Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X vs Audi E-tron in Europe

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Probably no one would be happier to see all the German manufacturers sell tons of their EVs. Idea is to make cities cleaner and more healthy for the people that live there.

On a side note most of the Germans are directly copying the Tesla. Same Lithium Ion batteries, same skateboard design, same center mounted touch screen display, same one or two electric motors directly connected to the axles, same one speed transmissions.

They are pretty much copying them and claiming excellence.

Until Tesla has a manufacturing plant in Europe the local manufacturers will have a financial edge due to the huge protective tariffs they levy on foreign manufacturers.

Reactions: 1375mlm
I am in the same boat, thinking about to sell my 90D and buy a Audi E-tron. My local Audi dealer will receive one in the next week, looking forward to check it out.

Also, dont forget the 150kW charging. An engineer from Fastned confirmed it will be able to charge with 150kW all the way up to 80%! (Roland van der Put on Twitter)

Compared with the Model X (or even the S), which will taper rather fast after 50-60%, I think the E-Tron will be a better roadtrip vehicle. Charging networks (CCS) are coming up fast in Europa now. IONITY started building 18 new stations in only 2 weeks (IONITY EU) and Fastned is also deploying those 175kW chargers pretty fast (Fastned - only Dutch though)!

+ Cheaper than Model X
+ Interior is way, way better.
+ CarPlay + Waze
+ Better service, dont have to wait ~ 6-7 months for parts anymore

- Model X looks better (opinion)
- Model X has ~ 5-10% better efficiency, but Audi has 150kW charging up to 80%. Curious to see the math on this which one will be faster for roadtripping.

• Informative
Reactions: 1375mlm and Bogobec
I am in the same boat, thinking about to sell my 90D and buy a Audi E-tron. My local Audi dealer will receive one in the next week, looking forward to check it out.

Also, dont forget the 150kW charging. An engineer from Fastned confirmed it will be able to charge with 150kW all the way up to 80%! (Roland van der Put on Twitter)

Compared with the Model X (or even the S), which will taper rather fast after 50-60%, I think the E-Tron will be a better roadtrip vehicle. Charging networks (CCS) are coming up fast in Europa now. IONITY started building 18 new stations in only 2 weeks (IONITY EU) and Fastned is also deploying those 175kW chargers pretty fast (Fastned - only Dutch though)!

+ Cheaper than Model X
+ CarPlay + Waze

- Model X has ~ 5-10% better efficiency, but Audi has 150kW charging up to 80%. Curious to see the math on this which one will be faster for roadtripping.

Finally some guys that understand :)

We have 2 Teslas (X and 3) and an Audi SQ5, all the same model year. The SQ5 has, by far, the worst fit and finish of the three. We also have far more issues with its MMI than with the Tesla systems (and it cannot be updated over the air). The Audi dealer where we bought the SQ5 is arrogant, condescending and defaults to finger pointing back at us for all MMI issues rather than trying to diagnose/fix them.

We have had several Audis, and will replace the SQ5 with an e-tron (from a different dealer). Each vehicle/manufacturer has its strengths and weaknesses. Assuming Audi quality is better than Tesla quality is an iffy assumption, though.

• Informative
I heard the eTron is only being sold online (i.e. dealers cannot order them). Is that correct?
You can make a reservation online (by paying a $1000 deposit). During the process you select a dealer.

We made a pre-reveal reservation, selecting the "Edition One" and a local dealer. The dealer has already contacted us a few times - mainly saying hello and providing a high-level outline of the process.

You can make a reservation online (by paying a $1000 deposit). During the process you select a dealer.

We made a pre-reveal reservation, selecting the "Edition One" and a local dealer. The dealer has already contacted us a few times - mainly saying hello and providing a high-level outline of the process.
Are you switching from a Tesla? Audi of Denver?

Only ask since I’m considering a switch.

Supercharging or other long range travel fast charging is what takes a car from a "town" car to one you can use all the time. And regardless of the real need is feature many consider it key. After all how many times have we heard the term "range anxiety" and heard people call EVs toys because they cannot use and car to make a 1000 mile trip (not that many people do) and fill up on any street corner.

I fall into the category of not needing the Supercharger network for 90%+ of my annual mileage, but when I need it, I really do need it! It was certainly a big factor in choosing to make the switch from fossil burning. Having seen the state of UK public chargers I wouldn't want to be relying on those at all! I'm sure it will get better in the next few years, but for now Supercharging is the premium solution whenever away from home. Tesla destination chargers have proven useful too.

I think the E-tron is bland design on the exterior, would wait for the sportback. The interior is OK, and I am sure materials will be top notch. That being said:

1. Zen-like interior will grow on you if you give it a chance. I vastly prefer my model 3 functionality to my Merc, although the second is clearly a nicer interior. But navigating menus is not easy. In a Tesla you practically do not need the user manual, everything is straightforward (minus the glovebox button)
2. I realize that many people prefer an SUV for the higher driving position, but at the same time they are much harder to park, and are less fun to drive. The visibility from the 3 is awesome.
3. There are plans for superchargers in Romania - I suspect we will see some next year. I followed the execution of network in Spain / Portugal, and as you can see there is now pushing into East Europe.

