TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Model X vs S

Discussion in 'Model X' started by rainforest, Mar 28, 2017.

1. rainforest

rainforest Member

I just got a loaner Model S P90D today, and first impression is that both cars drive similarly, though of course the Model S is much lower and handles better. Two obvious things stood out in the first 30 minutes I drove it: regenerative braking is not as strong as in the X, and the stock sound system in the X is much better and immediately noticeable. I'm not a big fan of the S low profile tires as they don't feel very forgiving, but they do look good.

2. DougH

DougH Active Member

I have had several S's since 2013 and I really liked them, then I grew up and got fat. Model X is a blast to drive and the windshield is amazing and all the space inside. I don't think I would ever go back to an S.

• Funny x 1
  3. Mark Z

Mark Z Active Member

Just took delivery of a Model S 90D (19" wheels) with all options except rear facing seats. I am impressed with the quieter interior sound level on noisy concrete freeways compared with my 2012 Signature P85. It has great acceleration and handling with a similar luxury feel like Model X. Before the purchase, I decided that Model S was a better fit for me for the style, efficiency, and convenience. It also helped when friends who were driven in both Model S and Model X decided they enjoyed riding in Model S. They may have a different attitude today with the 5 seat Model X that I think everyone should consider since it has very practical Model S style fold down seat functionality.

While I loved the Big Sky windshield of Model X, having the sun blocked more often with Model S is enjoyable. Now I only have to wear a visor band if the sun is at a bad angle with the sunroof.

Above all, everyone considering Model S or X should sit in the driver's seat and attach the seatbelt for awhile. Adjust the seats and see if the non-moveable Model S seatbelt is too high. If it is, then consider an older used Model S with the lower shoulder seat belt position or try Model X with the adjustable shoulder seat belt.

Choose what is best for you and your passengers to enjoy the pleasure of driving a Tesla electric vehicle.

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  4. NikeWings

NikeWings Active Member

I love them both, and like any two cars, they each have their "bests". (Low profile tires on both.)
    But, I take the S because I love the open pano, unless its rainy or cold when I love being in the X especially with a storm overhead.

If I had to pick one, it would be the S without hesitation.

5. P85DBeast

P85DBeast Side tEsLa

Personally I like the Model S design better. The X looks kinda weird but that doesn't mean I wouldn't own one.:D

• Like x 3
  6. hill

hill Member

@rainforest you didn't mention soc of either vehicle so it may simply be the model x charge was more full. That would account for the different regen feel - in addition to weight difference. We've had both & notice no difference.

7. DougH

DougH Active Member

I thought it looked weird too, until I saw a black one with black 22"s.....:D

• Like x 1
    • Funny x 1
  8. rainforest

rainforest Member

Oh - you're right. Service Centre charged the S to 100%.

9. HabitualUser

HabitualUser Member

I prefer the X for the height - easier to get in/out for my old self. And I like sitting higher while driving, it feels safer to me.

10. Peteybabes

Peteybabes redneck drivin' a tesla...

honestly the S looks a bit better to me, but i'm a big dude and the X spoils me :)

• Like x 2
  11. MTOman

MTOman Member

Coming from a single motor S to a dual motor X I can tell a huge difference in regen, the X is much stronger, I love it. I suspect this is due to the dual motor because I felt the same thing with a dual motor loaner S.

I was super worried about moving from the S to the X, I obsessed over it for months. I really loved my S and couldn't imagine loving another vehicle as much. I was worried the X wouldn't drive the same, would feel cumbersome and not nimble, I was worried it was too ugly (the pictures on the order page aren't the most flattering, IMHO), I was worried it wouldn't have enough storage space, I was worried I was going to miss things about my S like the sunroof.

In the end, I love the X even more than the S! It's noticeably faster than my S was and I actually prefer the slightly more cushioned feeling of the X on standard height, when put it on the low settings it feels more like my S used to. I don't think it's ugly in person, though the S is still a better looking vehicle. I will say this, the X definitely draws a bigger crowd than my S when those FW doors open :D I absolutely love the windshield and would take it any day over a sunroof I only occasionally used. All in all I'm very happy I made the switch, though occasionally a tear still collects in the side of my eye when I think about my old S :p

• Like x 1
  12. bak_phy

bak_phy Member

I've owned both and the X is really better in just about every possible way. The one big downside is that it looks like the fat version of the sexy S.

• Like x 1
  13. GoTzillaR

GoTzillaR Member

I had an S90D for a little bit over a month as a loaner. The regen was harsher and the standard suspension was bouncing way more than the air suspension in X. Although I like the front end on an S better, I'd never get an S to be my own car.

14. Jrogville

Jrogville Member

I can so relate. I love my S, but I'm getting too old and my leg bothers me getting in and out of such a low car. I'm about to switch to an X for the height, and the general tone of this thread bolsters my decision. Of course, it's probably to be expected, given this the Model X forum, but still....

• Like x 1
  15. DougH

DougH Active Member

#15 DougH, Apr 1, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2017
    You will love the X. No more bending down to look at traffic lights, no more hitting the B pillar, gorgeoue windshield, cooled seats, Falcon doors, auto front door. The X's is an amazing vehicle.

16. mikevbf

mikevbf Member

Tend to agree with you, but the cooled seats are not offered any more. Maybe the leather will be less wrinkled without the holes.

17. MTOman

MTOman Member

Getting in and out of the X is sooo much easier than the S! My dad told me misses how beautiful my S was but loves the X because he can get in and out of it so easily. I like that I don't hit my head anymore getting in and out, something I was doing on a regular basis in my S :confused:

18. vandacca

vandacca ReActive Member

Your name wouldn't be Ludvig by any chance? ;)

19. P85DBeast

P85DBeast Side tEsLa

We should really rent an X for a week to see if we agree with all of these quirks. That you dont get in the S. If my wife likes it then..........HEY! She's going to get a 100D X. It might be good to give our garage some diversity. lol:D

• Love x 1
  20. DougH

DougH Active Member

wow really?, that sucks!. My X for sale just got better!