Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Vent Feature

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It could be that the windows don’t have sensors to detect if something is caught in them? Not sure.

I also noticed that the vent only opens the front two windows. Rear windows are untouched.

It could be that the windows don’t have sensors to detect if something is caught in them? Not sure.

I also noticed that the vent only opens the front two windows. Rear windows are untouched.

The windows do have anti pinch sensors. That’s why my driver’s window sometimes has problems going up in the rain - the seal drag is enough to trip them.

No clue why we can’t close, or why Ss can’t do either with this firmware.

Or maybe it's such a common issue for the windows to trigger the pinch detection and go halfway down that they didn't implement it. My driver's side window has the same issue as @Saghost, except mine does it without rain. Can only imagine closing my "vented" windows to come back and see them halfway down.

...Can only imagine closing my "vented" windows to come back and see them halfway down.

This scenario happened to me a couple of weeks ago (before V10) during a heavy thunderstorm... I had the windows manually vented about 3" each and when it started to rain, I ran out to put them back up using the auto-up feature on the driver's switch panel. I pressed all four switches in a quick series and let them go auto-up then ran back inside to take cover... As it turns out, my rear passenger side window had a problem where it wouldn't go up until it had gone all the way down - maybe the pinch sensor, maybe something else, who knows. So, by using the auto-up function, I just opened that window more. Ugh - really frustrating, I trusted it to work and it didn't. Luckily, the wind and rain were out of the opposite direction so the interior stayed relatively dry. The window closing issue has since been fixed by mobile service.

It’s not the pinch sensor that makes Model X windows go down. That’s how you calibrate the windows, you hit them back down as they’re going up. Sometimes going over a bump while rolling the window up does it!

I’m so bummed, brand new X.

Close is so much more useful than open.

I wonder if it’s a current draw issue of running all windows at once (as implemented).

More current to go up than down.

maybe, but if you have the front two doors open (windows all the way up) and initiate "close all", they will close at the same time and roll up that 1" or so gap on both sides with no problems. if all 4 windows is too much, they could always stagger it.

if it's a pinch safety concern, they could always enable a warning tone to alert people.

i think a close window option would be a great feature, despite me leaving the windows closed 99% of the time.

I suspect the Model X only has control over lowering the windows to support the ModelXmas easter egg, which is why the S got nothing. It might be possible for them to add open and close on both vehicles, but it would likely have been more involved than just calling a feature that was already there.

I suspect the Model X only has control over lowering the windows to support the ModelXmas easter egg, which is why the S got nothing. It might be possible for them to add open and close on both vehicles, but it would likely have been more involved than just calling a feature that was already there.
The windows do go up slightly when the door is closed so hopefully they can figure a way to make it go all the way up eventually.