Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X vs Volvo XC90

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I find it quite interesting that this thread should pop up today. My wife and I tested an XC90 yesterday and are going back today with the kids to see if they're able to get into the third row without help and if the carseats fit.

Things we liked about the Volvo:

- Heads up display
- Wife likes the styling
- Sensus system is actually pretty easy to use.
- Kick foot under the rear to open the rear hatch
- Fuel economy is alright for a vehicle of that size.

Things we didn't like about the Volvo:
- Cupholders in the rear are kind of a joke
- 1 (ONE) USB port in the whole car (as far as I can tell)
- No option for captain's chairs in the second row
- Fuel economy is just alright for a vehicle of that size.

IMO, the T8 isn't really worth the extra money given the low battery range.

Plug-in hybid XC90 matches Tesla for acceleration

Not sure if its the 85D or rwd 85 they compared to. But perhaps I dismissed the XC90 T8 drivetrain too quickly.

I still think the new XC90 front end design is somewhat questionable.

"Volvo claims the 5,000-pound (PHEV model) XC90 matches or surpasses the acceleration of a Tesla Model S for the first three seconds when you tromp the throttle. In the chart above (acceleration in meters per second per second on the vertical axis, time in seconds on the horizontal axis), the Tesla (red line) starts quickly, but the XC90 jumps ahead within the first half second and remains ahead until about 3 seconds. The old V8 XC90 (blue line) is shown for comparison. Volvo rates the XC90 T8 at about 5.6 seonds 0-60 mph, within a second of the Tesla’s time."

Volvo-XC90-vs.-Tesla-acceleration.jpg

The XC90 is a very nice car, especially the T8.

But I've seen some of the new ones in traffic: the front grill is about as far off on the other side of the scale, design wise, as compared to the MX.

It's a matter of esthetics I suppose.

c68eaf04db7d1b80bfe683df0509aa96.jpg

I'd actually prefer the XC90 front to the X.

That said, we went and saw it and coming from a Q7, it's just too small. The OSD sounded great and it was cheaper than buying the car here in the states (and you get a vacation on top!), but the rep we spoke to said to expect 17 miles all electric range and that's it's best to drive in hybrid mode.

In the end the small second row and wimpy cup holders sealed the deal. Very nice, but not for us.

On the way back we stopped at another dealer, but that's another thread -_-

So about the same towing as the X, and .2s faster in the 0-60 over a non-performance X (I believe that was 5.8 IIRC)
Have you driven the latest model?
My wife is very interested in that as well, but just about every thing we looked at said excludes XC90. How does that work anyway? They say free airfare and hotel stay, but I assume it's rolled into the (then-higher) price of the vehicle?

We have both an X and an XC90 T8 on order. We ordered the XC90 this past summer (July I believe), and have a delivery date of mid December. I priced the X and the XC90, and both configured pretty close to the same ended up with the XC90 T8 being almost to the $ of being $30,000 less than the X. We ordered our X on the reveal night several years ago. The X has a federal tax incentive of 7,500, and the XC90 T8 is just under $5000. We have driven the XC90 a couple of times, and came away very impressed. The Sensus touch screen works well too. Plus, Volvo and Tesla are both known for their safety. We just have to decide which will be best for us....

In the US, the XC90 T8 would actually be cheaper in most cases. It still qualifies for some state and federal tax incentives. I don't remember the exact number but I think they would total around $10600 in Colorado (of which about $4600 would be federal) vs. $13500 for a new Tesla or $6000 for a used Tesla.

You're absolute that we still receive our $6000 state credit on our taxes even when purchasing used? This may sway me to look at used Model S' rather than wait for my Model X "70D" option for another year...Thanks for the info. Also would you be able to provide me with your tax contact you use to file every year in a personal message? I need someone who understands EV incentives. Thanks!

Good discussion all. What started off as idle musings has us contacting our local dealership to go check out a 2016 XC90. Not the electric version, but certainly worth a serious look.

She's amazed they'll cover your flight overseas with no crazy markup

I don't know what the stats are now, but in 2010 Volvo said buyers who took delivery in Sweden through the program were 90% likely to buy another Volvo in the future. Correlation vs causation? Who knows. They see it as an investment in future sales.

You're absolute that we still receive our $6000 state credit on our taxes even when purchasing used? This may sway me to look at used Model S' rather than wait for my Model X "70D" option for another year...Thanks for the info. Also would you be able to provide me with your tax contact you use to file every year in a personal message? I need someone who understands EV incentives. Thanks!
The Colorado tax credit is good on used cars that have not been previously registered in the state of Colorado. There are several other threads that mention the tax credit and how it has been used successfully on used cars but it can take several months before the refund is received. There is actually a used car dealer up near Boulder that "imports" used Chevy Volts from out of state and promises they are eligible for the state tax credit.

