Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X update failed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,
A couple weeks ago my model X 2017 received an ota update that was installed over night. Next morning there was an update failed error that left my car broken. Some multimedia apps were working, but impossible to drive the car. Remote assistance could not do anything because it was a Sunday. So I called back next day and the service department decided that the car should come in for repair. If the update was the reason for the failure they would reimburse me the towing cost. (Confirmed by email) Tesla could not organise towing because my car is out of warranty. So I had to rent a car, arranged the transport to the Tesla service center and fingers crossed for a fast solution. The repair took until thursday that week and they said that incompatible firmwares of carparts were the cause of the update failure. So they had to change the firmware and reinstall the software. They mentioned that they had to reformat the sd card and if I encounter the same problem again, I should change the card.

So far so good, car is ok. But, the Tesla center judged that because the car is no longer under warranty, that I have to pay for the repair (500$) and towing cost (350$) is not refunded. And offcours the rental for 5 days is also not for free.

I am not really happy with this outcome, and have already protested the invoice. My fear is that if Tesla is not responsible for OTA updates pushed to our cars, that this can occur every couple of months. It doesn’t make sense that a company can disable your property at a distance and doesn’t take any responsibility afterwards.

I would love to drive my MX a couple of years longer, because I like the car and am happy with it. But this issue is really bothering me and even prevents me from buying a new MX.

Am I wrong, should I just get over it? I would love to have some feedback from other Tesla owners.

this was the description of the Tesla center:
Car was towed to us. After a (failed) software update, the car did nothing anymore. Only the doors still open. After an extensive diagnosis, it was determined that the firmware
of the MCU was different from the firmware of the various modules in the car. Because there was corrupt data on the gateway SD, the gateway itself could no longer translate the signals. After formatting the gateway SD and multiple firmware updates, communication between the modules is restored. If this occurs again, the SD card must be replaced. (Apologies for the Google translate)