Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X UK deliveries in 2016

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
T28Yau don't panic. I ordered my X at beggining of August and have the same information in my tesla. It's incorrect!!! I like you and many others wanted answers re delivery and was not happy with the ever changing date provided by the DS. I contacted Tesla Chiswick and spoke to the manager who arranged for the head of uk deliveries to call me today. He called as promised and after airing my grievances he assured me that my car and many others will be made at the end of the month. He also assured me we would get them before the VED changes. The next change to my tesla will be to confirm car has started production so keep an eye on mytesla in the weeks to come. So if you missed the first batch then your most likely in this next run.

This must be so frustrating for you, and I really do hope Tesla can fulfil their promise. It takes between 8-10 weeks once the car is made to get to you (extract from email received from my DS). The build (for an S anyway) only takes a few days, but I don't see how they can speed the delivery process up. Loading onto the train in Fremont, across the States to Houston, onto the ship, across the pond to Tilburg, reassembly and across to the UK. None of that can go any faster, so unless the car is actually going to be built within the next couple of weeks I don't see how he can say you will definitely have it before the end of March.

I know they were trying to work on registering cars before it gets to the UK, the last I heard on that was it might be possible if the car had arrived at Tilburg but not if it was still in transit from Houston and not on dry land. Did he elaborate as to just how he was going to make sure you have it in time?

If he said you'd definitely get the car in time I'd be pushing for an email confirming that if they miss the deadline you'll receive a discount/refund/whatever equivalent to the VED charge.

DJP31 the information your giving is mostly correct and one of the reasons I pressed hard to speak to the person responsible for the UK.
In my long conversation it was clearly indicated that it was all in hand and they had the ability to register the cars even if they are at sea. Its clear Tesla have made arrangements and thus he wasn't concerned about this issue. Its clear that a big production push will be at the end of January for right hand drive cars and perhaps the volume will lead to an well organised shift of the cars. We are being told to expect the cars at the end of march which is late for many of us but will avoid the VED changes. I have been pretty upset about this process and the lack of information but I was impressed by his honesty and I do trust the information given he certainly eased my worries which were spoiling my experience. As I said in the previous post the next milestone for all of us waiting is to hear the cars are in production at the end of the month then we can start making plans. As I said keep an eye on MYTESLA and expect a change near the end of the month. Just cant wait :) super excited once more :)

DJP31 the information your giving is mostly correct and one of the reasons I pressed hard to speak to the person responsible for the UK.
In my long conversation it was clearly indicated that it was all in hand and they had the ability to register the cars even if they are at sea. Its clear Tesla have made arrangements and thus he wasn't concerned about this issue. Its clear that a big production push will be at the end of January for right hand drive cars and perhaps the volume will lead to an well organised shift of the cars. We are being told to expect the cars at the end of march which is late for many of us but will avoid the VED changes. I have been pretty upset about this process and the lack of information but I was impressed by his honesty and I do trust the information given he certainly eased my worries which were spoiling my experience. As I said in the previous post the next milestone for all of us waiting is to hear the cars are in production at the end of the month then we can start making plans. As I said keep an eye on MYTESLA and expect a change near the end of the month. Just cant wait :) super excited once more :)

That's brilliant news if they can register them at sea :) takes the pressure off the delivery although of course you'll want the car as soon as possible. Ideally you don't want a rushed handover either, so if it drifts a couple of days into April that wouldn't actually be the end of the world. Tesla will obviously be very keen to try and get as many a single they can into Q1 though.

I'm not waiting for an X, my S is currently in transit from Fremont to Houston so I'm pretty sure I'll be ready for a 1st March ish collection.

Can't wait to hear when you go into production:):)

At last!
My Tesla has just updated with a delivery estimate,
  • Model: Model X 60D
  • Vin: 5YJXDCE2XHF*325*0
  • Estimated Delivery Range: Late February - March
I placed my order the end of August.

When I originally ordered Tesla estimated delivery in February and I asked for a March 1st delivery, so to be fair to them they are on track........

At last!
My Tesla has just updated with a delivery estimate,
  • Vin: 5YJXDCE2XHF*325*0
  • Estimated Delivery Range: Late February - March
I placed my order the end of August.

When I originally ordered Tesla estimated delivery in February and I asked for a March 1st delivery, so to be fair to them they are on track........

