Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X vs Audi Q8 etron with 430 miles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Audi to release pure EV to rival Tesla X in 2018 with 'more than 500km (310 miles) range' !

http://www.themotorreport.com.au/61055/audi-confirms-electric-rival-to-teslas-model-x-suv

Audi is my favourite auto-maker (after Tesla) and they make truly beautiful vehicles. However, they don't have any experience with BEV yet, only hybrids. I suspect that their claims are at 310 miles using the NEDC standard, not the EPA standard. The Model-S already is rated an NEDC 310 mile range or an EPA 265 mile range. I suspect the Model-X will be somewhere in that ball-park too.

Not to mention that they will be almost 2 years behind the release of the Model-X. By that time, I would expect a lot more improvements to the Model-X from real-life experiences. Audi is far behind, which saddens me.

As an Audi Q7 owner since its inception in 2006, I love the Crossover. It was based on the Audi A6 car chassis and handles like a car with the space of an SUV. In a pinch one could use the standard 3rd row seat for SMALL adults or children. Mine have mostly remained folded.

I was looking to up-grade to the next generation Audi Q7, but it was delay several times, and the only option was to buy another one similar to what I owned. Theoretically, I would drive off the lot with a similar Q7 an a payment book as the main "upgrade". Therefore I opted to wait till the rumored 2013 refresh that was moved to 2014 with the e-tron version later in 2014. Neither occurred the design was rejected by Germany. So I reserved a Model X thinking could make a comparison between the Audi and Tesla before committing to either. Finally, Audi announced the 2015 model of the Q7 with the e-tron hybrid (Porsche hybrid technology) to follow in 2016. Keep in mind, when Audi announces a vehicle in the US, it is similar to Tesla announcing in Australia --down under will get one about a year later. There are no 2015 Audi Q7 in showrooms. Each of the US regions will get a launch event sometime this year, a demo (can't be sold) with shipments most likely in 2016. I have to admit, Audi knows how to launch a model and drive interest -- I have been to several and ate and drank to my delight. Sorry for the long-winded retort, but I thought some background beneficial.

My point is if Audi is making a BEV in 2018, their track record for slippage is no different than Tesla. I would not expect any deliveries of the Q8 before 2019-20 in the US. Audi spent 3 years mule testing (to their benefit) the new Q7. At the end of the day, it is a refresh of the old body style, and the A6 under-pinning. Audi has the resources -- financial and engineering -- to make the Q8 a reality. The Model X will be the driving force by taking some small share from a very profitable Audi CUV.

Currently, the Audi Q8 is merely a concept. Because of Audi's engineering, testing, service and attention to detail, I would love to see it become a reality. Unfortunately, for me it is too far into the future.

Audi has a lot of endurance racing experience and success with their Diesel Hybrid race cars. Their 2014 Le Mans winning car does not even have a battery. The car uses a super capacitor to store energy captured under regeneration (coasting and braking) to assist in corner exits and instant acceleration situations with front wheel drive. They may use this type of technology to use a capacitor to store energy for acceleration and only use the battery as a constant draw reserve for range.

As an Audi Q7 owner since its inception in 2006, I love the Crossover. It was based on the Audi A6 car chassis and handles like a car with the space of an SUV. In a pinch one could use the standard 3rd row seat for SMALL adults or children. Mine have mostly remained folded.

I was looking to up-grade to the next generation Audi Q7, but it was delay several times, and the only option was to buy another one similar to what I owned. Theoretically, I would drive off the lot with a similar Q7 an a payment book as the main "upgrade". Therefore I opted to wait till the rumored 2013 refresh that was moved to 2014 with the e-tron version later in 2014. Neither occurred the design was rejected by Germany. So I reserved a Model X thinking could make a comparison between the Audi and Tesla before committing to either. Finally, Audi announced the 2015 model of the Q7 with the e-tron hybrid (Porsche hybrid technology) to follow in 2016. Keep in mind, when Audi announces a vehicle in the US, it is similar to Tesla announcing in Australia --down under will get one about a year later. There are no 2015 Audi Q7 in showrooms. Each of the US regions will get a launch event sometime this year, a demo (can't be sold) with shipments most likely in 2016. I have to admit, Audi knows how to launch a model and drive interest -- I have been to several and ate and drank to my delight. Sorry for the long-winded retort, but I thought some background beneficial.

My point is if Audi is making a BEV in 2018, their track record for slippage is no different than Tesla. I would not expect any deliveries of the Q8 before 2019-20 in the US. Audi spent 3 years mule testing (to their benefit) the new Q7. At the end of the day, it is a refresh of the old body style, and the A6 under-pinning. Audi has the resources -- financial and engineering -- to make the Q8 a reality. The Model X will be the driving force by taking some small share from a very profitable Audi CUV.

Currently, the Audi Q8 is merely a concept. Because of Audi's engineering, testing, service and attention to detail, I would love to see it become a reality. Unfortunately, for me it is too far into the future.

I agree 100% with your disappointment in Audi's speed, to a T. Or should I say A. Or Q. It is just sad watching how little Audi's "vorsprung" translates to these days.

One minor correction as a long-time Audi aficionado (amongst other Germans), the first-generation Q7 is not based on the A6. Audi allroad's CUVs are, though, the original and the A6 allroad's. The Q7 instead shares a platform with the Volkswagen Touareg and the Porsche Cayenne and is actually more of a "real" SUV. The second-generation Q7 uses the versatile MLB 2 platform, though, which will eventually be shared by most current longitudinal Audis.