Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Trunk Foot Sensor from Hansshow

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone installed this? Far less complex & cheaper than the version from Tesla Offer
What option does Tesla offer? I cannot find any listing for this?

EDIT: I was not aware that there was actually a company called Tesla Offer. Thought it was a statement.

Model S/X Hand Free Smart Trunk Open – Tesla Offer

BTW is the $80 component all you need for this or do you also need to install the Frunk option too? A bit confusing.

I’m just trying to figure out where to connect the 12v positive wire for power
Looks like they tell you where in these instructions:

Tesla MODEL X Kick Sensor Installation Guide | Hansshow

Last edited:
What option does Tesla offer? I cannot find any listing for this?

EDIT: I was not aware that there was actually a company called Tesla Offer. Thought it was a statement.

Model S/X Hand Free Smart Trunk Open – Tesla Offer

BTW is the $80 component all you need for this or do you also need to install the Frunk option too? A bit confusing.

Looks like they tell you where in these instructions:

Tesla MODEL X Kick Sensor Installation Guide | Hansshow

No, the front option is $499. This is just for the foot sensor attachment.

I am in contact with Tesla Offer to try to setup a group buy. It looks like it’s only a 10kit minimum, but waiting to hear back from them on details of the discount.

The $80 Hansshow one looks promising because of price but also installation seems much easier.

However I cannot find a user manual that explains if it only works when the car is unlocked and in Park as it should be.

Power Front Trunk for Model X | Intelligentized Auto Parts | Hansshow

If it taps into the signal cable then it should work that way.

@Nuclear Fusion it will interesting to see your report once you have this all working.

So I found this great installation video online that explains everything with the exception of where to get the 12v constant power.

Link:

The maker of the video gave up trying to locate the 12v constant power and decided to run a long wire from the rear of his MX to the OBDII connection up under the driver's foot well.

From the looks of this video, the Hansshow part appears way easier to install than the Tesla Offer version since you don't need to remove any of the liftgate trim or mess with the physical trunk button. Just need help locating the 12v constant power.....

One YouTube viewer commented that the 12v constant power source can be located below that long rectangular box seen at 8:01 in the above YouTube video (also screenshot attached).

Has anyone attempted this installation yet that can shed some light if the 12v power is located below this black piece?

20201107_191516.jpg

13.png

Hey Triumphz28!

Thanks for posting my video. Yes, you’re right, the installation was very easy. I hope that my video accurately reflected this. The truth is that I felt around the black box to find the connector, and could not. I’ve had a situation with another module, where the instructions were referencing a Raven MX variant, so the instructions didn’t perfectly map to my vehicle. I didn’t know whether this would be the same, and was hesitant to feel around the black box, due to the proximity of it to the adjacent high voltage charging components.

in the end, I opted for the ODBII option, so at any point I could disconnect the module from the vehicle’s power system, instead of having to take out all the panels again.

I hope that helps! :)

Cheers!
David
www.youtube.com/LivingTech

Hey Triumphz28!

Thanks for posting my video. Yes, you’re right, the installation was very easy. I hope that my video accurately reflected this. The truth is that I felt around the black box to find the connector, and could not. I’ve had a situation with another module, where the instructions were referencing a Raven MX variant, so the instructions didn’t perfectly map to my vehicle. I didn’t know whether this would be the same, and was hesitant to feel around the black box, due to the proximity of it to the adjacent high voltage charging components.

in the end, I opted for the ODBII option, so at any point I could disconnect the module from the vehicle’s power system, instead of having to take out all the panels again.

I hope that helps! :)

Cheers!
David
www.youtube.com/LivingTech
Thanks for your video. I couldn't find the missing harness in the Hansshow installation manual either, so I used your method.
Lucky, because when I contacted Hansshow support they were no help and after getting bounced around to several dept, they told me to follow your video.

Just wanted to post an update for anybody who is trying to install this. I also had a hard time finding the 12v plug, but eventually I figured out that they failed to instruct you to remove the plug from the port it's plugged into. I was looking for a plug that was just hanging freely, but that's not the case. Mine was plugged in along with several others, to the black box behind the trunk panel. I have edited the image from above to show the box I'm talking about outlined in blue.
Inked20201107_191516_LI.jpg
If you remove the panel you will barely be able to see the bottom of the box with the plugs in it from below if you stick your head in there and look up from below. The first plug with wires you see sticking out is not the one you want. It looks like this:
20210911_161135.jpg

You'll notice it does not have the brown wire in their instructions and has different colored wires. Tapping into it like this doesn't work. Ask me how I know.

You have to remove the next plug up from that, towards the front of the car. In my illustration above, it's the second white plug with the red wire I drew. Sorry I didn't take a better picture, but maybe the shot below will help you get your bearings. You'll see the large orange cable going toward the front of the car, and you're looking for the plugs above that.
20210911_161058.jpg

it will look like this, with the brown wire featured in their instructions, although mine didn't look exactly like theirs.
received_373547871081853.jpeg

Once I figured out which plug, the instructions didn't make it clear how to magically get power. The 12v wire they provide is not a twisted strand, it's a stiff solid wire, which you can jam into the same hole as the red power wire in their instructions, so both wires are seated into the same hole. I made sure to push it as far as I could so it was solidly seated and only the black shrink insulation was exposed, no wire. I plugged it back in, and voila. Hope this helps somebody who was as frustrated as I was.