I haven't actually claimed the tax credit on a used car yet (but may if I go for a used D). I actually file my own taxes with TurboTax and on the state's tax website. I'll search and see if I can find the other threads that I found reporting success.

Euroncap tests for S and XC90, reveals why Elon focused on side pole as that was a downfall of the S.

While the lab tests can reveal particular area of weakness of each car (e.g.2016 XC90 has less than spectacular HIC-15 performance on IIHS side test), the Model S and the XC90 for that matter are still some of the safest vehicles money can buy.

Your post did led me to something interest and I can see why Elon choose to show the side pole test in the Model X presentation.

The stiff underbody structure really helps in the pole test. You can see how the model S tilt to a much larger angle compare to other vehicles in this test.

vlcsnap-2015-10-03-15h28m40s184.png

For the side mobile barrier crash test, because it largely misses the stiff underbody tray. Intrusion into the cabin is more pronounced.

vlcsnap-2015-10-03-15h28m06s135.png
vlcsnap-2015-10-03-15h27m49s228.png

p.s. Euro NCAP updated the side pole test for 2015 to an even tougher standard (32 vs 29km/h and comes in at an angle), so the result is not directly comparable to the XC90 by the way.

4. 0 to 60mph in 5.9s with both the ICE and EV motors. EV alone, it's apparently slow, and if you press the accelerator too hard, the ICE will turn on.

This does not matter to everyone, but it does not seem PHEV's allow performance car (or even average) acceleration AND zero emissions at the same time. A BEV like a Tesla simply offers a combination of strengths other drivetrains cannot.

Tesla has never been misleading with the safety of their vehicles. Ever. There's no data to suggest they'd be misleading with the X. Safety is the most important thing to Elon and to Tesla, and has been since day one. Customers had to wait for their P85Ds because the next gen seats they'd planned to put in those cars didn't safety with 5*'s. If ever there's a sure thing it is that the Model X will ace NHTS's crash tests.

It appears that Model S actually performed worse on the injury measures compared to Q5 and XC60 despite having much less cabin intrusion in the pole test.

Link to NHTSA report for Model S.

Since the supercharging letter, P85D rated motor power and 0-60mph roll out saga, I became a little bit more skeptical of Tesla. Looks like my earlier suspicion is not without ground.

I still want the Model X though, can't quite explain why. Must be the Falcon door and the frunk.

This has to be the S85. The Model S P90D Ludicrous has around 1.1 G for the first 3 seconds, or 11 m/s^2. The Model X P90D Ludicrous should have a bit less, maybe around 9 m/s^2. I'm thinking the Model X 90D will most likely stay above XC90 T8 across the entire range, though not by much.

Last edited:
The XC90 was in our sight to replace our aging Volvo until We started to look into Tesla and the MS won hand down for us.
I had a close look at the car at the Geneva auto salon back in March and I was disappointed by the quality of the interior of the XC90. I had already ordered my TMS a month before the show so my impression was certainly biaised ...

Maybe Tesla is not much better, but for a similar price (in France) we get to drive one of the most formidable car on the planet :love:

Hmm... This thread is really surprising to me in terms of which users are seriously considering this car. I really hope that Tesla reads this...

Personally I will never buy anything with a dino-engine again after enjoying my two lovely EVs for the last couple years. For me its 100% drivetrain related. Dont have the environmental gene yet to be honest, but simply love they way an electric car drives!

At the same time I am very happy that I cancelled my X-reservation and bought a P85D instead since I would never have bought the X with the info available now. Hoping for a serious X-facelift in 3-4years when I fear my small boys have grown out of the Model S rearseats.

But a hybrid with a wimpy little electric motor comparable to that in my VW e-up! ? Come on guys! Please dont;)

Tesla: bring out those foldable/reclinable captains chairs;)

I priced a well-equipped XC-90 PHEV on the Volvo Canada site, came to $96K before taxes.

Not sure I would spend that much for an ICE ever again... but that's me.

At the risk of sounding like a Volvo sales person, I think you mean AFTER tax. Note the 3rd line in price section is tax. An absolutely fully loaded XC90 T8 is $89,000 before tax in Canada.

I would speculate that a Model X 90D similarly equipped will be at arround CAD$145,000. This is based on a loaded Model S 90D plus another $6000 estimated Model X premium. Not sure if I had want to spend that much on a EV.

Just kidding, of course I plan on getting the Model X once they work out the initial kinks.

Screen Shot 2015-10-03 at 5.19.26 PM.png

No way would I ever buy another ICE and much less a Volvo. Wouldn't be seen dead in one of those stodge cars but that's just me.

Hmm... This thread is really surprising to me in terms of which users are seriously considering this car. I really hope that Tesla reads this...

Don't be so naive. No one is serious (I hope). It's just used as a bargaining chip like it's been used a few times before.