Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X vs Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not sure if this should be in the Model 3 Forum or the Model X Forum, and I am not trying to be "inflammatory" but just throwing this out there. In Canada, a well equipped Model X 100D is about CDN$146,000. I have not yet been able to configure a LR dual motor Model 3, but from what I have seen, I think the price for that would be around CDN$75K (more or less, in each case before tax?) - Please correct me if I am wrong.

While I get that they are 2 very different vehicles, and I don't really "need" the extra seating room in the Model X (I have 3 row SUV for taking the kids etc), any thoughts on what is effectively twice the price of the Model 3 to get a Model X?

I took an extended overnight test drive of the Model X a few months ago (drove my daughter up to Western etc) and I absolutely loved it, the kids loved it, it was awesome. But it is pretty much 2x the price of the Model 3.

I appreciate that it might be apples to oranges, but just throwing it out there for discussion. I am sure the Model 3 drives beautifully, is still a Tesla which everything that means, but the X, well that just seems like a space ship / car from the future and something truly different. But 2x the price?

• Love
Reactions: LukasSwan
Hi I was on a similar boat couple months ago, we ended up trading in both our gasoline cars for a model X instead of one for one. And would consider adding a model 3 in the future (if we ever find the need).

You need to find out how your family will use the Tesla before deciding on model X vs 3. Both are equally capable as a family car with X being a truly special example because it’s the first and for years to come, most practical EV in its category.

I live in Canada too, when we saw the $140k price tag on the 100D & 20% luxury taxes in BC it was scary to imagine at first for regular folks like us. We had to shift our thinking a little, with the price in hundreds of thousands we had to think of the X an extension to our home, not just transportation. Strangely though we got a little more excited after seeing it this way even with the hefty monthly payment. The FWDs seemed too much at first but they turned out to be very practical for our daughter and ourselves.

Model 3 is an amazing EV, it’s the best money can buy in a sedan, including gasoline imho. But the model X (pick up in a week) could become something totally different, especially for a family with kids and would love to travel. It’s so much more that in a sense that we know it’d add comforts and experience no other “cars” in the market can offer. I’m sure you feel the same way after your extended test drive.

You just need to search inside your heart if this feeling and intuition justify the x2 cost. Both X & 3 would be great choice!

I think they will be quite different vehicles. There's the obvious size difference and the interiors are quite different too. Is the Model X worth twice as much? Depends how much you value the space, extra straight-line performance of the X and whether or not you prefer the X interior. As you say the Model X is like a spaceship out of some sci-fi movie, the Model 3 not quite so much. But still a very desirable car with the same EV pedigree and core advantages over ICE equivalents. For us, the Model 3 would make a great second car, with the Model X as our primary family car for longer trips. The price is just what it is I'm afraid.

• Love
Reactions: LukasSwan
Model 3 is 3x the cost of a corolla or smart car, is it worth it? o_O

Yep, the whole concept of premium product pricing revolves around diminishing returns for your buck. It all comes down to how much you really value those premium products and of course how deep your pockets are! With the Model X vs Model 3 you are also comparing apples with oranges in terms of their functionality. So it's not easy to be objective about it!

Model X just for the biohazard mode alone , but then there’s the falcon doors, having the instrument cluster behind the steering wheel, more room to carry people and things , motorized doors all around which is super awesome and probably lots of other little cool things depending on which configuration you get. We have the captains chairs in row 2 and just love it! But we will also get a model 3 likely if not the roadster in a few years. Hell maybe a semi!
You really can’t go wrong!

• Funny
Reactions: Mrcook4590
One big thing that many observers fail to note is the ongoing cost of ownership.

If you jump through the right hoops with either the Model S or Model X, you can get free supercharging for the life of the car under your ownership. That's free fuel, as in almost $0.00/mile, or almost infinite miles per gallon, in ICE terminology.

That to me is a big deal. Significant to anybody that puts lots miles on their car.

Oh yeah, that option is not available to the Model 3.

Not unusual, in the automotive world, for a full sized SUV to cost twice what a small 4 door sedan will cost.

A Denali cost much more than a Chevy Cruze.

Model X rides on adjustable air suspension, towing capacity for 5,000 lbs, Panoramic windshield, dual LED displays, larger tires, wheels, and brakes. Higher sitting position, easier entrance and exit, more cup holders, Automatic doors, seating for up to 7, Camper, dog and self cooling modes. Magnificent Falcon Wing Doors, More room, more comfort, better ride, higher performance, unlimited free supercharging, larger frunk, a remote control key fob with buttons, high quality air filtration, Summons, automatic headlights and wipers, much greater storage, etc.

For many, these items will have little value or appeal. That is why the much less expensiveand super popular Model 3 was rolled out. Still have all the EV goodness, but at a lower price.

