Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X vs Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Off the bat, try out the compare tool on Compare | Tesla

To name a few off the top of my mind (by no means a comprehensive list):
  • Street cred. You are not driving the "Budget Tesla"
  • Falcon wing doors - great for parents with car seats or elderly people - also just a wow factor
  • Screen behind wheel/yolk in the X vs the 3/Y having to look off to the right to see how fast you're going.
    • Other apps go in this display... speed, navigation, energy usage, car info, media/Spotify, charging info, etc.
  • X 360 mile range vs Y 325 mile range
  • X 88 cubic feet vs Y 76 cubic feet of storage
  • X 3.8 0-60 vs Y 4.8 0-60
I am not completely clear on this but I think there are some "premium" features that are only on the X/S line... correct me if I am wrong. But they come with a better stereo system, things like a heated steering wheel and heated back seats are standard on the X. If you order the 2022 refresh you get cooled/AC seats standard too. I think I also heard power adjustable seats are no longer standard for the passenger seat on the 3/Y - only driver gets automatic seats on the Y. I could be off though.

I can also personally speak to the how safe the X is as it's body absorbs impact quite well 😒😒😒 Jury is still out on if the airbags are faulty or not.

Reactions: KerryOH
I would add to the list the existing X differences:
  • adjustable height air suspension and a less jarring ride.
  • Panoramic windshield
2021+ models will have:
  • Ventilated seats
  • Active Noise Cancelling
Active noise cancelling not yet activated in the refreshed S or X yet. Waiting for software update. Same with gaming in the rear and other stuff advertised, but not yet implemented.

Active noise cancelling not yet activated in the refreshed S or X yet. Waiting for software update. Same with gaming in the rear and other stuff advertised, but not yet implemented.
I don't think any new Xs have been shipped. But the hardware is there in the S so the features are coming. And no such features have been listed for the Y, which was what the OP was asking about. I am hoping they will be there when I get my new X in Jan/Feb 2022.

Last edited:
Reactions: jebinc
I don't think any new Xs have been shipped. But the hardware is there in the S so the features are coming. And no such features have been listed for the Y, which was what the OP was asking about. I am hoping they will be there when I get my new X in Jan/Feb 2020.
2020? Are you a time traveler?! I know, 2022. Just curious… a Plaid X vs S…. What drove you to the X? Space? I tossed both around in my head as well.

2020? Are you a time traveler?! I know, 2022. Just curious… a Plaid X vs S…. What drove you to the X? Space? I tossed both around in my head as well.
We just turned in our leased X (see signature) and are getting a replacement. Before we got the X we looked at the S, but my back is all messed up from years of sports and when I test drove the S it seemed like my back might start hurting after a while. Plus we were replacing a BMW X series, so another SUV was going to a familiar environment. And now that we are in the SUV mode, I don't think I will ever buy another coupe/sedan. On the other hand. my wife likes smaller and lower to the ground cars and that is why she has a 3 LR. Previously she had a BMW 335. Maybe she will get a Roadster someday. :eek:

Reactions: jebinc
.... things like a heated steering wheel and heated back seats are standard on the X. ... I think I also heard power adjustable seats are no longer standard for the passenger seat on the 3/Y - only driver gets automatic seats on the Y. I could be off though.

My May 2021 build of the Model Y has a heated steering wheel, and each of the 3 back seat positions has an independently-controlled heated seat.

The front passenger seat no longer has adjustable lumbar support, but the rest of the power adjustments are still there.

• Informative
Reactions: Ormond
X has option for 6 seats, which is good if you have 5-6 (adult) passengers for road trip; or 7 seats, which is OK for 7 passengers for road trip. With 7 seats option, 3rd row is for shorter people though, maybe up to 5'3".

3rd row in Y is a joke to me.

Also remember, Y is a compact SUV, X is not. The shoulder/hip room difference is big, Y is squeezed and less roomy.

X is significantly bigger overall with a much bigger battery for a lot more money, and there's no getting around that. The downsides are it's a lot more expensive to repair, insure, own, etc. It's just a lot of money for a car, even in today's wacky dollars. I never thought I'd cross shop it with something costing $30k less but, well, here I am.

I will say, the doors on X that I thought I would absolutely loathe, I actually kindof love. The falcon wings are a wacky feature that actually has some utility. But they also haven't broken on me yet*. The powered front doors also don't suck. Makes other cars feel broken.

