Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Trunk good for dogs?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey,

Anyone that was at the event yesterday and was looking at the Model X from a dog owners perspective, id appreciate any feedback! I have a big Saint Bernard and a Labrador so this car being Dog friendly is my number one priority...

Hey,

Anyone that was at the event yesterday and was looking at the Model X from a dog owners perspective, id appreciate any feedback! I have a big Saint Bernard and a Labrador so this car being Dog friendly is my number one priority...

I know this is important to @bonnie, so hopefully she'll weigh in with her thoughts.

If you plan to have your dogs ride in the back, by folding down the third row seats, it should work quite well. There is a very deep trunk area in back of the third row, but the X comes with a "board" to cover this deep well, which you simply lift up and then fold down to cover this well. This then combines with the folded flat third row to provide a large flat area for the dogs. Even two large dogs whole be able to lie comfortably there. They would be fairly walled off from the passengers by the wall created by the second row seats.

There is a small space between the second row and the folded down third row where a dog paw could get stuck (I remember around 3 inches), but this could easily be blocked off for their safety. The other problem that I foresee is the glossy plastics backs of the second row seats. I know that ours will be quickly scratched up by our dogs -- I really wish that they had made the seat backs either matte or metal finish.

Of course, if your dogs are as spoiled as ours, they will really enjoy sitting in the second row with their own heated, ventilated seats :)

Ron
SigX #1015

If you plan to have your dogs ride in the back, by folding down the third row seats, it should work quite well. There is a very deep trunk area in back of the third row, but the X comes with a "board" to cover this deep well, which you simply lift up and then fold down to cover this well. This then combines with the folded flat third row to provide a large flat area for the dogs. Even two large dogs whole be able to lie comfortably there. They would be fairly walled off from the passengers by the wall created by the second row seats.

There is a small space between the second row and the folded down third row where a dog paw could get stuck (I remember around 3 inches), but this could easily be blocked off for their safety. The other problem that I foresee is the glossy plastics backs of the second row seats. I know that ours will be quickly scratched up by our dogs -- I really wish that they had made the seat backs either matte or metal finish.

Of course, if your dogs are as spoiled as ours, they will really enjoy sitting in the second row with their own heated, ventilated seats :)

Ron
SigX #1015

Hey Ron,

Thanks for the information! One question whats it look like for the jobs to jump in the back? Is there a high "curb" so to speak or should a dog be able to gentle jump in? My dogs don't get that treatment they sit in the back usually in a Dog Box due to safety.

Thanks again!

Alex

- - - Updated - - -

Cant do edits. meant to say dogs not jobs.

I'm planning on putting a seat cover over the third row and putting them there. I'll be able to move the second row seats back a good bit because they don't need leg room. The area behind the third row will be for suitcases and such. We used to travel like this with the dogs in the back seat of our Accord, but once our baby came there is no longer room for the dogs. This is one of the main reasons we want Model X.