In the USA the tax benefits can make the actual net costs of a Model X much less than a comparable Model 3 to to special tax treatements for full sized SUVs. If you own a profitable business your accountant will explain how buying the SUV for business use will cost much less.

Oh, Yes. Almost forgot. It dances and puts on it's own light and music show at the push of a button. Something that now other vehicle in the world can do. (except maybe for some low-riders :)

Last edited:
We have both a Model X P100D and a Model 3. I'd say it really depends on if you need the extra space and utility of the Model X. I prefer the handling of the Model 3, but the Model X is a smoother ride. The Model 3 is more efficient and charges faster, which means less time charging on a road trip; but I miss the instrument cluster and extra screen controls in the X.

The Model X, even the 100D is quicker than the Model 3 even though it's less nimble, it's by no means a boat. It handles almost as well as my old BMW X6M did and that was a pretty amazing SUV.

I'd consider swapping the X for a performance 3, but the reality is I need to have at least one vehicle that can tow or haul a large amount of cargo. I don't have room for another vehicle, so it means one of the 2 daily drivers has to be able to provide the extra utility for a Lowe's, IKEA trip or tow.

Beyond your requirements, I think a lot of it will just come down to personal preference.

We have both and we find ourselves choosing the Model 3 over the Model X quite often. Mostly due to nimbleness and extended range, efficiency etc. However, if we have our 18 year old, 6' tall son in the backseat, we take the Model X. If your kids are young, the Model 3 will be a great car for you, if they are over 11 years old.... go with the Model X.

PS: You may think you will still use your ICE SUV after you get a Tesla, but you won't. You will find every excuse possible to never use it again. :D

I got the X100D for road trips and to haul 6 people around when we have guests. It's a fantastic road trip car. Kind of big when trying to park it though. Nonetheless, it's my choice for local driving for now as well.

We'll get a 3 as our local driving car, when we can get white seats at a non-P price. I'm looking forward to something a little smaller and sportier for short distance driving.

• Love
Reactions: rsbell
I have both the x and the model 3
X is much more comfortable than the 3
But the 3 is way more fun to drive. X is wife’s car and she likes suv, being high up
We have 100d x so range is about the same. I like smaller cars so 3 is more for me
For a larger family, x is a better choice.
X was double the price, but supercharger use is free so it will be vacation car.

We had the same dilemma. Live 5.5 hrs north of Vancouver, near Williams Lake. We got the X100D because we road trip a lot, about 5000km a month and with free supercharging it saves us about $1500 in gas a month compared to our Tundra which we used to take everyone and everything in on our weekends climbing and biking in Squamish/Whistler. Now we pay that in loan/insurance/electricity, so essentially we are getting the X free vs keeping our Subaru.

We bought the X after sitting in the 3 and realizing that it would just be used as a town car, and not our primary family vehicle that gets the most miles on it. Now I drive the Tundra to work, 80km a week. And put 1300 km/week on the X. My wife loves the X and so do our kids, the doors are very nice to use, and all the space inside is great. We use the 7 seats once in a while when family is around, and I usually sit on the bench seat with the girls while my wife drives up front. I can recline and sleep back there beside the car seats - its just a very useable car. If we lived in a city, we would sell the truck and get the 3 as well. But for now we need a truck on the acreage. Oh, and we got the X before the tax, inventory, etc etc so it was under 125 for the 100D.

I have a 3 and 5 year old. With car seats, in-laws and other family visiting, I need the space. Not to mention, I find the X to be the most comfortable to drive vs. the 3 and the S even. It's roomier, better sound with the acoustics in the cabin, amazing tech and it's no slouch in the performance department.

To each their own, but I want a "minivan" that is extremely fast and fun to drive. That's what the X is for me. It will be my town/family/trip car.

One big thing that many observers fail to note is the ongoing cost of ownership.

If you jump through the right hoops with either the Model S or Model X, you can get free supercharging for the life of the car under your ownership. That's free fuel, as in almost $0.00/mile, or almost infinite miles per gallon, in ICE terminology.

That to me is a big deal. Significant to anybody that puts lots miles on their car.

Oh yeah, that option is not available to the Model 3.
To me this is not a big deal especially with the efficiency of the 3. Charging at home is so easy I can’t see going to a SuperCharger just to fill up like gas. So we would use SuperChargers on trips a few times a year. Our last trip home (650 miles) cost us $16.20 in SuperCharger fees. Not bad in my book.

The full 2000 mile trip with some free and 110v Charging ran about $30 in SuperCharger fees.

Model 3 is 3x the cost of a corolla or smart car, is it worth it? o_O

GM tried to give me a Bolt last year with ridiculous private offers and BMW tried to give away their cock roach on bicycle wheels (i3) this year at half off MSRP.

Yet I’m angry at Elon for not letting me configure a M3 20k more expensive than any other M3 for a spoiler and white seats.

I’m either highly irrational or know what I’m doing. Pick one. :D