TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Model X update takes away moving 2nd row seats from the touchscreen?

Discussion in 'Model X' started by fiksegts, Mar 4, 2016.

1. fiksegts

fiksegts Active Member

Model X update takes away moving 2nd row seats from the touchscreen? I can't find the button, used to be on the doors control screen?

2. Blurry_Eyed

Blurry_Eyed MS Sig #267, MX Sig # 761

Yes. I was told by my service center that it may come back in a future update. I suspect that they were having problems with the feature since it was causing seat errors if you didn't cycle the 2nd row seats completely by holding the touch screen controls and moving them all the way in one direction and then back in the other direction. It seemed like the touch screen control was just meant to move the seats to allow people to enter and exit the 3rd row and it would error if the seats didn't do the complete front to back cycle. But I think people may have been trying to use them to make fine front/back adjustments to the 2nd row seat position and it would throw up the 2nd row seats not locked error if you did that (at least it did that in my car a lot).

I notice that if you move the 2nd row seats in just the right way, the seat error will still throw up with a picture of the controls on the main touch screen, but you can't use the touch screen controls, so it seems as if the software code is still in there in some manner. I think it will return once they sort out the user interface issues and how the touchscreen controls work.

3. Mark Z

Mark Z Active Member

#3 Mark Z, Mar 5, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2016
    Below is the graphic that appears when a second row seat is not latched for safety. Since the Owner's Manual is out of date, I will explain the current seat movement of the second row to help the understanding of how it works today.

Here is how the Owner's Manual explains the button I will be talking about: "Press the Easy Entry button located on the backrest of each second row outside seat."

There are two sides to the "Easy Entry button" rocker switch (< >), one side for forward and one side for reverse. With the latest software, you can touch once to start movement, touch once to stop movement, or hold the button for manual movement.

To enter the rear seats, touch the forward button. The second row seat will move completely forward and the driver or passenger seat will move if necessary. The passenger can now enter and sit in the third row. At this point, touch the reverse button. With a passenger in the third row seat, the second row seat will move back to the latch position and no further. If there is NO passenger in the third row seat, the seat moves back fully and will NOT have adequate leg room for a passenger.

(Since I have one early version and one later version of the seat mover hardware, they work differently. The early version tilts the seat at the end of movement, causing discomfort to the third row passenger. That does NOT happen with the more recent seat mover. The seat does not tilt at the end of movement and stops with adequate leg room. I will request that my SC replaces the early seat mover, since it is causing problems for my left third row passenger.) Link: 6 seat vs. 7 seat - Page 10

IF the seat is not latched because your passengers hold the "Easy Entry button" down and stop the seat short of the latch click, the graphic below will appear on the touchscreen when the driver exits Park. One touch of the blue button on the touch screen will move the seat back to latch as mentioned above.

Unlatched Seat.jpg

One more thing... If you press the physical button located in the top outside corner of the third row seat, the headrest will flip forward quickly AND the second row seat will move forward to the same position as if a passenger is sitting in the third row. (Added during a recent software update, it prevents the seat backs from being damaged as the third row seat backs are lowered to the cargo position.) it's a handy way to pre-position the seats if you have passengers entering a six seat version through the center space.

(The original Owner's Manual mentions using the touchscreen to lower the third row seat backs to cargo mode. That was because the first generation third row seats had a spring to lower the seat backs mechanically. Those first generation seats have been replaced with seat backs that you must lower and raise by hand.)

4. Mark Z

Mark Z Active Member

Since edits are turned off within hours, I will do it the old fashion way. The seats appear to be operating similarly when I sat in the vehicle this morning! And one seat didn't move fully forward depending on the previous manual setting of the tilt! Here is the old paragraph:

(Since I have one early version and one later version of the seat mover hardware, they work differently. The early version tilts the seat at the end of movement, causing discomfort to the third row passenger. That does NOT happen with the more recent seat mover. The seat does not tilt at the end of movement and stops with adequate leg room. I will request that my SC replaces the early seat mover, since it is causing problems for my left third row passenger.) Link: 6 seat vs. 7 seat - Page 10

And here is the revised paragraph:

(Since I have one early version and one later version of the seat mover hardware, they MIGHT work differently. Depending on tilt settings, the seat MAY tilt at the end of movement, causing discomfort to the third row passenger. At other times, the seat does not tilt at the end of movement and stops with adequate leg room. I will request that my SC possibly realign both seat movers, since it is causing problems for both passengers at various times. Ideally, we should have the ability to set the leg room distance when a rear passenger is seated.) Link: 6 seat vs. 7 seat - Page 10

5. Mark Z

Mark Z Active Member

After the latest software update, I sat in the third row to see if any improvement had been made to avoid my knee getting pressed by the second row seat. Sorry, no improvement.

Through trial and error I have found a technique that solves the problem of moving the seat forward after the knee press and losing the latching that results in a warning for the driver.

The million dollar solution is to have your finger above the "Easy Entry" button while the seat moves back. As soon as you hear the latch sound, hit the button briefly. The seat stops with the correct leg room and the driver doesn't get the warning screen. Tesla needs to automate this, but until they do, you now know the secret to third row seating comfort.

The huge benefit of this technique is that the seat is stopped before it tilts back. At last, something that works. It just takes a bit of manual dexterity.