Great news! :). Shouldn't be too long before My Tesla updates to " in transit from factory in Fremont to port in US".

Reactions: Tanflado
No consolation, and may not even be of any relevance, but when Denmark changed its rules as to Tax on Tesla (can't remember the details, something about removing a large subsidy for EVs if they were over $x) Tesla made a massive push to ensure that all orders were fulfilled before the cuttoff. UK market for this particular tax change may be smaller, but hopefully Tesla wants to take advantage of it (and expects a sales Bump before, and a Drop after)

That's great news Tanflando they havnt corrected my one yet ordered at end of july which is showing
  • Vin: 5YJXDCE23HF*281*5
  • Estimated Delivery Range: May - Early June

however I do know this is incorrect but somehow I am not expecting them to correct this, I am expecting the next change to say we have gone into production at the end of the month when the next right hand drive run is done.

WannabeOwner from my conversation with Tesla I think the main push is to get the cars backordered in 2016 to customers. Remember only a handful of owners have received their X'S and Tesla UK have known about the VED changes for over 9mths and been giving assurances that we will get our cars before the changes. Its different to a person ordering in 2017 who will know it’s unlikely that they will obtain the car before the change. It all comes down to how much of the backlog Tesla clear this month in my opinion. If the UK stores receive a load of inventory, then that would be a way of getting around it but considering the large backorder I can’t see this being a priority for 3 to 4 months

Reactions: WannabeOwner
:)

FWIW the other factor in my mine (and previously discussed here) was that to boost Q4 sales any punter near to the factory was an easier-delivery, so shipping all those, and then none to them at start of Q1 - i.e. favouring more remote sales - would seem likely. But its definitely a case of "who knows?" and Tesla should wise-up on that front, and improve their Comms, because their market is moving from 100% willing-beta-tester-FanBoys to folk who have chosen Tesla for N-number of very good reasons but just want a car delivered at the specified time and with no subsequent hassles.

:)

FWIW the other factor in my mine (and previously discussed here) was that to boost Q4 sales any punter near to the factory was an easier-delivery, so shipping all those, and then none to them at start of Q1 - i.e. favouring more remote sales - would seem likely. But its definitely a case of "who knows?" and Tesla should wise-up on that front, and improve their Comms, because their market is moving from 100% willing-beta-tester-FanBoys to folk who have chosen Tesla for N-number of very good reasons but just want a car delivered at the specified time and with no subsequent hassles.

@WannabeOwner - Bang on the money. Apart from sorting this issue out, the next is the whole handover/PDI which can be awful compared to other "luxury" manufacturers (not that they are always perfect). To drive the car away and subsequently find faults that should be found and rectified won't be tolerated by the mass market - which is what Tesla is aiming for and needs long term with the Model 3.

Tesla make a rod for their own back with so many deliveries timed to meet the quarter end, and I for one would refuse to take delivery in rushed and ill-prepared circumstances.

I'm not seeing enough scaling up of service centres for the sigificant increase in vehicle numbers that M3 will bring. I'm sure its on Tesla's mind :) but its not trivial to achieve ... ditto the Supercharger Ramping-up, but I suppose that can be done more quickly, and money might have been needed for the M3 production line in the short term.

Yes I agree that the supercharger & service centre's will be the next issue. Tesla failed to meet anything like its targets this year for superchargers in the UK. From what I am reading many of the chargers are becoming bogged down especially with 2 charger sites.
I think its essential that we be able to see in real time how many chargers are free and also what state of charge so we can better plan journeys, or change routes if its clear a site is full. If you have to wait for an hour before charging and then charge for an hour that's a long wait. I am not sure if tesla have announced targets for new service centre's for the uk this year?

Good point can say a new Tesla SuperCharger app be created to have live feedback from all SC sites, would be a handy feature, or is this being done on other apps?
If they can charge the fees for overstaying then the extra needed to open this out to all users could be a real benefit for future use.

