TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Model X vs Model S at supercharger

Discussion in 'Model X: Battery & Charging' started by SSD420, Jul 20, 2016.

1. SSD420

SSD420 Member

image.jpeg I'm currently at the supercharger in Barrie, ON with my Model X 90D. There's a Model S 90D charging here too.

I'm wondering why this Model S is soooooooooooo friggin' loud while charging. My MX is silent.

I walked passed the MS with my little dog and he got spooked.

My car will be finished charging momentarily, otherwise I'd consider waiting for the MS owner to ask him about it. It just seems so strange to me. The MS is definitely off and I don't think it's his AC. It's not hot here at all.

Any ideas?

• Helpful x 1
  2. Rocky_H

Rocky_H Member

Yeah, a couple of thoughts on it. The loudness is a combination of two items: air conditioning compressor and the fans blowing with it. There can be two reasons I can think of for it.

(1) The current reduces as the car gets more full. You mentioned “my car will be finished charging momentarily”, so you were mostly full and charging at a low current. The Model S may have been really empty and been there a short time. When the battery is almost empty, the Supercharger current will frequently be over 300 amps to start. The car needs to actively cool quite a bit when it’s running that high current, so it uses the A/C system to chill the liquid coolant in the battery pack. It will run this at maximum and be quite loud for a while.

(2) He may have been remotely cooling down his car in preparation for leaving, but that likely would not have been quite as loud.

• Helpful x 1
    • Informative x 1
  3. SSD420

SSD420 Member

Thanks! I guess that makes sense. He arrived seconds before me. I was only there about 35 minutes until I hit my 90% and was on my way