Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Trunk won't latch- Any ideas what it could be?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Model X
P100d

So there I was, at my daughter's hs track meet, which is over 100 miles from home. I get an alert that the trunk is open on the Tesla shortly after we arrived at the meet. I thought "that's cool", I will just close it on the app. I didn't recall there being any issues when we opened and closed it to get some things out of the back.

However, long story short I ended up trying to fix it in the parking lot during the rain and didn't have any luck. The trunk would get all the way to the bottom as though it was ready to latch, but just beeps twice and doesn't latch. You can tell the actuator for the latch isn't even firing. All I had was a basic swiss army knife, so my tool options were limited. I was able to pull off the panel to the trunk and inspect things over. I wasn't able to find anything broken or indicated as a culprit. I looked over the latch system and it seemed to manually function properly. I also looked over the actuator for the latch. The cables were all movable, but it was as though the trunk couldn't sense when it was ready for the actuator to take off.
Can anyone tell me if there is another sensor on the hatch (and where it's located) to tell when the latch is ready to be actuated? I was guessing maybe there is something in the latch itself? It has the wiring loom going to it, so I was guessing that it is for the sensor somewhere in there? I also tested the two hatch pinch sensors on the sides of the hatch to keep from finger pinches. They both appeared to work correctly. I also tried adjusting the four bumpers to see if they were out of wack.

Any advice is appreciated!!

Model X
P100d

So there I was, at my daughter's hs track meet, which is over 100 miles from home. I get an alert that the trunk is open on the Tesla shortly after we arrived at the meet. I thought "that's cool", I will just close it on the app. I didn't recall there being any issues when we opened and closed it to get some things out of the back.

However, long story short I ended up trying to fix it in the parking lot during the rain and didn't have any luck. The trunk would get all the way to the bottom as though it was ready to latch, but just beeps twice and doesn't latch. You can tell the actuator for the latch isn't even firing. All I had was a basic swiss army knife, so my tool options were limited. I was able to pull off the panel to the trunk and inspect things over. I wasn't able to find anything broken or indicated as a culprit. I looked over the latch system and it seemed to manually function properly. I also looked over the actuator for the latch. The cables were all movable, but it was as though the trunk couldn't sense when it was ready for the actuator to take off.
Can anyone tell me if there is another sensor on the hatch (and where it's located) to tell when the latch is ready to be actuated? I was guessing maybe there is something in the latch itself? It has the wiring loom going to it, so I was guessing that it is for the sensor somewhere in there? I also tested the two hatch pinch sensors on the sides of the hatch to keep from finger pinches. They both appeared to work correctly. I also tried adjusting the four bumpers to see if they were out of wack.

I have exactly the same problem on my 21 Model Y. Have you found a resolution yet? We have a service scheduled for this Tuesday. I’ll let you know what I learn.

Upvote 0
Model X
P100d

Service Tech fixed my latch today. Somehow the latch mechanism got out of sequence. The tech took it apart, reassembled it, and I could see the mechanism was in a different position from before. Hope your’s is fixed as well.

Upvote 0
Hi,
I had the same situation, but this occurred during Safelite replacing the lift-gate window (which is another story).

The issue is that the Lift-Gate Latch has a motor with in to automatically release the latch mechanism. The automatic release is a cam that moves a lever to release the latch. In my case the cam was in the wrong position. To fix, I applied a 9-volt battery to (if I recall correctly) to pin 1 and 2, this moved the cam slightly to allow for the latch to engage. See
around 4:49 or so. This video really helped me understand how the mechanism works.

Some symptoms to know if your issue is the same:
  • The emergency release cable does not have any tension. There should be at least 1/2 inch of auto retract when pulled.
  • Auto door close pushes the door down, but the cinching mechanism does not engage to "soft close" the lift-gate.
  • Manually pushing the lift-gate down does not engage either the "soft close" nor the lock the latch mechanism
  • Using a rod to close the latch, the latch never lock.
FYI some information you probably know, but I'll add anyways
Tesla Part No. (this is the part that I applied the 9v battery to.
ASY LIFTGATE LATCH PWR REL(6006654-00-B) - which is also Mercedes Part No 212-740-03-35

I cussed out Tesla for being such novice car builders, when in fact the issue is a Mercedes part :D.

Anyways, I still love my Model X, it's got issues, but overall, such a great car.

• Informative
Reactions: towndrunk
Upvote 0
Wonderful explanation and video.

Putting 12V between pin1+2 (in built-in position at the right side of the socket) drove the motor a bit and unblocked the latch.

Thank you very much @dsf925!
Found this post, had this same problem when my 12v battery died, the lock got stuck in this odd state and i couldnt latch the hatch back. I used a 9v battery and that was enough to get it into the correct position.

Upvote 0