I think its essential that we be able to see in real time how many chargers are free

Bizarre (TMWOT) that this does not already exist. Tesla surely know exactly who is charging where, of those who has a next-destination in their SatNav and thus how likely they are to stay (and for the rest the MAX time that they will be there to get to their currently set Charge Limit), and probably also cars that are currently driving and have a Supercharger in their SatNav as their next destination and their ETA, so some prediction of future busy-ness

Last time I was in a Tesla Showroom [several months ago] there was a Big Display Screen showing Supercharger busy-ness status for some sites (albeit in USA-CA I think)

I doubt you will have to wait an hour. If there are 4 stalls, all full, and the average charge time is 40 minutes then average wait time will be 10 minutes - if only one person waiting. But I read of long wait times in USA at bottleneck chargers on the main public holidays. There has been chatter about temporary stalls for holiday traffic at pinch-points, which strikes me as a good idea; can also be deployed as "Backup" if a charger site goes down.

So far I've never had to wait, been the only car a reasonable proportion of the time, and I've seen someone arrive when all stalls were full [a 2-stall site] on only one occasion - and he waited only 5 minutes (and said it was the first time it had happened to him). But of course if you stick another 10,000 cars on the road there will be more demand ...

I'm still hopefully that the reason for slow rollout in 2016 was "not enough immediate need" coupled with "need funds for M3 production line" and, if that's the case, that 2017 will be a very different thing. But this is Tesla we are talking about ... so your crystal ball is just as good as mine :rolleyes:

I am not sure if tesla have announced targets for new service centre's for the uk this year?

My understanding is that the plan is to make bigger Service Centres, in preference to more (no doubt "some more" but doubtful that would be "every city" and thus unlikely to be "nearby" for many). If the cars never need servicing that's fine! (or when they are not so broken that they can't drive themselves there, or get hauled by a robot onto a self-driving recovery vehicle ... oops! ... I think I'm getting a bit ahead of myself there!!)

First ordered and deposit paid October 2014, (yes 2014) finally allowed to configure and confirm order in June 2016, up spec from p90d to p100d in November. Vin number in December, order status changed from in production to in delivery transit 2 weeks ago. Suggested delivery end of Jan beginning of Feb.
I'm not holding my breath but rubber floor mats ordered and insurance set up ready.
Just realised my reply on this was not posted to yours but was a new post below. Hope it helps

Bizarre (TMWOT) that this does not already exist. Tesla surely know exactly who is charging where, of those who has a next-destination in their SatNav and thus how likely they are to stay (and for the rest the MAX time that they will be there to get to their currently set Charge Limit), and probably also cars that are currently driving and have a Supercharger in their SatNav as their next destination and their ETA, so some prediction of future busy-ness

Last time I was in a Tesla Showroom [several months ago] there was a Big Display Screen showing Supercharger busy-ness status for some sites (albeit in USA-CA I think)

I doubt you will have to wait an hour. If there are 4 stalls, all full, and the average charge time is 40 minutes then average wait time will be 10 minutes - if only one person waiting. But I read of long wait times in USA at bottleneck chargers on the main public holidays. There has been chatter about temporary stalls for holiday traffic at pinch-points, which strikes me as a good idea; can also be deployed as "Backup" if a charger site goes down.

So far I've never had to wait, been the only car a reasonable proportion of the time, and I've seen someone arrive when all stalls were full [a 2-stall site] on only one occasion - and he waited only 5 minutes (and said it was the first time it had happened to him). But of course if you stick another 10,000 cars on the road there will be more demand ...

I'm still hopefully that the reason for slow rollout in 2016 was "not enough immediate need" coupled with "need funds for M3 production line" and, if that's the case, that 2017 will be a very different thing. But this is Tesla we are talking about ... so your crystal ball is just as good as mine :rolleyes:

My understanding is that the plan is to make bigger Service Centres, in preference to more (no doubt "some more" but doubtful that would be "every city" and thus unlikely to be "nearby" for many). If the cars never need servicing that's fine! (or when they are not so broken that they can't drive themselves there, or get hauled by a robot onto a self-driving recovery vehicle ... oops! ... I think I'm getting a bit ahead of myself there!!)

Alto remember when they deploy temporary charging stools they are fed from the same supply. In USA it's not just the number of stools but the supply current that's available and feeds the site. If the site is fed with a 200a 3 phase supply with 6 stools its 32a available per phase but with 8 stools there is only 25a so if all are full it slows down the charge time. If you add 2 more temporary stools to 10 your down to 20a so even slower if all are being used.