Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X vs Volvo XC90

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyways, here the Tesla presentation slide, but given their recent behavior I will remain skeptical until we have more concrete data and real world results.

Tesla has never been misleading with the safety of their vehicles. Ever. There's no data to suggest they'd be misleading with the X. Safety is the most important thing to Elon and to Tesla, and has been since day one. Customers had to wait for their P85Ds because the next gen seats they'd planned to put in those cars didn't safety with 5*'s. If ever there's a sure thing it is that the Model X will ace NHTS's crash tests.

Another nice "feature" if you order any Volvo is that with the Overseas Delivery program, you get two fee tickets to fly to Sweden to pick it up at the factory. They also include a night at a hotel, some local transportation, a meal, factory tour and initial insurance and registration fees so that you can drive your new car around Europe for up to 6 months. When you are done, you can drop it off and they will ship it to the US. I was waiting for the plug-in XC90 T8 for quite some time and almost ordered. Then the S70D was announced and I started looking into Tesla. The range on electric for the XC90 isn't as good as it could've been but it would probably work for the commutes of most drivers. It definitely had tons of storage and really comfortable seats that actual fold flat!

The problem is Overseas Delivery for the XC90 has been sold out for months. They told me maybe next year there will be more allotment.

5000 lb towing capacity as standard and the T8 does 5.6 seconds on 0-62 mph without rollout, at least. Not sure about the others.

So about the same towing as the X, and .2s faster in the 0-60 over a non-performance X (I believe that was 5.8 IIRC)

The XC90 hands down. It is truly amazing.

Have you driven the latest model?

The problem is Overseas Delivery for the XC90 has been sold out for months. They told me maybe next year there will be more allotment.

My wife is very interested in that as well, but just about every thing we looked at said excludes XC90. How does that work anyway? They say free airfare and hotel stay, but I assume it's rolled into the (then-higher) price of the vehicle?

The Volvo plug in is the only other car I have considered getting other than a Model X. The reason I started even looking at it is that the closest Tesla Service center is 100 miles from me and Tesla seems to be changing their policy for Ranger visits. I am worried that my choices when The MX has a warranty issue are I will have to either pay $600+ for a ranger visit or lose a day at a service center. Where as, a Volvo service center is about 18 miles from me and I can get a loaner or get picked up by my wife and live with one car. The reasons I am still leaning toward a Model X is that I believe its low center of gravity and thus cornering performance is going to be significantly better. I doubt the Volvo or any CUV (outside of the Porche) comes any where close to the handling of a Model S like the the X does. The other reason I lean toward the X is electric range. At best from what I have gathered so far it will have 25 mile range on all electric. That does not even cover my day to day. I am completely willing to to pay more and not have second row folding seats, if Tesla will cover in warranty ranger visits. Until their ranger policy becomes clear as regards my situation the Volvo stays on my radar.

I will point out again, as I did in a previous thread, C&D returned 27MPG over a 90 mile drive, with a full battery. I haven't run the numbers but that seems to be around ~18MPG after you run out of "juice."

That's a bit hard to swallow, if you do much driving over the 20 mile EV range C&R also achieved. Of course, it will still be efficient for many.

Last edited:
How does that work anyway? They say free airfare and hotel stay, but I assume it's rolled into the (then-higher) price of the vehicle?
The price of the vehicle is fixed and LOWER than the price you would pay for a car at the dealership since it didn't have all the dealer markup. No haggling involved. Here's the price list http://www.flyvolvo.com/XC90T8MY16.pdf

Last edited:
XC90 PHEV info

I have been looking at an XC90, but decided against it. It's a nice car, but limited in terms of it's electric mode.

The answers to your questions are as best as I know--

1. 10 to 20 miles with a 9.9kWh total battery capacity. But the electric motor only drives the rear wheels and the ICE only drives the front. Thus, to be in AWD mode, both the ICE and the EV motor must be in use.
2. 5,000 pounds.
3. 10.5"
4. 0 to 60mph in 5.9s with both the ICE and EV motors. EV alone, it's apparently slow, and if you press the accelerator too hard, the ICE will turn on.

Ultimately, we decided not to get the Volvo, even though it looks great. The EV part just looks too constrained. I fear that if we were to get it, the ICE would turn on too much for my liking, especially as we live on the top of a steep hill. I own a Volt now, and a battery capacity smaller than what the Volt has would drive me nuts.

A better option may be the Audi Q7 PHEV, as it's supposed to have a decently-sized 16kWh battery. However, it still hasn't been announced for sale in the US.

Even though there are issues with the Model X, we decided to put a deposit down for one, as it does not look like any car manufacturer is interested in making a 7-seater EV anytime soon. Even the future Audi E-Tron Quattro Concept only has 4(!) seats, and won't be delivered until at least 2018.

The Volvo XC90 spec page is hard to navigate and I can't find answers to my questions so I'll just list the questions

Questions:
1. How far can it go on electric only?
2. Don't see a towing package, maybe I missed it, how much can it tow/rated/class/whatever...
3. How much ground clearance?
4. How fast 0 to 60? Rollout or no rollout, I don't care and I don't care about HP, I know some do, but not me, IMHO it doesn't matter, micro rant off
5. Why can't I get non-silver wheels? Grrrr

Lot's of good stuff on the XC90, check out the PDF!

