TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Model X upgrading in 2020 ?

Discussion in 'Model X' started by Niles7, Dec 29, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Niles7

Niles7 Member

2. aesculus

aesculus Still Trying to Figure This All Out

3. Niles7

Niles7 Member

I dont think much on the performance upgrades, but refreshed interiors is something I would like to wait for. But I haven't seen anything anywhere about refreshed interiors, other than this article. Would appreciate any info on it.

4. forkee

forkee Member

i highly doubt it. what you see now is what you'll get. Tesla is moving forward to the next vehicles. The interior/exterior design of the S/X will not change. They will continue to improve through software, but don't hold your breath for any changes appearance wise. If they do change any hardware, it would be internal improvements due to increased efficiency and cheaper production methods like they've been doing already since the beginning.

• Like x 1
  5. Uncle Paul

Uncle Paul Well-Known Member

Electrick has been wrong so many times about the "upcoming refresh" that it is unreliable to use that to time our purchase.

Years ago they published pictures of an emminent refresh of the interior to make it more like the Model 3 interior...it never happened.

Not they are theorizing that when the Plaid 3 motor drive is released, they will refresh the interiors of all the cars at the same time.

To me, it will make sense to offer an upgraded interior with the much more expensive Plaid drive line. It will have wider fenders as well for a more agressive look. That interior may, at some time, make it into the base car, but more likely it will be an extra cost option to do so.

The current S?X interiors still look great and have aged well.

6. Niles7

Niles7 Member

I kinda agree that the current S/X interiors are still years ahead of the rest of the luxury vehicles. Still, any refresh will make the older one less desirable. I hope I have at least a year of the "New" feeling :)

7. Niles7

Niles7 Member

Yes, Tesla is moving on to the next line of vehicles i.e. Model Y and 3. Standardizing on the interiors across the board with software controlled HVAC and horizontal screen would give them easier change over on production lines and better parts inventory. This makes even more sense if the volume of S/X production is less than 10% of their total production. But again, I don't think it would happen before Q3 next year even if Tesla decides to do it.

• Like x 1
  8. Alset Srotom

Alset Srotom Member

S & X share a line, 3 & Y will share a line. No changeover is incurred due to screen orientation...however, you are correct in that any time you can standardize a part and reduce variants & inventory levels you have improved the process. Though, when you consider that also means engineering a new dash, wiring harness, routings/clippings & establishing suppliers of new items you may be better off sticking with the variants...especially when it's a low volume unit such as X/S.