Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X vs Garage......again

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That does look very strange. He kept saying “Vivian is going to kill me” so the only thing I can imagine is that it isn’t his car or he doesn’t normally drive it. He may have simply forgotten to close the door and thought the beeps were a seatbelt warning if he just jumped in and didn’t buckle up to pull the car into the garage. That’s just speculation though. Definitely weird.

• Funny
Reactions: MelaniainLA
The guy does not sound that upset, does he? His statements almost sound scripted. Or maybe he is too distracted by his phone? Definitely strange. Maybe he was, shall we say, not fully in command of his faculties at the time? They will be lucky if that is even repairable, I suspect.

Reactions: Xenius
Dont have sound but that looks.... staged. Opens the back door, hops right into the drivers seat and starts going forward. Then when he hops out he doesn't even hesitate as he reaches for the phone to take a picture. It seems most people would be freaking out, hands on thier head, etc. Guy just calmly hops out and goes for the phone.

Reactions: mal_tsla
The X provides very clear warnings that the door is open with a full-sized picture of the vehicle in the center screen accompanied by audible alerts. I’m really not sure how people manage to do this. Perhaps he mistook the audible alerts for the seatbelt warning, but the center display couldn’t be more obvious unless they made it flash red at you.

His movements seem too fluid for it to be scripted. The way he opens the falcon wing door and the driver’s front door come with experience, so IMO he is at least very familiar with the vehicle. I assume Vivian is his wife who will be raining hellfire down on him when she gets home. ;)

• Funny
Reactions: DrivingTheFuture
Idiot, that was obviously done on purpose. Opened falcon door for no reason. Then when he hops out first thing he does is pull out phone to take pics. Doesn't sound that upset either.

This is the age of the internet. Everyone wants their online 5 mins of fame.

Looser

It looks like he reaches into the rear door right before he gets into the driver seat. Possibly thinks he hit the close door button and missed it?

I bet he was on his phone while driving into the garage.

These videos are good reminders for me not to mess around when it comes to the x. Not worth it.

Reactions: Big Earl
It looks like a classic case of DUI (cell phone).
Rear gate closes.
Open Gull wing - look for something in back seat
Child seat present and empty.
Looking at cell phone getting into car
Drive into garage removing gull wing door.
Get out, more looks at cellphone.
Step back take pictures...

There must have been something REALLY INTERESTING on the cell phone.
Whatever it was, it was very expensive...

One can see in the video that the driver reaches for the touchscreen after sitting in the driver’s seat (presumably attempting to activate the CLOSE ALL button) and possibly stepped on the brake at approximately the same time. Seeing the drivers door close he may have presumed the CLOSE ALL button press was successful, whereas only the driver’s door closed (due to missing the CLOSE ALL button on the touchscreen but successfully pressing the brake pedal, hence closing only the driver’s door - necessary to shift into drive).

Super unfortunate - lessons for us all - check the touchscreen, acknowledge the source of audible signals.

Yet another mishap that likely would have been prevented had the car required the driver to explicitly override to shift into drive with FWD open.

Yet another mishap that likely would have been prevented had the car required the driver to explicitly override to shift into drive with FWD open.

+1 Is there any good reason for the car to allow you to drive when the door is open?

Minivan sliding doors can't be opened when the car is in D, although you could drive off when it is open.

No idea if this real or not. I would prefer model X not be drivable with FWD open to avoid any possibility of this happening. Our parking sensors alert when pulling into garage, I can see how owners could tend to ignore them after time and then remove
Their FWD unintentionally. It would be easy to have the option in the screen.