743 and A2124, it was on the same day with the same itinerary. It is 41 miles so 82 back and forth between Lévis Supercharger and SafariCondo factory in St-Frederic. It is not a flat itinerary there is a difference of 900ft between lowest and highest point. I did the same between F1743 and F2114. That is how we established the difference of autonomy between the 3 model. Daniel Nadeau did the same test with a ICE car and he gets the equivalent differences. I used my average on 10,000 miles with the F1743 to establish a target average for the A2124. That is the number that I have put in my Excel sheet. Has I do more mileage with my duo I will be able to confirm. The best would be to travel with a friend that has a Tesla X with a Alto F1743 but we are not quite a lot to do Tesla camping. Thank you for your input.

There has been discussion about energy consumption in a number of Model X towing threads (1). The real world information from these threads provides value to those who are considering purchasing, renting, or otherwise using a travel trailer. The data are extremely sparse right now, but at least some exploratory analysis can be attempted in order to get a feel for differences between the vehicles.

We have @JimVandegriff towing a 22' Airstream Sport with an X 90D. A Safari Condo Alto R1723 is being towed with an X P90D by @fortytwo. And @jackbowers is towing a Bowlus Road Chief Lithium+ with his X P90D. I think the most valuable comparison is in flat conditions at about 55mph, as this is a reasonable towing speed and aids in controlling for the other variables.

That data, as I've collected so far from their threads and the blog (2), looks something like this.
View attachment 201218

Something looks awry here. Specifically, the numbers that I was able to glean from @fortytwo's blog posts are suspiciously high compared to their counterparts. This is especially confusing due to the aerodynamic nature of the teardrop, and the fact that it is the lowest weight vehicle in the list. If I missed something from their blog, please let me know. I used the FAQ as well as a couple of other posts, but there aren't a ton of data points in there, at least as far as I could find. I think it's possible that they were running heat, which would definitely skew the numbers out of their favor.

The Bowlus looks terribly impressive at 475Wh/mi. Of course, it's also terribly expensive, costing more than the Model X itself. So budget may constrain many out of that option.

Any other towing data for travel trailers would be a wonderful addition to this thread. I'm also interested in hearing from members with towing experience and/or aerodynamics expertise. I did get a rough number from @AnOutsider off-forum, which was that his high-wall popup, which is 3" higher than the X and 4" wider, square, and heavy, cuts range by about half. On his P90DL that would be something like 700Wh/mi, or (obviously) a 200% towing premium.

Thanks also to @ecarfan who has been having this conversation in PM with me over the last few weeks.

Notes:
  1. Test Report: Towing the Bowlus Road Chief, TeslaXCanada - One Wild Idea, Initial trailer pulling report - 90D and Airstream 22ft Bambi Sport
  2. Promoting Sustainable Energy & Transportation

548Wh/Km. Flat ground, 90km/h, 2020 MX LR+, 20" Wheels, Coachmen Apex 288BHS, 4880 UVW. 96" Wide. 10'1" Tall

That seems to come out to 882 Wh/mile at 55MPH.

Do I win an award? Bigger numbers are better, right?

Seriously, I wouldn't pull this trailer again. (Nor should I, I know, I don't need to be told)

We rented it before getting the X and we were only going a short distance (~95 miles each way), and did not make the full distance without charging along the way (I don't charge to 100%). No significant problems pulling, but energy consumption use was often off the chart.

Kev.

• Funny
Reactions: ohmman
Whoa. Just looked up the other specs: GVWR 7000 lbs, dry tongue 585 lbs. You already said you know, so I won't say it. ;)

Curious, though - did you use the stock Bosal hitch? Without weight distribution?

Standard hitch, with weight distribution, it was part of the rental. it was also a REALLY long bar, so way past the 8 inches. Probably closer to 20, if I'm honest.

Like I said, I expected to pull it with a truck, but received the X. When we hooked on, the car had less than 500 KMs on it.

