Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Update Email 11/18/2014

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here's the image, for those who didn't get the email:

141117_modelx_november_update_hero.jpg

I sure wish they would show us the cars BEFORE they crash them! Having said that, it looks like they are progressing well. I still have faith!

Unlikely. If you recall on the Model S Beta the FIRST thing they talked about was the safety of the car and showed clips of their own crash testing. They will very likely send the first few off to be crash tested immediately so if there is any glaring issues they can reinforce the car as needed. When they talked about the S safety they said they crashed the S to make sure it was solid, and then looked for other potential flaws to make those areas even better (like the rear bumper... which I don't think is ever crash tested "normally").

Assuming that everything checks out as intended from the crash test then I would expect the reveal to be shortly thereafter. If they are building them now, I would optimistically place a reveal in January if they go REALLY fast... March if they go REALLY slow.

- - - Updated - - -

Here's the image, for those who didn't get the email:

View attachment 63950

I hope those aren't TOO thin... what about side impact? If those pass as that thin it will be really cool because the current look did seem a little thick to me.

I hope those aren't TOO thin... what about side impact? If those pass as that thin it will be really cool because the current look did seem a little thick to me.

Remember that in a side impact, chassis integrity combined with airbag performance is most determinative in occupant protection. There's little to no side crush zone in any vehicle.

Model X has the same skateboard platform as Model S, which greatly reinforces the integrity of the passenger cell during a side hit.

What you probably want to look for is the strength of the B and C pillars, as well as the strength of the reinforcement bars inside the doors. Those will prevent cabin intrusion. The airbags take care of the rest.

We can also reveal that Model X will be the first electric vehicle with towing capability. The optional tow hitch will support accessories and racks to transport skis and bikes with the minimum effect on aerodynamics. We're also working with the best rack and accessory companies in the world to have elegant carrying solutions ready for Model X customers next year.

That sounds like a "carry" hitch rather than a "tow" hitch.

2. No roof-rack solution will be available, but hitch-mounted storage will be used instead.

This was my read too. I'm surprised because their head of product had said very clearly they had a roof rack workaround, but maybe he just meant there was an alternative to using a roof rack, not an alternative way of using one. Excited to see what they have in mind for people who are used to roof-mounting skis, cargo, kayaks, etc.

@earlian:

I didn't read it that way at all. My interpretation is that they will start delivering in 3rdQ and with the faster ramp-up they have been talking about should deliver all of the sig's and a substantial number of production reservations in the 3rdQ. Of course given their track record that could slip again. BTW, I did not get the email.