If Model Y had been the only Tesla available at the time we were shopping back in September/October of 2020, we probably wouldn't own a Tesla. I went into it thinking I'd love it, and very much did not, even though I'm a huge Model 3 fan. As I've said before on here many times, I'm a weirdo who drives in circles for fun so when I like a car it usually means it will sell like crap. This is true for almost every car I've owned, actually, most of them have been niche cars. If I don't want one, odds are decent the general public will LOVE it.

I still think/hope there will be a refresh X Standard Range with about the same range as, say, a Y Performance. $95k -> $62k is a big gap with no crossover in the middle of that price point hole. The $70k midsize crossover price point is really, really fertile ground for conquests from other manufacturers if you can give people enough space, which X can. I'm not sure Y ever will unless they stretch the wheelbase by 8-10"

But first, they have to actually, you know, MAKE a refreshed model X for sale, and then sell a bunch at the higher price points, as one does when one is releasing a new Tesla model. Maybe a 2023 Stanard Range X will be a thing. That'd be rad. I don't need 350 miles of range so long as it doesn't turn into 175 miles of range when it's cold, and I don't need my quasi-minivan to run 11's in the 1/4 mile

*except for the time one of the latch strikers broke. But the door still worked!

Last edited:
X is significantly bigger overall with a much bigger battery for a lot more money, and there's no getting around that. The downsides are it's a lot more expensive to repair, insure, own, etc. It's just a lot of money for a car, even in today's wacky dollars. I never thought I'd cross shop it with something costing $30k less but, well, here I am.

I will say, the doors on X that I thought I would absolutely loathe, I actually kindof love. The falcon wings are a wacky feature that actually has some utility. But they also haven't broken on me yet*. The powered front doors also don't suck. Makes other cars feel broken.

If Model Y had been the only Tesla available at the time we were shopping back in September/October of 2020, we probably wouldn't own a Tesla. I went into it thinking I'd love it, and very much did not, even though I'm a huge Model 3 fan. As I've said before on here many times, I'm a weirdo who drives in circles for fun so when I like a car it usually means it will sell like crap. This is true for almost every car I've owned, actually, most of them have been niche cars. If I don't want one, odds are decent the general public will LOVE it.

I still think/hope there will be a refresh X Standard Range with about the same range as, say, a Y Performance. $95k -> $62k is a big gap with no crossover in the middle of that price point hole. The $70k midsize crossover price point is really, really fertile ground for conquests from other manufacturers if you can give people enough space, which X can. I'm not sure Y ever will unless they stretch the wheelbase by 8-10"

But first, they have to actually, you know, MAKE a refreshed model X for sale, and then sell a bunch at the higher price points, as one does when one is releasing a new Tesla model. Maybe a 2023 Stanard Range X will be a thing. That'd be rad. I don't need 350 miles of range so long as it doesn't turn into 175 miles of range when it's cold, and I don't need my quasi-minivan to run 11's in the 1/4 mile

*except for the time one of the latch strikers broke. But the door still worked!
Also, the auto-presenting front doors never get old. You just walk up and the doors unlock and open a bit or optionally, wide open. You get and the doors close automatically. And when you leave just push the doors close and they close and lock themselves. You get spoiled. I cannot tell you how many times I walked away from our 3 and left the doors partially closed because I did not slam them shut.

On the standard range X, they tried that with the 75 kWh battery X. 220 miles of range EPA highway. 160 miles driving at 80-85 mph in warm weather, less when cold. The X is a heavy car with a lot of frontal area drag. Anything much smaller than 100 kWh is not going to have a good range.

That was before a heat pump, etc. I think an 82-kwh or 85-kwh battery would be plenty. Lifetime so far (starting in December of last year) is 283 wh/mi for my LR+ X, over 10,500 miles. Figure 275wh/mi for a refresh car with a smaller battery, just from being lighter and slightly better aero. Then add in the efficiency of the heat pump and the other improvements, using a Model Y set of drive units and/or the old Raven motor setup...85000/275 -> 309 miles so 300 is totally doable with 15% less battery (which Tesla can't get enough of...so maybe it's wishful thinking but I'm hoping their battery constraints incentivize them to find new and exciting ways to sell fewer cells in more cars)

I have the auto-present turned off. Too inconsistent

Last edited: