Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X VIN decoder ring

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looks like we have some new stuff coming in the Model X VINs, so building on the Tesla Wiki VIN decoder for the X, with a sample size of 1.5 (someone else posted their 2 different VINs for identical Sigs but one with 6 and the other with 7 seats):

Digits 1-3: 5YJ = Tesla WMI
Digit 4: Line/Series (S/X, I'll assume Model III will be "E" :)
Digit 5: Body Type (my X VIN is "C" here, as opposed to "A" for the Model S 5 door hatchback.)
Digit 6: This seems to be seat arrangement on the X (A=7 seats, B=6 seats, ?C=5 seats?)
Digit 7: Unclear, no match to what's shown in the Wiki, my P90D has an "E" here.
Digit 8: The dual motor S has a "2" here, my dual motor Ludicrous has a "4" here. Any Ludicrous S owners out there with info on digit 8, or anyone with a non-ludicrous X who have their VIN assigned want to contribute here?)
Digit 9: Check digit?
Digit 10: Model year, F=2015, the X probably starts at G=2016, mine is a "G"
Digit 11: Manufacture location: F=Fremont, anyone know the european location code?
Digit 12: Production series (A, B, R, S=Signature, F=Founders, Production has a 0-9 digit here as the first of 6 digits in the production sequence to allow for 999,999 cars :)
Digit 13-17: Production sequence last 5 digits.

Peter+

Looks like we have some new stuff coming in the Model X VINs, so building on the Tesla Wiki VIN decoder for the X, with a sample size of 1.5 (someone else posted their 2 different VINs for identical Sigs but one with 6 and the other with 7 seats):

Digits 1-3: 5YJ = Tesla WMI
Digit 4: Line/Series (S/X, I'll assume Model III will be "E" :)
Digit 5: Body Type (my X VIN is "C" here, as opposed to "A" for the Model S 5 door hatchback.)
Digit 6: This seems to be seat arrangement on the X (A=7 seats, B=6 seats, ?C=5 seats?)
Digit 7: Unclear, no match to what's shown in the Wiki, my P90D has an "E" here.
Digit 8: The dual motor S has a "2" here, my dual motor Ludicrous has a "4" here. Any Ludicrous S owners out there with info on digit 8, or anyone with a non-ludicrous X who have their VIN assigned want to contribute here?)
Digit 9: Check digit?
Digit 10: Model year, F=2015, the X probably starts at G=2016, mine is a "G"
Digit 11: Manufacture location: F=Fremont, anyone know the european location code?
Digit 12: Production series (A, B, R, S=Signature, F=Founders, Production has a 0-9 digit here as the first of 6 digits in the production sequence to allow for 999,999 cars :)
Digit 13-17: Production sequence last 5 digits.

Peter+

11Location of Manufacture3 = Hethel, UK
My VIN and my options in my signature

Via: VIN Decoder | TeslaTap where you can play with the drop down options (if you don't have your VIN populated in the "Decode VIN" area)

Image: http://i.imgur.com/79N48EE.png
79N48EE.png

Last edited:
Digit 8 - we have a "4" but do not have Ludicrous in our P90D.

Digit 9 - we have a zero, but I have no explanation why.

Digit 10 - we have a "G" and since it's a Production reservation we'll be getting it in 2016.

Digit 12 - we have a zero, so presumably first round of Production up to 99,999.

Digits 13-17 - we have 003xx, so I guess that means our P90D will be the 3xxth Production built?

In case it helps decode more, we ordered a P90D, no Ludicrous, standard wheels, Midnight Silver Metallic, Ultra White Seats, Figured Ash Wood Décor, Black Headliner, Seven Seat Interior, AutoPilot, Premium Upgrades Package, and Ultra High Fidelity Sound. Our reservation number was 50xx, made in August 2013. We're taking delivery in California.

5YJXCAE40GF0003xx

Now I will buck the trend and not pointlessly quote the entire prior thread like so many people seem to do on this forum for no good reason...