Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X - Trunk Rattle Solved

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2016 P90DL.

I recently had a new rattle come up that was driving me nuts. It sounded like a piece of plastic vibrating at a high pitch, anything over 60mph would make it consistent, and loud.

In my trunk, I found a piece of plastic (not sure what it is for), but taped it over this morning. Noise is gone.
I'll probably replace the masking tape with felt, or vinyl for aesthetics.

9Q0IdZ5.jpg

Hope this helps someone else!

Thanks. I always wondered what that was.

I think mine rattles also, at least that location seems correct. Seem more like a pebble rolling around. But only when the car is cold. Since the lows are in the 60s and highs near 100 there is no rattling now. But if the silicon works for you I will do it proactively.

I have a 2016 P90DL.

I recently had a new rattle come up that was driving me nuts. It sounded like a piece of plastic vibrating at a high pitch, anything over 60mph would make it consistent, and loud.

In my trunk, I found a piece of plastic (not sure what it is for), but taped it over this morning. Noise is gone.

Shiftelectrics, you are totally my hero! This rattle had been driving me crazy, particularly on long road trips. I even took a service technician out for a drive last week so he could hear it. Hear it he did, but I later got a text message from my service advisor saying that they couldn't find the source and it'd be $175 if I wanted them to pursue it further. Thus, I was extremely pleased to find your post & give your solution a try. It worked! Thanks for sharing!

Reactions: shiftelectrics
Shiftelectrics, you are totally my hero! This rattle had been driving me crazy, particularly on long road trips. I even took a service technician out for a drive last week so he could hear it. Hear it he did, but I later got a text message from my service advisor saying that they couldn't find the source and it'd be $175 if I wanted them to pursue it further. Thus, I was extremely pleased to find your post & give your solution a try. It worked! Thanks for sharing!

Glad you got it sorted out! What year is your X?

I recommend looking into the panel where the trunk close button is. I had rattles similar to others and finally found that the clips holding that panel were broken.
So I pulled this panel expecting to see broken clips too. I even stocked up on some ahead of time although the major ones in the middle I did not know about and don't have a supply of. None the less I did not find any broken clips. But I did find four other potential issues:
  1. Make sure your emergency release is secure on the velcro. You can access this with little plastic door and don't need to remove the panel to access it.
  2. On each side is a clip for a wiring harness connector. Both of these are loose on my car which can rattle. They are the "christmas tree" variety and most of the branches are broken or not well formed hence they don't hold tight to the car. I used some construction adhesive and glued mine to the panel.
  3. The wire on the left clip could rattle against the body so I secured it to the large tube with a wire tie
  4. There is a wiring harness that rests against the door panel. It's been covered in a softer foam but I still think it can rattle. I padded mine more.
I am going to leave my panel off for a few weeks to ensure this fixes my rattles as it's a real PITA to remove. I still have a few others in the car to hunt down and I think an air strut that is bad too that is kind of overwhelming the other rattles.
20190629_131616[1].jpg 20190629_131632[1].jpg 20190629_131640[1].jpg

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: VikH and X-pilot
@shiftelectrics. You sir are my F'n HERO.

That little tiny clip that you can just pull out in 2 seconds, without tearing down the back of the car was it.

Never did I think that HUGE noise in my ear was that tiny thing, but I popped it out after your post.

Wind gets through the back above 60 and bumps on the road would cause that tiny clip to rattle just enough to make me homicidal. If anyone knows the engineer that made this clip, please lock him or her in a car with 10,000 rattles and no radio.

I removed the clip entirely, its just cosmetic, you don't see it when the lift gate is closed, the hole is a smooth rounded black hole, who cares. It's a waste of a clip, and seriously made me consider lighting the damn car on fire.

!!!!thank you again!!!!

FWIW the clip is... best guess - designed for a thicker metal than the metal of the tailgate. so it's loose.
it appears to visually close a hole that 99% of people would either never see or care.
Until it rattles.

93895398_769408003465670_316533304394252288_n.jpg 94030462_226220895363422_8421782997409202176_n.jpg

Reactions: AvengerBB
I have a 2016 P90DL.

9Q0IdZ5.jpg

I had the same issue, been looking for the rattle solution for long time....SC couldn't even do anything with it. Kudo!!!