Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X tread separation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
E61DC248-94AE-43FF-9649-B9220793436C.jpeg B32B2406-AE7E-49E0-B615-B3E841309503.jpeg C1B6281B-E459-44C9-91C8-2F3936636A7B.jpeg
I was on the 5 south in San Diego county going 70 mph and my passenger side front tire tread separated. It destroyed the front end of the car. The tow truck driver said he’d never seen damage like this from a tire. The good news is I’m fine and it didn’t cause any other accidents or injuries. So grateful for that. Lessons here: keep an eye on your tires! Holy smokes.

Attachments

• 0CADE86D-621F-4488-B73C-792745DFEA28.jpeg
    0CADE86D-621F-4488-B73C-792745DFEA28.jpeg
    402.1 KB · Views: 124
  • Helpful
Reactions: Silicon Desert
hmmm out of curiosity, how many miles on those tires? Interesting that the rim looks cracked as if something really hard was hit in the road. Hard for me to imagine that tread separation would cause that, but I guess anything can happen. Glad to hear no accident.

View attachment 621310 View attachment 621309 View attachment 621308
I was on the 5 south in San Diego county going 70 mph and my passenger side front tire tread separated. It destroyed the front end of the car. The tow truck driver said he’d never seen damage like this from a tire. The good news is I’m fine and it didn’t cause any other accidents or injuries. So grateful for that. Lessons here: keep an eye on your tires! Holy smokes.

I googled that tire and look what came up !!

Continental Recalls Over 14k Tires for Contamination Defect | BCCN

hmmm out of curiosity, how many miles on those tires? Interesting that the rim looks cracked as if something really hard was hit in the road. Hard for me to imagine that tread separation would cause that, but I guess anything can happen. Glad to hear no accident.
Can you point out exactly where you see a crack? Because I don’t see it. I see a scratch on the rim but can’t find the crack

Did you not understand what the thread is about? It’s not bald, the tread peeled off.
If the tire wears down too far the tread (actually the bands under tread) will separate. I remember seeing this several times on cars in my family's shop. Usually on wider lower profile (<60 series) tires.

It would be interesting to see if the inside of the tire was worn out, which X's run on low and very low tend to do.

• Informative
Reactions: AMPd
I think he is mistaking the hold down strap for a broken wheel.
Nice guess, but no that is not what I am referring to. Pretty obvious that is a tie-down strap. Maybe "crack" wasn't the proper word to use. I was looking at a closeup of one of the near center supports around the 7 o'clock position. That's why I asked. Not sure if it is a structural issue or not.