Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X vs. Audi e-tron

Which car would you choose?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We have both the X and the e-tron. The Audi is typical Audi, but the technical part is way behind the Tesla.
I find the technical aspect to be a lot more frustrating than the Tesla.
Charging at Electrify American is not easy to navigate through. Plus, setting up the home charging, I had to buy a Juice Box for 800.00 to control charging.
My X is 3.5 years old and the only issue has been a window replacement. I’m 81 and going to get another X, but waiting for Sept 22 to see if upgrades are coming. It really is a easy choice.
Go Elon

Hello!

I currently drive a Model 3 and my grandparents are looking into getting their first EV car. They want to trade in their Audi A3 Sportback e-tron that only has 20 miles of battery range then uses gas.

They have always bought Audi's and are having a hard time debating between the 2019 Audi e-tron or 2020 e-tron Sportback (which isn't out yet) or a New Model X.

Besides range being the biggest difference and the Model X being the best choice for that, what other pros/cons do you have for the e-tron vs. Model X?? (which car would you choose, and why?)

Thanks in advance.

I only have one question. Are they living a working/commuting lifestyle or are they living a retired/travel lifestyle?

If they’re doing any amount of traveling by car, the Model X is the answer. No supercharger network plus lower range on the e-tron makes it really difficult.

There’s CCS but it’s not as convenient as superchargers. If they’re typicallly local, I’d probably go etron for the familiarity and comfort.

Reactions: BlindPass
Forgot to mention the regenerative breaking. No comparison, the Tesla is HANDS far superior to the e-tron.
You should never have to replace brakes on the Tesla.
To get the regenerative braking on the e-tron you have to activate the paddles every time you drive.
Otherwise, the e-tron in automatic regenerative braking is next to nothing. Big mistake for Audi.

Forgot to mention the regenerative breaking. No comparison, the Tesla is HANDS far superior to the e-tron.
You should never have to replace brakes on the Tesla.
To get the regenerative braking on the e-tron you have to activate the paddles every time you drive.
Otherwise, the e-tron in automatic regenerative braking is next to nothing. Big mistake for Audi.

I guess this depends on personal preferences. To be honest, I don't like the default regenerative braking Tesla has. In over 7 months since I own one, I would've got used to it but I still don't like it. I tried to set it to low but then the brakes are really not powerful enough (Model S, I hear the 3 may have better brakes). It's clear Tesla designed the braking system in the S to be just enough and to work as intended with regen on.

I don't like the default regenerative braking Tesla has.... I tried to set it to low but then the brakes are really not powerful enough
Well I suppose you can find people that are adamant they still like their rotary dial telephones, steam engines, fax machines, and love the smell of napalm (or gasoline) in the morning...

We have lots of mountain roads here in rural Oregon. The regenerative braking is one of the very best implementations I could imagine. It is an an absolute joy to drive exclusively with the gas pedal on these windy mountain roads: regenerative braking is the best!

"Brakes are really not powerful enough" - huh??? What is that supposed to mean? Unfathomable...

Reactions: SoGA Fan Club
UPDATE: They test drove both cars and while my grandma loved the Audi more, my grandpa decided to go with a Tesla Model X Performance w/ FSD since it was going to be him driving it more.

His main reasons for going with the Tesla were the OTA updates, newer technology, range and supercharger network,Tesla’s hold their value better, and he wanted something that stood out and had that WOW factor.

Thank you for all the suggestions.

We have both the X and the e-tron. The Audi is typical Audi, but the technical part is way behind the Tesla.
I find the technical aspect to be a lot more frustrating than the Tesla.
Charging at Electrify American is not easy to navigate through. Plus, setting up the home charging, I had to buy a Juice Box for 800.00 to control charging.
My X is 3.5 years old and the only issue has been a window replacement. I’m 81 and going to get another X, but waiting for Sept 22 to see if upgrades are coming. It really is a easy choice.
Go Elon

50 years younger, but I totally agree. :p

I have an e-tron and it's endlessly confusing. Tonight I tried to pre-condition, but it wasn't warming the cabin after 10 minutes. Tried putting the auxiliary HVAC on and still nothing. There could be half a dozen reasons why the heat wasn't turning on. It's completely unintuitive.

• Love
Reactions: tierneyalvin