Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Update Email 11/18/2014

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If they wanted to stylize it to look like the Tesla T logo than they would have lite the scene differently. This is a 3D rendering so they would have had total control of the image if that is what they were going for. I think this is accurate and not stylized.

If they wanted to stylize it to look like the Tesla T logo than they would have lite the scene differently. This is a 3D rendering so they would have had total control of the image if that is what they were going for. I think this is accurate and not stylized.

I thought that was exactly how they lit it. I've never noticed the T logo before in pictures until this one. People have had to photo shop it dramatically to make it visible.

Yes, the X with opened falcons looks like the Tesla Logo.

To make it nuts: Light the rim of the doors (At the right spots) with a high quality LED and you get a huge glowing Tesla-Logo on the streets at night.

What if tesla goes for that?

c48d8a62b65b294ac589008d998d5a14.jpg

Ps. Fortunately there are no cup holders in that doors and they are still sharp like a blade. (for those who know the bicycle/horse thread)

Last edited:
still has rear view mirrors in the photo. But I'm betting they'll be gone.

Take a deeper Look at sjoshuaj's photo-mod: the mirrors are still there, but the holding arm is so thin, you can imagine to replace a camera there.

So, still hoping for a later retrofit, while I think the side cameras are also essential to improve the autopilot, for example when faster cars coming from behind, or night vision etc.

5ec5dc44494aa5a0f5382cf84ccde83f.jpg
b3506293ce76d7d3b2b1497b8318e202.jpg

Greetings Earl

Last edited:
I wonder how they decided who to send the email to. I've not received one, have other X reservation holders gotten one?
I finally got an email yesterday. After missing a few emails, I finally contacted Tesla via the website contact form to find out why. It appeared I opt'd out at some point, so they put me back in. Note: the send me Tesla updates checkbox on your TM profile didn't work to opt back in. So even if that's checked, it doesn't seem to be in sync with their marketing email tool.

You have to think after the long production delay and advances with the battery pack since the advent of the S that they will offer an extended version for the X; my prediction is an X100 with at least the same or faster charging capabilities than the S85 and 500km+ range. With the timing of deliveries looking more likely into 2016, I'm aiming for a 50'th birthday present in spring 2017. That'll do, that'll do.

You have to think after the long production delay and advances with the battery pack since the advent of the S that they will offer an extended version for the X; my prediction is an X100 with at least the same or faster charging capabilities than the S85 and 500km+ range. With the timing of deliveries looking more likely into 2016, I'm aiming for a 50'th birthday present in spring 2017. That'll do, that'll do.

The first question is, "How much more are you willing to pay for that?", and the followup question is, "How often would you use that 500km+ range?".

People with 60kWh packs are driving cross-country now. There are some, because of their specific location, who could benefit from a longer range pack - but very few.

The first question is, "How much more are you willing to pay for that?", and the followup question is, "How often would you use that 500km+ range?".

People with 60kWh packs are driving cross-country now. There are some, because of their specific location, who could benefit from a longer range pack - but very few.

in Canada the supercharger network is not very well extended and with the greater speeds and therefore faster depletion of the battery packs in europe a larger pack would be VERY welcome for the X but even for the S so ones an get to where one wants and keeping up with the local traffic at the same time. :)

edit

I would be willing to pay a good deal more for that autonomy

Hey Bonnie, for me I would use that 500+ range on a weekly basis in the summer to get to and from our cottage on Georgian Bay (413km round trip. I can plug it into a 120V over the weekend to trickle charge so I won't have to stop for a SC in Barrie, which will hopefully be open before 2017! As for how much more I would be willing to spend...I was told by the Toronto store that "the Model S and X would be similarly priced, it just depends on which vehicle suits your needs more". Not holding my breath on that one...I expect a premium of high single digit precentage over the S for the X. There is hope though that with advances at the Gigafactory will bring those costs down but might not be in time for the X.

Hey Bonnie, for me I would use that 500+ range on a weekly basis in the summer to get to and from our cottage on Georgian Bay (413km round trip. I can plug it into a 120V over the weekend to trickle charge so I won't have to stop for a SC in Barrie, which will hopefully be open before 2017! As for how much more I would be willing to spend...I was told by the Toronto store that "the Model S and X would be similarly priced, it just depends on which vehicle suits your needs more". Not holding my breath on that one...I expect a premium of high single digit precentage over the S for the X. There is hope though that with advances at the Gigafactory will bring those costs down but might not be in time for the X.

They will be 'similarly priced for similar options'. And of course, we're talking dual-option AWD 'D' version. So if you wish for a larger battery capacity, it will likely cost more.

It wouldn't surprise me if Tesla came with a 100-105 kWh battery at the price of the 85 kWh, got rid of the 60 kWh and dropped the price of the 85 kWh. But it may be that we won't see something like this happen until the Gigafactory is up and running.

The Model X could certainly use the larger battery, it will definitely have a larger aerodynamic frontal area, and lower range, especially at higher speeds. Coming with a larger battery pack would compensate for that. Good for towing, as well.

I have stated this elsewhere but it bares repeating. The longer range isn't necessarily about going a longer distance. The longer range helps improve the recharge times. If they are only able to sustain a 135kW charge rate on the pack for the first 30-40% then they would be able to sustain that rate much longer on a bigger pack. This would drop the recharge time of say, 20 minutes for a 50% charge down to something closer to 10-15 minutes for the same number of miles returned (132). This puts you back on the road faster and brings us closer to that sweet spot for charge times to make it more reasonable. I don't think we *need* a 5 minute recharge time, but 20-30 minutes is still a bit long.

132 miles is a nice sweet spot to space out the superchargers since that has you on the road for about 2 hours at a time. So getting that core time down would be helpful, because you don't need a 30 minute break every 2 hours of driving. More like every 4 or 6 hours would you really want to stop for food or something, the other stops tend to be quick in and out bathroom breaks or whatever.

So it isn't necessarily about getting to 500 miles of range or some such, but more about getting your stops down to a slightly more reasonable number. I know you would just be happy with not having to stop for 4 hours at a time in your Roadster, and 20 or 30 minutes would be a godsend for you, but it still isn't quite at that sweet spot of time which I estimate to be around 10-15 minutes for a half charge (134 miles).

Have you thought of a 24) volt electric clothes dryer outlet at the cabin. ? That's what I did at my Lakehouse. , cost only $120 .Easy to install for local electricians unused to NEMA 1450. I know nothing about Canadian electrical standards

Not sure if this is the case, but wondering if some are confusing the 500km stated with 500miles? 500km is just over 300 miles, and I think that's more than reasonable. I know personally I'd use it, and even if I didn't regularly, I'd like to have that buffer.

Not sure if this is the case, but wondering if some are confusing the 500km stated with 500miles? 500km is just over 300 miles, and I think that's more than reasonable. I know personally I'd use it, and even if I didn't regularly, I'd like to have that buffer.
I'm a Canuk so I only speak SI :tongue: (although I'm also an engineer so fluent in stone, feet, inches, miles and pounds)

- - - Updated - - -

Have you thought of a 24) volt electric clothes dryer outlet at the cabin. ? That's what I did at my Lakehouse. , cost only $120 .Easy to install for local electricians unused to NEMA 1450. I know nothing about Canadian electrical standards

Similar standards here, although I'd be parking the car at a private residence on a First Nations Reserve and then taking a boat about 9km to our cottage (that's a long extension cord!). The owner has said I can plug in to the 120V socket but not sure if they'd be open to installing a dedicated 1450. Will have to test the drive a few times first.