Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X vs Model S early delivery issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I read all the press coverage on the Model X early delivery issues, but I feel we went through a similar phase with the Model S launch as well. Remember the New York Times article that became a lightning rod and could have potentially killed the brand in early days of Model S ? Can someone, who was around during these boards when Model S was launched, comment on the volume of early issues reported in S and how it compares with the X ?

Early Model S problems: battery fires led to production shutdown, recall and retrofit, drivetrain hum that led to drivetrain failures, rain water that got trapped in the liftgate, door handles that stopped popping out, 12V batteries going dead, mobile chargers that would overheat, HPCs that blew fuses at 80A, rear seat recall due to recline latch failure, strange pixel noise on dash display required resets, problems with bluetooth phone connectivity, restricted charging rate due to garage fire risk.

It didn't seem all that bad at the time, and by 2014 pretty much everything had been addressed. Even when my drivetrain died at 44k miles, the Portland service center had me back on the road in 28 hours.

Reactions: loganintx
The majority of the X problems have to do with things new to the X vs S. Specifically the automated doors, but also the bluetooth key fob and potentially the windshield. Automated doors (both falcon wing and front) are causing the majority of complaints. I imagine they'll get those under control in a reasonable timeframe.

I think the expectation going into the X was that they'd "learned" from the S and wouldn't have issues. That only makes sense if you compare things that aren't new additions.

Sometimes I think of the items on my punchlist and they seem like a bunch of unnecessary problems. Most of the time, though, I'm able to just look at them as relatively easy to solve issues that will be behind us hopefully by the time summer road trip season arrives.

Reactions: xkwizit
Early Model S problems: battery fires led to production shutdown, recall and retrofit, drivetrain hum that led to drivetrain failures, rain water that got trapped in the liftgate, door handles that stopped popping out, 12V batteries going dead, mobile chargers that would overheat, HPCs that blew fuses at 80A, rear seat recall due to recline latch failure, strange pixel noise on dash display required resets, problems with bluetooth phone connectivity, restricted charging rate due to garage fire risk.

It didn't seem all that bad at the time, and by 2014 pretty much everything had been addressed. Even when my drivetrain died at 44k miles, the Portland service center had me back on the road in 28 hours.

Internal main battery fuse failures as well

I think the OP's mentioned NYT article might be re: "the Brodering". There's one you haven't heard for awhile! That particular case was malicious, agenda driven non-journalism ... not a problem, or "issue" w the car. Very bad for some time, but now who do you hear from/about most? Tesla/Elon/Model S or John Broder??! Ha!

• Funny
Reactions: xkwizit