Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Ultra High Fidelity Sound upgrade for 2500.00

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone
i just place the order MODEL X with ULTRA HIGH FIDELITY SOUND.
is it really worth it ? how is sound compare to factory installed speakers without upgrade ?
dose any has this upgrade and what you think about it ?

Ask yourself how much do you value quality when it comes to music. My fam and I listen to music about at every chance we get, Sirius XM, Pandora, Slacker, Spotify. We even listen to a white noise maker at night when sleeping so yes I have UHFS in my MX. Worth it to hear Skrillex blasting thru-out the car while driving on the interstate.

Reactions: Kam262951
Ask yourself how much do you value quality when it comes to music. My fam and I listen to music about at every chance we get, Sirius XM, Pandora, Slacker, Spotify. We even listen to a white noise maker at night when sleeping so yes I have UHFS in my MX. Worth it to hear Skrillex blasting thru-out the car while driving on the interstate.
Does your night-time white noise maker have UHFS too? ;)

I am disappointed with the UFHS in my X. For some context, I am a critical listener and listen to uncompressed sources. The biggest flaws (to my ears -- YMMV) are poor bass response from the subwoofer (you hear it, but don't feel it), tweeters that are poorly located (they should have a direct line of sight to your ears), and overall response that is tinny and flat.

You should have Tesla service look at that; perhaps your sub-woofer is not working. When it works correctly the bass is full and rich, better than most home systems I've owned.

You should have Tesla service look at that; perhaps your sub-woofer is not working. When it works correctly the bass is full and rich, better than most home systems I've owned.

@jackbowers -- good idea, I'll have Tesla look at it when I am in for servicing next time. Compared to my '08 R350, which had an upgraded Harman Hardon system with a Bose sub under the cargo shelf, I find the bass in my X to be excessively tight and punchy. Although this is generally considered a good quality, I just don't think it hits the lower octaves as well as my R.

They should, but something is obstructing the dispersion. No idea how the drivers are actually positioned behind the grille.

Screenshot_20161025-025920.png This is the 30mm fabric dome tweeter from the factory standard audio system. I didn't measure the angle they're seated at in relation to the pillar panel but you can get an excellent idea of what it's like. It is set deeper in the panel and so the dispersion will be narrow.

IMG_20161025_022722.jpg This is aftermarket in the stock location. You can see my atrocious notching work to drop and click in the new MB Quart tweeter (from the PVI 216 set). I had the chance to drive a loaner Model X with the high fidelity sound system recently and I can tell you the upper-mid range and beyond on my standard audio with just a tweeter upgrade sounds light years better than the high fidelity system in the same range. I hope this helps.

Below: Left is stock 30mm tweeter from the standard audio system, Right is MB Quart tweeter from PVI 216
IMG_20161029_125644.jpg

EDIT: as you can see from the back side of the panel, the grill cover is only held by trim panel retainer clips. You can remove that grill without removing the pillar panel.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: jgrgnt and aesculus