Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Used Prices

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I agree with jevan I think people are trying to convince themselves that the Y will be just as good as X but the truth is specs wise it’s not comparable. Y is more advanced tech but physically both cars are completely different. MX will always be the cream of the crop for Tesla. A lot of Y buyers will be disappointed and regret.

Reactions: StoXto3toY
Did "a lot" of people sell their MS for M3? I mean I don't know if that really happened. BIG difference between an S and a 3..two different target markets. I mean I just never really saw that happen on the scale that I periodically hear people mention---but of course could be wrong.

With the new MCU upgrade pathway your point on aging MCUs is moot--and also 2.0 hardware is not only widely available now on used X's if you look at ev-cpo its actually the majority configuration (2.0+)

I mean, I just don't see how a person would go from an X to a Y. If you come across someone saying so, I'd love to hear their explanation; perhaps I am missing something.

The new MCU update is definitely a huge bonus for these used Model X. As you mentioned, most of the used X available currently have AP 2.0. Even with the new MCU upgrade available, it's still very unclear how to deliver FSD with 2.0 hardware. Updating the MCU does not update the sensors or cameras on these cars, and I think there is still some uncertainty on exactly how they are going to achieve FSD with 2.0 at this point. There are reports of quite a few people with significant degradation issues specific to the 90 packs on Model X. I'm personally unsure about the practicality of the falcon wing doors as well. So take all of that, and compare it to a brand new Y for $10K less, that gets an extra 50 advertised miles, and I think there will be a lot more takers of a Model Y vs a 3-4 year old X w/ 2.0 and a 90 pack.

• Disagree
Reactions: M3BlueGeorgia
I agree with jevan I think people are trying to convince themselves that the Y will be just as good as X but the truth is specs wise it’s not comparable. Y is more advanced tech but physically both cars are completely different. MX will always be the cream of the crop for Tesla. A lot of Y buyers will be disappointed and regret.

Perhaps this is a US biased perspective? People most places elsewhere are nowhere near the size of us on average. :D

The new MCU update is definitely a huge bonus for these used Model X. As you mentioned, most of the used X available currently have AP 2.0. Even with the new MCU upgrade available, it's still very unclear how to deliver FSD with 2.0 hardware. Updating the MCU does not update the sensors or cameras on these cars, and I think there is still some uncertainty on exactly how they are going to achieve FSD with 2.0 at this point. There are reports of quite a few people with significant degradation issues specific to the 90 packs on Model X. I'm personally unsure about the practicality of the falcon wing doors as well. So take all of that, and compare it to a brand new Y for $10K less, that gets an extra 50 advertised miles, and I think there will be a lot more takers of a Model Y vs a 3-4 year old X w/ 2.0 and a 90 pack.

Sorry, I'm still a n00b in this world. AP means??? I get most of the other acronyms.

I’m just saying a 2016 MX 90D with 30k miles and AP2 with PUP can be had for 60k right now with 4 year warranty and free supercharging. I see a lot of sellers wanting 60-65k for 2016 MX 75D with AP1 and no PUP no warranty left and no supercharging. I’m sure the experience won’t be ideal but your saving 10-15k off of private seller offers. At the end of the day it’s all used and can’t expect you will get brand new.

I've been looking for exactly this spec and price for over a year with no luck (excepting cars with an accident record). Not on Tesla's site, not on Autotrader or Only Used Tesla or any of the other marketplaces. What magic spell did you use? Maybe it's because you're in California?

I've been looking for exactly this spec and price for over a year with no luck (excepting cars with an accident record). Not on Tesla's site, not on Autotrader or Only Used Tesla or any of the other marketplaces. What magic spell did you use? Maybe it's because you're in California?
Be patient and constantly look at the prices. They drop everyday at least $400 until they are sold except for weekends they don’t drop at all. I was able to snag a 2016 MX 90D with PUP AP2 free supercharging and 4 year fresh warranty for 61k. I’m seeing comparable now for around 63k on Tesla site so they are there just have to be patient and don’t second guess yourself otherwise you will lose it to someone else.

• Helpful
Reactions: copyhacker

I used this website last December. It found me the only 2017 MX 100D unit in the US at the time. There were lots of 2016s as I recall.

https://ev-cpo.com/hunter/

Be careful of the accident report exclusions, because a properly repaired vehicle from a moderate accident doesn't impact the usefulness of the car, but can reduce the price. Vehicles under 3 years old usually have good insurance and therefore good quality repairs.

• Helpful
Reactions: copyhacker
If you buy from Tesla or Dealer, Free Supercharge has historically been removed. If you buy older cars (with FUSC tied to VIN) from a private party it’s supposed to stick. On newer cars (with FUSC tied to owner) it never transfers. Now Tesla at any time can have a promotion to include it on anything.
I’ve often heard cautions that Tesla removes free supercharging on its used cars. But I regularly troll the used model X’s at Tesla.com, and can’t recall in recent history them not having free supercharging. So in some cases, they are adding it to cars that didn’t previously have it. I agree, tho, that Tesla giveth and Tesla takeith away, so they could change this at any time.

I’m not understanding. If you buy a used tesla it clearly states you will have free unlimited supercharging for current owner for life. If you sell the car to subsequent owners then free supercharging is removed. Not confusing. You will either have it or you won’t.

Once upon a time, Tesla removed free supercharging from its used inventory. Around September -November of 2019 ( during my search for a X) I noticed that the used 90kw had free supercharging. In December 2019, all the used model x began having free supercharging again. Around Jan 2020, they only offered it for the used 90kw only again.
The sales rep told me that they are having a hard time selling the 90s, which is why they are giving the SCing incentive

Reactions: Bigriver
I just did a search of the used 100D (“long range”) model X’s at Tesla.com. 7 of 9 have free supercharging listed as the first item. 2 of 9 do not say anything about supercharging. They are all 2017 and 2018 which do not have supercharging that sticks with the vehicle, so Tesla is choosing at this time to add the supercharging for the next owner.

• Informative
Reactions: M3BlueGeorgia