Now, since I expect to pull a LOT, and I'm aware of the limitations, I have a question. If I replace the Bosal hitch with something normal, can I mount the Bosal into my S? (Cause, you know, I have a problem with rules and authority. I know about the 0 limit on pulling with the S) I don't intend to pull much with it, but a bike rack, or whatever would be nice.

And yes, I promise to rent (and eventually buy) lighter from now on.

• Informative
  • Funny
Reactions: outdoors and ohmman
548Wh/Km. Flat ground, 90km/h, 2020 MX LR+, 20" Wheels, Coachmen Apex 288BHS, 4880 UVW. 96" Wide. 10'1" Tall

That seems to come out to 882 Wh/mile at 55MPH.
Wow. That is impressive. But not in a good way. Glad you survived that towing experience.

I know that some people have mounted hitches on their Model S. I don’t know anything about the feasibility of mounting that Bosal. If all you want to do is have a bike rack then I don’t see an issue with that. Search the forums for “Model S bike rack” and I suspect you will find some information.

View attachment 331869 Does anyone have experience with, or is familiar with the Forest River R-Pod? We really love the layout of the the newer 2017/2018 179, and would love to know how it might do behind an X100D. Thanks.

I tow the r-pod 178 with a 2020 Model X (20" tires, the Long Range one). Highway speed (55-67mph) consumption of about 750 Kwh/mi so far (have only taken on one camping trip). Will measure it more accurately later. No WDH. Fairly easy to tow.

You're probably right. My brain focused in on that "K" and the high number and I interpreted it incorrectly.

750Wh/mi is.. quite high, especially if this is a Raven drivetrain.
He stated he was going “Highway speed (55-67mph)”, and if in fact his speed during that consumption test was consistently at the high end of that range it seems possible that could use 750Wh/mi towing that R-pod.

When towing my smaller and lighter Alto trailer at 60mph I can use over 600Wh/mi on a level dry road. I have never towed at 65mph so can’t provide data for that speed. :eek:

• Informative
Reactions: JimVandegriff
1EF5A7C3-6F32-47D2-8347-3B686E218930.jpeg
I’m not sure if this is the right place to ask, but maybe you guys have an idea what to you expect from the consumption standpoint.
This trailer is going to be roughly between 4000 and 5000 pounds when loaded. What range is expected towing this thing?
19 long, 8 wide and 7 tall

This trailer is going to be roughly between 4000 and 5000 pounds when loaded. What range is expected towing this thing?
19 long, 8 wide and 7 tall
I expect you will use over 650Wh/mi at 55mph on a level dry road with no headwind. So your range will be less than half of what you are used to getting at 65mph when not towing.

I really hope it’s the case. I’m afraid it might be in high 700s, if not 800S. It should be twice as much energy at least if you tow another model X behind you. However, this brick is close to 10 feet tall altogether, may give me a hard time.
It is going to be flat Road for the most part, not sure about wind or rain. Rain will kill it

I’ll share the numbers in about a month or so when I make the trip, if you guys interested.
Hopefully I’ll survive the journey

Last edited:
I tow the r-pod 178 with a 2020 Model X (20" tires, the Long Range one). Highway speed (55-67mph) consumption of about 750 Kwh/mi so far (have only taken on one camping trip). Will measure it more accurately later. No WDH. Fairly easy to tow.

Sorry for dragging slightly off topic, but are you happy with the R-pod? I'm looking at the model 193 ... Have a bunch of hoops to jump through before we commit to buying anything, but the 193 looks like a great fit for our family - just 3 of us (plus Buster the bulldog!)

Sorry to revive an ancient thread, but wanted to post that I'm getting around 480-520 Wh/mi with a 2022 Model X LR and a 2022 Bowlus Terra Firma, depending on conditions. I can post more if people are interested.
I’m interested. :) Can you be more details about the conditions? Speed, temp, elevation changes.

Your numbers are basically the same as what I get at 55mph on a level, dry road with no headwind. Towing a Safari Condo Alto F1743, about 2200 lbs loaded. Increasing my speed to 60mph increases my energy consumption to about 600Wh/mi.

Your trailer is definitely more aerodynamic than mine.