I wanted to wait on the X. I too am trying to mull it over. At least with the T8 you can believe what the specs/capabilities of the car are. They published all the specs months ago.

This is what is so frustrating. I REALLY REALLY want the X, but after YEARS of waiting, the specs/capabilities/deliveries are still left to people in forums to guess at... and the car has already been released.

Very close to just forgetting about the X and deciding if the S will work for me or if I should go with the T8.

After years for coulds and shoulds and "probably in the future", and the same after the "launch" the disappointment I feel that it probably (who knows really) won't meet my needs, is immense and I don't think I could take any more. If I hang in there and it ends up being another year for my production res # to come up, I could not take it. Meanwhile my old SUV stays around when it could have been replaced with something much better.

I hate to describe it as heartbreaking, but that's kind of what it feels like. At some point Tesla will not be able to treat their loyalists like this let alone the car buying public in general.

My wife is very interested in that as well, but just about every thing we looked at said excludes XC90. How does that work anyway? They say free airfare and hotel stay, but I assume it's rolled into the (then-higher) price of the vehicle?
We did the Overseas Delivery for an XC90 a few years ago. Of course demand was lower for the XC90 then. Four of us traveled to Gothenberg, Sweden in late June, just before the factory closed for re-tooling.
The price was list minus a small factory incentive offered at the time.
Arrangements through Volvo's Overseas Delivery people.
No up-charge for the tickets on Scandinavian Airlines. Two of the four tix were paid for and they offered 2-nights stay in a nice Radisson Hotel in town as well as a car to the factory the next day.

Factory tour, lunch of Swedish meatballs, and a showroom where our car was waiting for our inspection.

They set us up with a European DVD for the Nav and I paid 80 Euro for insurance for a month of travels around Europe.
Great vacation. Dropped the car off in Munich and flew home. Picked up the car at the same local dealer about 6 weeks later.

I think the question may be, if you were to pick a "2nd best SUV" what would it be :). Performance, safety, and greenness is all Model X, but....

The XC90 I saw in a parking lot looked pretty big with lots of useful space, not sure what the cargo comparison with the MX is though. Other things that have got me thinking about the XC90:

1) Fully loaded, it would be $20k less than a pretty loaded MX (estimate), with less wait for delivery
2) The T8 could get about 20 miles on EV mode and my work "commute" is about 6 miles/day round trip
3) Biggest road trips for the family car, we've found, to be ski trips and more rural areas (as kids get older) and wife still does not like the "delays" of charging, certainly at a non-Supercharger. Destination charging is hit/miss and we are not at the point where we alter our hotel based on charging availability.
4) Interior lux level on the Volvo has got to be top 1 or 2; really nice, imo.
5) The XC90 has some very stylish, fresh trims and wheel options
6) Still haven't bought into the whole falcon-wing door thing; and the kids have done fine with slowly opening the passenger doors and getting in/out of our Model S. Certainly, for those using baby carriers, etc, the Model X rear entry would be pretty convenient.

But the electric motor only drives the rear wheels and the ICE only drives the front. Thus, to be in AWD mode, both the ICE and the EV motor must be in use.

As I pointed out earlier, that part really bothers me. Only 20% of the max 400hp system power can be send to the rear axle.

Interior lux level on the Volvo has got to be top 1 or 2; really nice, imo.

Not just the interior. The leather key fob is awesome. Also they already have working semi-autonomous driving (aka Auto Pilot).

There is still something about the Model X that feels special to me though and not because its BEV.

volvo_xc90_first-edition_key_15.jpg

Good discussion all. What started off as idle musings has us contacting our local dealership to go check out a 2016 XC90. Not the electric version, but certainly worth a serious look.

She's amazed they'll cover your flight overseas with no crazy markup

I went and looked at this vehicle. It is beautiful. It's definitely my close second choice at this point. Leather feels great, screen works well, wood inlay is amazing. I'm also torn about the "hybrid", with the annoyance of lugging the ICE around, vs not worrying about charging on trips. The e range would cover half my commute. Tough choices. Still leaning towards X, despite the unknowns and higher price etc.

I will point out again, as I did in a previous thread, C&D returned 27MPG over a 90 mile drive, with a full battery. I haven't run the numbers but that seems to be around ~18MPG after you run out of "juice."

That's a bit hard to swallow, if you do much driving over the 20 mile EV range C&R also achieved. Of course, it will still be efficient for many.

I can not locate that other thread. Would you please provide the C&D or C&R link. Thanks

I didn't give the specifics in the other thread, just commented on its poor efficiency...but here is the link to the article:

2016 Volvo XC90 First Drive Car and Driver

Thanks. Here is the exact quote from C&D:

"A full battery charge should deliver about 20 miles of pure electric driving range. In our hands, the XC90 T8 reported an average of 27 mpg over a 90-mile drive that began with a full battery."

It does not sound like they actually tried to see how far they could go in all electric, but rather estimated it. If I were to own this vehicle, I would want to drive it in all electric 90% of the time. I wonder how the car feels and behaves with its 90 hp electric rear motor? It would be hard to believe, it could come any where close to the Model X without dipping significantly into the gas engine which as the article points out creates its own handling issues related to FWD cars.