So my suggestion is wait for model 3 - European deliveries will start soon.

Cargo capacity, 1600ish liters vs 2400ish in the X
Towing capacity 4000* lb vs 5000 lb in the X
*When properly equipped=$ for Audi
Can't find GVWR-Curb Weight anywhere, but if it follow the same it's likely at least 20% lower.
How many 150 kW chargers are there in North America, I know it's 0 around here, so charging time likely 3x rated when on the road, even stuck on Chademo here it seems we'll be quicker with the X still for the lifespan of the vehicles, and the SC network has just started rolling out nearby us.

I suppose if you don't mind a smaller, less efficient and cheaper option, the e-tron does provide an interesting option and certainly might help keep the pressure from behind on Tesla to innovate and maintain their market advantage.

Reactions: Bogobec
I fall into the category of not needing the Supercharger network for 90%+ of my annual mileage, but when I need it, I really do need it! It was certainly a big factor in choosing to make the switch from fossil burning. Having seen the state of UK public chargers I wouldn't want to be relying on those at all! I'm sure it will get better in the next few years, but for now Supercharging is the premium solution whenever away from home. Tesla destination chargers have proven useful too.

My supercharging usage is also very low. Usually just on trips. But since I only have level 1 (120V) charging at home, I occasionally use Superchargers on trips here in the SF Bay area.

I have used a few pay Level 2 chargers, but they are usually very expensive for more than a few miles. The Chargepoints by me at $1.00/hr for 1st hour and $5/hr for each hour after the first. It may be a local things, but if that is what trip charging is like without Supercharging or Destination chargers, that is way too expensive.

+ Cheaper than Model X
+ CarPlay + Waze

There is one e-Tron exposed last week in Zurich so had the chance to have a look at it. I am coming from an Audi A6 and have now a S75D.
This is really typical Audi interior, so if you like it, you will not be disappointed. I would have to point the difference but it really look like almost identical to the Audi A6 or A7 interior (the new generation).
There is good and bad to this Audi typical interior. Obviously, if you like old fashion interior, this look as amazing as every Audi but it is quite a confusing interior compared to a Tesla. Many buttons are replaced by on-screen buttons but it remains full of (tactile) button everywhere and is really not that user friendly.
For instance, the Tesla GPS is super clear with just one search field. And if you click on the screen, you see the options of showing the traffic / Google Earth and Supercharger but on the Audi, this is plenty of buttons on the small 10" screen, including some redundant one like zoom (why do you need on-screen button if the screen is tactile?).
And every operations still take 2 or 3 times more steps than on a Tesla. Nothing new under the sun here anyway.

2 points though: here in Switzerland, the setup presented, full options was 120kCHF which is roughly 110k$ if you remove the 8% VAT.
Even if you remove things like the big wheel and opening roof, it means 115kCHF. In comparison, a S75D similarly equipped is 92k§CHF so the Audi is 25% more expensive. This is MASSIVE.

Also, this is in NO WAY comparable to a X. Interior is really similar to a Q5 and cargo space is surpringly small. I doubt you have more than 500-550l available (a tiny stuff on the front maybe to put a charging cable?).
Also, the rear middle seat is hard (arm rest), has suprinsigly a bump (although there is no need for a transmission tunnel) and no space to put the feet below the air vent.
My conclusion is that it is really more a 4 seats car and seems really derived from an ICE platform.

Without speaking of the lack of fast charging infrastructure (coming, i know but still 2-3 years from comparing with Tesla), which should put the Audi in good situation with 150kW charging, the autonomy on the highway seems to be under 320km at 130km/h.

It means that it really compare to a S75D for long trip, based on the range and charging speed (charging faster but having >25% higher consumption as well).

Bottom line: the conclusion is that you can pick up a S75D with existing fast charging network, years of experience from others, and continuous OTA, or you can get a smaller 4 seater Audi for 25% more with the only difference being that it looks like your ICE Audi, and that will obviously depreciate much much more (because of no OTA update and limited range).

I think that you need to put a pretty huge preference and biais toward legacy Audi interior to swallow the huge offering ratio difference.

The e-Tron looks inferior to a model X on every metric. I’m all for other EV’s, not being a hater, but this thread was a comparison. Take out the subjective parts (interior/exterior styling) because well, they are subjective, and the e-Tron is clearly inferior. However, the model X is no longer the new kid on the block and some people just need to have something new and exciting. Have fun charging at 50kw, not to mention all the hassle of these charging systems compared to Tesla park, plug, walk away.

Vortexz, you'll have to forgive some of us Tesla folks for nitpicking. Established car companies like Audi have been slamming the idea of EV's and Tesla in particular for years. Actually we'll all be delighted to see Audis and Jaguars on the road. I just hope they really plan to make them and to sell them, and it's not another limited production thing like the Chevy Bolt is turning out to be.